Author Topic: Best Flipover to fit in the trunk of a car  (Read 5647 times)

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
Best Flipover to fit in the trunk of a car
« on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:54 PM »
Hey guys,

I've had a hub shelter for the past few years and I'm sick of the set up and hassle with it...I always end up going by myself most of the time anyway, and it Is time to get just a 1 man flip over for convenience. The only problem is that with my commute and job, owning a pick up truck just isn't ideal right now, so it needs to work with a car.

My car trunk is 43" long x 36" wide x 18" tall (chevy Malibu). The seats fold flat in the back, so the length isn't of huge concern, it is more the width and height.

I've been looking at the Clam Legend XL thermal, as it is 45x35x15. The other clam models appear to be to tall.

Does anyone fish out of a small car and own a flip over? And if so, any personal recommendations on what works best?

Thanks,

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best Flipover to fit in the trunk of a car
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:10 PM »
When you open the trunk of your car does the back window also go up? I'm just not a car guy and not familiar with Chevy Malibus.

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:18 PM »
No it doesn't, just the trunk. In reality, I probably can't have a sled higher than 15" because I would need to lift it up diagonally.

I think the Clam Nanook could be an option, but I would have to take out the seats and mod it to bench seating...plus like I said, I'm really only interested in a 1 man because I'm usually going just by myself.

Offline BassinBiologist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:31 PM »
I used to have a CLAM fish trap and it would not fit fully into my Toyota Camry. I had to leave trunk partially open and strap the trunk down. I did not mind, it was the best I had at the time. The issue is the trunk was not deep enough or high enough to slide the Trap all the way in. Still, did this for a few seasons. Never an issue. Would not have fished without it many days.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:32 PM »
With just the trunk opening it up it makes it virtually impossible to fit into a car. When I owned a Plymouth Sundance I was able to fit a 2 man shanty in the back of my car because the trunk plus the back window would all lift up. Now I own a Dodge Neon and a 1 man flip over. I fit as much of the flip over as I can into my trunk and the rest just hangs out. I then either use a bungee cord or a ratchet strap. I hook it onto the bottom of my trunk and wrap it around the bottom of the sled then hook it onto the other side of the bottom of the trunk. This way the trunk isn't bouncing up and down. I only do this when I'm traveling shorter distances (30 miles or less) and not on the highway.

Offline Bonawitz07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Not sure what year your malibu is but I have a 2009. Last year I tried to fit a quickflip 2 in the trunk, didn't fit. Specs on that say the height is 19.5 inches when folded. The quickflip 1 is 17 inches tall when folded but given the lip on the back and having to lift it out diagonally I wonder if that would be too tight. The frabill sentinel is only 15 inches when folded, that may work. I agree on the clams being too tall for this trunk.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:48 PM »
For a car, a hatch back makes life easy.  ;)

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Well I guess my assumptions were correct. I was thinking that everything I had looked at would be tough. Maybe it is best to just keep the hub that I have for a few years until things change.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I would measure the available space u have in the trunk, then compare that to the sizes of portables.
Or maybe think of getting a tent style like a frabill outpost or similar.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline SuperFLY91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Have you considered adding a receiver hitch to your car? Then you could use one of those small platforms with rails around it that plugs into the hitch. That would allow you to carry along just about any flip-over, and have your trunk free for all your gear. I have a jeep with a hard top, and use one for hauling all sorts of stuff. Adding a hitch can be a little pricey on some cars, but it sure would make fishing easier. Just a thought.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:15 PM »
Have you considered adding a receiver hitch to your car? Then you could use one of those small platforms with rails around it that plugs into the hitch. That would allow you to carry along just about any flip-over, and have your trunk free for all your gear. I have a jeep with a hard top, and use one for hauling all sorts of stuff. Adding a hitch can be a little pricey on some cars, but it sure would make fishing easier. Just a thought.

