Author Topic: Strikemaster ice auger trouble starting  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Rially927

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikemaster ice auger trouble starting
« on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:04 AM »
I have an old strikemaster TC300 ice auger and have trouble starting it.  I took it to a small engine repair shop and got the carburetor cleaned a carburetor kit installed.  When it starts it runs awesome.  Trouble is I have a terrible time to get it started.  I will pull the rope 50 times and won't fire.  If I take a propane torch and heat the head a little it fires right off.  Any suggestions?

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strikemaster ice auger trouble starting
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:13 AM »
You probably checked the spark plug gap already, but if not could look at it or try a different plug.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Take back to the people who 'fixed' it!!! It's not fixed if you can't start it!!!!  >:(
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rially927

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:17 AM »
It had a new plug in it when I took it to shop and they put another new one in it.  Does anyone know what the gap should be?

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Maybe a hairline crack in a plastic fuel line elbow.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Ok try a new plug ...gap it .... how is the spark ...nice and bright ? Is your mix fresh ? Any leaks on the carb ...there is a plastic nipple insert that cracks on the seam and leaks and sucks air .Some carbs are sometimes times to far gone even for a rebuild .Could try a SeaFoam treatment.My auto mechanic buddy has rebuilt several SM carbs ...but one just would not work...new carb and it was race ready

Fill auger tank 1/4 w/proper oil/gas mix to that add Seafoam 2oz or more ...mix ....run auger till warmed up...then kill motor via the choke .....let sit half hour repeat ...let sit over night ...should fix some of the woes .

Should add location to your profile

DROCK ICE is good to work with ...should you need parts ...even a reasonably priced carburetor call and they will help with proper selection 

http://www.drockicecenter.com/640363-fuel-inlet-elbow/

http://www.drockicecenter.com/zama-carburetor/

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:19 AM »
It had a new plug in it when I took it to shop and they put another new one in it.  Does anyone know what the gap should be?

believe its .30......Champion CJ6Y...works in mine and all my buddies SM Mag 2000
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Rially927

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I use aviation fuel mixture.  Before I took it to the shop it would start right off but would only run for 30 seconds or so but would not rev. and and then would die and could not get it to start after that until it sat for a bit.. They got it to run and rev.  After it is started and runs now for a bit I can shut it off and it will start on first pull every time until it gets cold again..

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:38 AM »
That nipple is not included in any rebuild kit ...my buddy has his quit between start ups on the ice ... I have had plugs just quit on ice also ...broke my cord on that day trying to start it ..lil fix of the cord and new plug good to go ...plugs need to be gapped too

try the SeaFoam technique I posted earlier ...I store mine wet ...and start once a month or so ...only use ethanol regular grade fuel ....Opti2.. and a shot of SeaFoam.

Offline Rially927

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:49 AM »
OK thanks ..I will try.. I also use opti2.. Now here's a dumb question.  On my auger I says use 25:1 mixture.  Opti2 says it's good for all mixtures no matter what the ratio.. Do you mix you opti2 to the proper ratio or just to the ratio opti2 suggests?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:55 AM »
OK thanks ..I will try.. I also use opti2.. Now here's a dumb question.  On my auger I says use 25:1 mixture.  Opti2 says it's good for all mixtures no matter what the ratio.. Do you mix you opti2 to the proper ratio or just to the ratio opti2 suggests?

I get the one gallon pouch of OPTI2 ...mix one gallon of ethanol gas ...shot of SeaFoam ...

http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29778

Offline Rially927

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Ok. I have the bottles but it has the marks on the side and I do as it says..thx

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2017, 12:17 PM »
believe its .30......Champion CJ6Y...works in mine and all my buddies SM Mag 2000

Yup it's .030

http://stevelarsen.com/ice_shanty/tc300.pdf
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2017, 12:48 PM »
sounds like its running lean in cold temps being if you heat the head up it fires easily..main jet to small maybe? adjust the carb screws yet.?plug gap wont do that imo. 

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2017, 01:58 PM »
Very important. Replace THAT PLASTIC NIPPLE. Very important.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2017, 02:31 PM »
Could be a weak coil.  You head up the combustion chamber making the fuel mixture easier to ignite
Don

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Also make sure both the gas tank and the fuel line are clean ...old  oil/gas mix could of dried up ...and flake off particles ...gas lines can break down and flake off also.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:11 PM »
I fought my TC300 for several years before I finally figured it out.

The fix: Check the gap between the flywheel and magneto(i think that's what it's called). There are 2 screws that hold the gap, I had 1 of  the screws come loose.

Take a business card and place it between the flywheel and the magneto. It should just be snug. It does not hurt to clean both surfaces of the 2 parts. Tighten 2 screws with your new gap set.

This worked for me, never seen this before.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:47 AM »

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:54 AM »
Maybe a hairline crack in a plastic fuel line elbow.
agreed, I had strikemaster mag 3 given to me that did the same thing and had sat for 7 years. Once I changed the inlet connector (it was cracked so Im thinking after it set for a while it would lose vacuum and let air in fuel line) it would start easier, ran some carb cleaner thru it, new plug and properly adjusted carb and now she fires 1st or 2nd pull.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:18 AM »
agreed, I had strikemaster mag 3 given to me that did the same thing and had sat for 7 years. Once I changed the inlet connector (it was cracked so Im thinking after it set for a while it would lose vacuum and let air in fuel line) it would start easier, ran some carb cleaner thru it, new plug and properly adjusted carb and now she fires 1st or 2nd pull.

Those nipples can leak fuel something fierce ...so finding and fixing is EZPZ...but when they just suck air or seep just a little ...you will chase your tail round and round ...new plug...new gas/oil mix...proper/re-gap everything ... checking spark over and over...checking for water in the gas....replacing the gas cap ...spray/rebuild the carburetor ....that little nipple  ::)

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Those nipples can leak fuel something fierce ...so finding and fixing is EZPZ...but when they just suck air or seep just a little ...you will chase your tail round and round ...new plug...new gas/oil mix...proper/re-gap everything ... checking spark over and over...checking for water in the gas....replacing the gas cap ...spray/rebuild the carburetor ....that little nipple  ::)
LOL... this site is awesome, thanks for all the help.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:54 AM »
LOL... this site is awesome, thanks for all the help.

My buddy ordered 10+ from D rock ice....then used a couple for replacements in several buddy's augers ...then squired them away...then found the stash  two years later..lil pricey to order just one ...priceless when you need one ..order several .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.