Author Topic: Just curious! How many still use a Kastmaster as a attractor and a dropper?  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
 I tried this about 10 years ago and it seemed to work. I was just wondering how many of you still use this setup?
TEAM  PA.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not a clue as to what they are..

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 Does someone out there have a picture of what I'm talking about?
TEAM  PA.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
kastmaster is a type of spoon.  gold and silver are the most popular and prob most old timers never leave home without one.  have caught lots and lots of fish on them over the years from gills to eyes and everything in between.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
I don't have a picture, but, I too, used to use this on my go to ice rig.  I would replace the treble hook on a
1" (small) Swedish Pimple with a small barrel swivel. from the swivel I would tie 2# fluorocarbon line to form a short
4-7" leader.  I then would either use a small ice fly or just a #10 Aberdeen thin wire hook.  I used it with a spinning
reel when my targeted panfish were down deep (15' +). I more or less stopped using it because light biters were inhaling
 the fly or hook and it was hard salvaging the 2# leader.  I also started fishing shallower lakes and didn't need the pimple
to drop the bait.

fish on,

Rivereddy

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
We still use it here in Wyoming for jokes and bows, whitefish to
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kastmaster or Swedish Pimple tipped with a minnow head or perch eye are my go to lures.

:thumbsup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Kastmasters are sold by our sponsor - Acme.  Along with my favorite open water spoon the Little Cleo(although since they took the Hula girl off it doesn't have quite the same shimmy ... LOL)

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
I use them every time i fish very good spoons.

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
I've got a bunch with the hula girl on them maybe tomorrow they will bring me luck
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I thought that a small kastmaster was a staple item in every ice fishing tackle box

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
I use one with about a three inch mono dropper to a small jig. It may still be called a search lure if googled. Crappies love it at times.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
I only heard one other guy use perch eyes and he said they crushed. Is this true....
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
I only heard one other guy use perch eyes and he said they crushed. Is this true....
YES!  On kasties or jigging raps, perch eyes can't be beat
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
All caught yesterday on a Kasty tipped w/ perch eye! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
I tried this about 10 years ago and it seemed to work. I was just wondering how many of you still use this setup?

Still use the kastmasters, and yes for perch/panfish I will put a metal dropper chain on them. Simple spoons with droppers for panfish are hard to beat. Spoons in general are hard to beat for fish. Kastmasters work well, just look at the number and amount of copy kat names selling kastmaster spoons. :)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Most definitely use them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Does someone out there have a picture of what I'm talking about?

like this?

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
VMC's flash champ spoon are the same profile (literally) but with rapala colors. Work great all year long.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline 85gillgetter

• IceShanty Rookie
How Di's any fisherman not know what kastmasters are even at a young age every body has at lest three in there arsenal lol

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I also use sometimes castmaster 2.5-3" mono 3mm fisker.works good to call them in than give them something small.read it in in-fisherman ice fishing secrets   ,pretty good read

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Been using a Kastmaster about 2.5 ft above my deadstick worms for about 20 years, while trout fishing.  I remove the hook and put snap swivels above and below.  There was that day when dropping my bait in the lure got swarmed--made me consider putting the hook back on...
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  I made one up!!

TEAM  PA.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I didn't think anyone didn't use them from time to time.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline Gonefission

• Team IceShanty Regular
I fish kastmasters and/ or pimples in one variant or another on every tripi just recently started using the perch colored one and have had good luck .

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
A kastmaster will catch anything, from bluegills to stripers. I mainly use them for snapper blues when I want some live fluke bait but as everyone has said they work through the ice too.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I use kastmasters all the time. I take the treble off of mine and add a small swivel with a #10 hook.

Offline LongPoleKole

• IceShanty Rookie
I never leave the house without one rod rigged with a kastmaster spoon and size 18 red zebra midge.  Caught everything from perch to trout with it.
Rippin' lip since '88

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Nobody here mentioned how they "work" the Kastmaster. Jig them, dead stick,???

Please let us know how to use them.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Nobody here mentioned how they "work" the Kastmaster. Jig them, dead stick,???

Please let us know how to use them.

The point of the kastmaster with a dropper is for the kastmaster spoon to create flash & vibration when jigging to draw in the fish like perch. Then the dropper offers a smaller snack for them which they hit. It is pretty much made for Jigging.

However, I've also used a kastmaster with a dropper that had a bare hook and back hooked a minnow using it for a dead stick. The spoon acts like an anchor and keeps the minnow from going to far, yet the dropper allows for the minnow to move giving it action which tends to be a little more free vs using a lead head.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.