Author Topic: So called "Ice Line" ?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: So called "Ice Line" ?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:02 AM »
O ise mainly two brands... northland bionoc 2lb and cortland ice line in 3lb both made fornice and both a great product and only 3 bucks for 125yds
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:17 AM »
When it is really cold I am usually fishing in a shack or flip over with heat, so the line icing up is not really a issue.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:25 AM »
By god I guess you are right, it appears it is .001" thinner per Lb test . It is also a mono filament line. I will guess using it in open water casting that it is not quite as abrasion resistant. One of the only lines I have actually seen a physical difference other than color. Unless they are blowing smoke, how many take a micrometer and measure the real diameter of there line? One thousandth of a inch difference. You would think if they can make a thinner Lb. test line why market it as only a ice line?

Sufix ice magic is not mono. It is a co-poly that was developed for ice fishing.

Like trilene cold water, XL, and Micro Ice, they are different formulations that are developed to deal with cold weather.

I have used XL, cold weather (blue), and micro ice side by side. If you can sit there and tell me there is no difference... then well, you are not the sharpest tack in the box. Sorry, but its quite obvious when you are fishing them that there is a huge difference.

The sufix ice braid is the same as the regular braid.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:06 PM »
So then what is the difference that you see between them? 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:59 PM »

Monofilament Ice line is usually alot softer with less memory but much more stretch.   For me that means less abrasion resistance which results in a weaker line. No thanks.

Offline Capt.morgan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2014, 02:32 PM »
If have never used "ice line" and have fished along guys that have. I've seen no performance difference at all !

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:52 AM »

When I first started ice fishing probably 15 years ago, all we used was the "old school" equipment. Schooley style rods, peg bobbers, 4lb trilene XL, and a small teardrop with a waxworm. We'd change the line each year but it would be a mess as soon as it got cold. The line would get stiff, it would develop memory and make the jigs spin on the way down, the line wouldn't stretch out with a small jig so I know we missed a lot of bites.

Then, probably 7 or 8 years ago I started stepping into the new age. I bought a spinning rod and spooled it up with trilene cold weather (blue) 3lb. It was better, but still got pretty stiff in the cold. Was a lot better than the xl though.

Then about 4 years ago I started using trilene micro ice 3lb. That line was A LOT better. Nice and subtle in the cold, didn't develop a memory all through ice season, hung taught with a tiny jig, and was just overall a great line.

Last year was the first year I tried sufix ice magic. I thought there was no way to get a better line than the micro  ice, but I was wrong. This line is amazing. I now use 3lb on most of my rods, but 2lb on my bluegill rod. This line is even more subtle than the micro ice, its super smooth.. develops no curls or kinks at all (not even over the summer!), and its a co-poly so it does not absorb water as quickly as the others. It really is an amazing line. I use the micro ice right into spring for tossing and vertical jigging micro jigs for big crappie.

I just bought some bionic ice line to try, but I doubt it will be as good as the sufix.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Iceman05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:58 AM »
I like to fish. Not much for eating them. When I go ice fishing I take my favorite jigging rod (no line at all) and my box of beer an have a blast.

Just kidding.

I use braided line ( on sale) and it works fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.