Author Topic: Hand Auger Question For U Guys- Saw A Guy Go Through 15" In Seconds!  (Read 2366 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Last winter was brutal cold here in Upstate NY For months - The ice got over 20" before it warmed. One day while ice fishing, some guy walked out and cut through that 20" with what looked like a 6" (Or even 4" Maybe??) hand auger. It looked effortless and he was going through the ice much faster than I could with my older gasoline powered Strikemaster. I wanted to go talk to him and have a look at the auger but never did. Any idea what he was using? I have a manual Strikemaster Lazer that cuts nicely but NOTHING like what this guy had! Thanks in advance!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
What color was his auger ? Probably a Nils ...did it have an off set handle ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks neighbor! I am in Conklin

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
I love this site! You guys gave me an answer in less than 10 minutes, great video! - Time to buy a Nils

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
Just bought a Nils hand auger 6 inch. I've seen how fast they are first hand. Can't  test mine out yet but I can't wait to (as long as the weather cooperates).

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
I just made an offer on one on Ebay - Brand new, (damaged carton) The auger is 100% undamaged. Looks like the guy sells a lot of them.100%feedback rating. Can't wait to try one

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought an 8" Nils last year and love it.  Drills 100% easier than other hand augers.  I think the difference is the offset handle.  Can't understand why other manufacturers are so slow to catch on.

Offline mmdrevo

• IceShanty Rookie
I bought the clam ice auger conversion for cordless drills on eBay. Great price at 59.99. I have a 8 inch mora that I have been drilling by hand. My dewalt brushless and a 20V max 4.0 ah battery should do the trick.

Offline mmdrevo

• IceShanty Rookie
Take a look at that blade, and the cost to replace it........80.00 bucks. That may have something to do with it. The unique handle design probably helps as well.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Must have been some dull blades on the Lazer. I use 0 down pressure on my 6" and he stated he had to really force it. Nills are nice, but very high $$ cost in maintenance if there is any problems with the blades. You can buy a new Lazer for the cost of a set of Nills blades..

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
6" Orange Nils + Milwaukee drill, I timed it last week on 8-9" of ice, 7 seconds. Weighs about 20#, and I use the drill more off the auger than on.  I may feel guilty and put the handle back on and cut one manually for old times sake. I do suggest buying a new blade cover. It also takes no downward pressure to cut, or very little. Less time messing with a gas auger = more time fishing.
Also, people crab about sharpening the blades, but really if you keep them off rocks they should last about 5 yrs of heavy use (guessing) and I was paying that to have the ethanol gas gunk cleaned out of my carbs every year on my Jiffy.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Well, I own it! Should be here by Monday. With proper blade care, the blades should last a good long while. I will be a freak about keeping the cover on them when it's not being used. I might cut 100 holes a season with it. Thanks for the replies guys!

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a 6" mora hand auger I've had since the late 80s'.  With a new set of blades on it I'm pretty sure I can beat that guys 15 seconds thru 20" off ice.  I am 6'-5" so I get pretty good leverage on it. My buddies get pissed when they see me fly thru the ice and then they struggle.  I do put a new set of blades on it every year, well worth the $25-$30 it cost.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tall guys - Get all the chicks and drill quicker holes....LOL

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Nils is a great auger but has the worst blade cover. Simple remedy though. Throw that rubber thing away. Get you some rare earth magnets that are pre-drilled with counter sunk holes. I only used 2 some guys use four. Blade cover never pops off unless I want it off.

Blades are always protected and safe.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
The Nils is a super nice auger, but I think the offset handle is what makes the huge difference. I have a fin bore, which is basically just a lazer with an offset handle and it's amazing. Strikemaster has lots of offset handle options that they sell in other countries. It would be nice if we could get some more options here. I think you will love the nils, it's always fun when you are out on the ice with a hand auger and can beat the power auger guys.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought a NorMark Fin-Bore III 8" from Fish307 last year. It has an offset handle and is almost half the price of the Nils. I never used a Nils but the Fin-Bore cut holes twice as fast as my old Mora (with new blades) with less effort. The offset handle makes all the difference.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
With sharp blades and a consistent drilling motion (not downward pressing, just smooth rhythm) you can cut holes quite quickly.
I tell beginners that the biggest mistake people make with hand augers is not keeping it vertical.
Once you start to drift or list you will start to bind and the process gets a lot harder.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
I bought a NorMark Fin-Bore III 8" from Fish307 last year. It has an offset handle and is almost half the price of the Nils. I never used a Nils but the Fin-Bore cut holes twice as fast as my old Mora (with new blades) with less effort. The offset handle makes all the difference.
X2

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Fin-Bore also has a full cover, similar to what you would find on a good power auger.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tall guys - Get all the chicks and drill quicker holes....LOL

I am 6'6" and I had the neighbor kids out fishing this past weekend.  One of them wanted to drill the hole with my 6" Nils, so I let them.  After a few minutes of effort, they gave up and I finished the job.  The 10-year old turned to me and sighed, "You make it look so easy."   ;D   
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline riverfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
More than likely a 4 1/2" Nils master hand auger if it was blue with a red cutting head. No need for power anything with them! One other thing really nice about the Nils is that the auger shaft itself is much longer (taller) so when the ice is thick your not practically on your knees or stooped way over when drilling.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am 6'6" and I had the neighbor kids out fishing this past weekend.  One of them wanted to drill the hole with my 6" Nils, so I let them.  After a few minutes of effort, they gave up and I finished the job.  The 10-year old turned to me and sighed, "You make it look so easy."   ;D

You're very trusting.  After a fellow ice fisherman banged my auger on the ice, I made a conscious decision not to lend it out to anyone I don't know or have not personally seen use an auger before.  If you need help with drilling a hole, I'll drill a few for you.

Offline backwoodsboy-

• IceShanty Rookie
I got a finbore 4.5 and 6 they cut extremely fast cant beat the price either

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
My wife bought me a manual auger (8 inch) many many years ago.  It was blue.  I sharpen the blades myself.  I did buy a second set of blades but they have not been used very much....the original blades are doing fine.  Anyway....15 inches of ice....I can cut through that real slick.  The trick is to have very sharp blades.  I can shave with my blades.  Yes....I made all the mistakes over the years and a guy did bang my blades on the ice.  I no longer let anyone use my auger.

I just bought a gas powered auger today.  A Rapala 8 inch Nitro.  I bought a fishing shack this year and I need to re-open the holes when they freeze up.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can cut through 20 inches in 15 seconds no problem. Was drilling holes faster than any of them loud gas augers. Now can drill through 20 in about 6 seconds if that with milwaukee fuel setup. I have a 6 in mora.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
I love my NILS - I can cut two holes a minute through good hard clear ice. Almost one handed....Ice thickness has been taken out of the game for the first time for me! Bring it, this auger is a freak of nature!

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
I've had a late 70's Mora with the cup blade,which was kinda tall(5')and made it hard to turn,cause I'm not that tall(5'6).
It was hard to put pressure when the handle is straight out in front of you ::)
It took two guys and a horse to get that thing to cut thru a foot of ice even when it was new.
Leverage and sharp blades make a difference.
I bought a 7" Mora which is shorter about 5 yrs ago and a world of difference.
I didn't like hauling my gear out,cutting holes and being all sweaty,so I  bought an adapter and mounted it to my 28v Milwaukee. @)
Lifes good now
Tight Lines!
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just bought a 6 in nils....selling my power auger  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.