This is exactly what I was thinking, one of these guys:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_auto-suv-truck-accessories+cargo-haulers-ladder-racks+receiver-hitch-cargo-carriers

If you can get a bolt-on 2" receiver hitch installed that would make a flipover pretty easy to move around.  Something like this would be plenty:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612507_200612507
-Matt

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:04 PM »
I don't have a car but i did buy a new Clam XL thermal last year. They are the most compact flip over you can get. If you want exact measurements let me know. I love that shanty.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:11 PM »
What about a roof carrier?
:icefish:

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:14 PM »
For a car, a hatch back makes life easy.  ;)

I am able to fit my frabill thermal dlx two man flip over in my Honda Civic Hatchback. It's a big flipover and a tight fit but I make it work. I have to slide my seats pretty far forward.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Just put it on the roof. Use pool noodles to keep the paint fresh. Problem solved. What do I win?  ;D

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:37 PM »
Just put it on the roof. Use pool noodles to keep the paint fresh. Problem solved. What do I win?  ;D
:thumbsup:
:icefish:

Offline Big fish tuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love the winter
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Have you thought about a suitcase
catch some leave some

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:54 PM »
I have a truck with a cover on it and could not get my Clam X2 to fit under the cover so I used a hitch extender and it works slick.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:59 PM »
I'd trade that Malibu off for a Silverado  :thumbsup:, problem solved

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:03 PM »
check the shappell 1.0 dx

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Not a flipover but a Shappell Bayrunner may be something that works for you. My buddy has one and It's pretty compact, quick to set up and their are tons of mods you can do to it. Not sure what the measurements on them to know if it would fit in your trunk but it seemed like it would be real close. If I fished alone much I would definitely get one. Fortunately my 8 year old loves to go so I picked us up an Evo 2 this year. Good luck with your search.

Here's a link to some mods a guy on here did.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=288977.20

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:01 PM »
Buy an ice suit and don't use a shack.  I have an SUV and am selling that for a van for my wife.  I'll take over her impala and will only use my ice suit.  I do have a truck for when I need a shack though (only when kids or people are going that don't want to be outside).  I did have a small one man clam that I could slide the seat forward and get it to fit in the trunk of a ford taurus.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:49 AM »
Well I guess my assumptions were correct. I was thinking that everything I had looked at would be tough. Maybe it is best to just keep the hub that I have for a few years until things change.

Or you could just stop ice fishing for a few years.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:08 AM »
Or you could just stop ice fishing for a few years.

Or, since we have already broached the worst case scenario, you could go to town with sawzall, throw in a couple hinges, rewire a few things, and voila - hatchback!  @)
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2016, 10:18 AM »
put it into the back seat, on it's side. toss a tarp over the area first.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2016, 02:47 PM »
Unless it's a hatchback it won't fit. There's only really a few options.
1) Have part of it hang out the back and strap it down.
2) Cargo hauler
3) Get a tow hitch and small trailer.
4) Roof rack. This would be too much of a pain to load and unload.

To the OP. If you are only traveling short distances then having it hang out the back of the trunk isn't too bad.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Used to have a 1990 Buick LeSaber. Best damn snow driving car I have ever owned. It also had the luggage rack on the trunk. Two ratchet straps was all that I needed. That car and my trap pro drove all over the Midwest.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline SuperFLY91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:09 PM »
This is exactly what I was thinking, one of these guys:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_auto-suv-truck-accessories+cargo-haulers-ladder-racks+receiver-hitch-cargo-carriers

If you can get a bolt-on 2" receiver hitch installed that would make a flipover pretty easy to move around.  Something like this would be plenty:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612507_200612507
That's what I use for my jeep...it works great.  I've hauled my portables on it,  kayaks in the summer, mountain bikes, all sorts of stuff. Works great and leaves lots of room in the vehicle. I like it better than the roof option if you are by yourself. It's lower to the ground and easy to load on your own.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:11 PM »
You should probably be able to get the Eskimo quickflip 1 in your backseat.  A Shappell Rover 1 would probably also work.  The older Frabill 1 mans, like the Solo Ranger, will also fit.

Offline mudmaster315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Just trade in the car for a truck  then you can buy whatever shanty you want
Here fishy fishy fishy, Im gonna get ya!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.