Author Topic: Sharpening ice auger blades. Questions  (Read 17073 times)

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sharpening ice auger blades. Questions
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:58 PM »
I use a file and or a sharpening stone with WD40.  I use the file on the bevel being careful to follow the angle and the fine side of the stone on the flat side of the blade.   Been working ok for me.  My buddy once drilled through the ice and hit a rock.  What are chances?
Now I keep  a file in the sled for just such occasions.

Offline floatafly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:45 PM »
I've used the flat Mora blades Swedish made and the directions that came with the blades said not to sharpen the flat side. You have to sharpen the angel, I've used a file and stones,the file is quicker. I found that if I didn't take the nicks out they still didn't cut well.Stone the flat lightly to remove any burres. Buy a new set in case the sharpened ones don't cut.If you have a different way that works keep doing it. Good luck. :)
while we are on the subject of blades, I bought a pair at the end of last season and only used it twice this year and the problem that I'm having is that the blades are sliding and not biting into the ice.  any suggestions on how to fix this problem.  shims???   on both blades or one side??? thanks in advance

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:08 AM »
while we are on the subject of blades, I bought a pair at the end of last season and only used it twice this year and the problem that I'm having is that the blades are sliding and not biting into the ice.  any suggestions on how to fix this problem.  shims???   on both blades or one side??? thanks in advance
Check to see if the blades say made in China if they do you can call strikemaster and they will send you out a new pair.
Check this thread http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=131933.0
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:17 AM »
I use a Lansky sharpening stone jig and buff them on a grinder to take the rolled edge off.
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

Offline 250 Keith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:23 PM »
On 1/25/10 I asked if anyone tried a Lansky sharpening jig to sharpen auger blades.  I finally got around to trying it on my Mora blades.  It cut the steel easily, but I had a hard time positioning the blades to get the cutting angle steep enough.  And I did have to work the rolled edge off the back side as Skipper4080 mentioned.  

Thanks, Skipper 4080

2/14/10
I was able to sharpen the blades so they cut hair with the Lansky jig, but now the auger moves sideways when I start a hole.  I must have altered the blade angle.   

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:19 PM »
25 degree angle and buff em', mine cut straight in like butter
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

surflizard

« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:31 AM »
I saw a guy use a 5" grinder on his auger bit one time and he got the prettiest dark blue color I had ever seen  ;D  What was really COOL, was what the auger did when he tried to cut a hole, I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN ICE AUGER SMOKE FROM THE BIT END !!  :o  :roflmao:  I use a diamond hone on my
Jiffy Legend Lightning, Just a couple of swipes before I load it on the wheeler and I'm good to go. I've had the original bit that came with the auger 8 years ago and it get my holes done in a hurry ;D

Offline walleye wacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAGS UP!!!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Wiener,
I can't seem to find the jig you are mentioning. Do you have a link to the page? Thanks.

I have found this type and that type but not a jig in the sense I am meaning.

I suppose I could try my knife sharpening kit similar to (cheaper than) this one (but with only 3 stones) on my old blades to see if I can master it enough to make them cut decently.

Also I am not about to spend what they want for this one considering I don't have what it mounts to to use it. Yikes! even MO-MONEY!!  :o

i use my knife sharpening kit!! works great. the only thing is that you MUST noy use ether slot 25 or 20 degree. set the handle ontop od the bracket that it usually goes into and that is the perfect angle.

"We have to go NOW!!!"  ......."HOLD ON JUST ONE MORE!!!!

Offline Northern Manitoban

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:44 PM »
pick up the speedy sharp tool, tried it on my auger blade and she cuts nice now, i just get a black marker to mark the blade so you know you are fileing it on the right angle
I only fish on days that end with a Y

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:07 PM »
Glad I came across this thread, thanks for all the great posts.  I have a Lazer with Chinese blades on it and they are not cutting very well at all.  I called Strikemaster today, told them I have a pair of the Chinese blades and they are sending out a pair of the Swedish blades at no cost to me.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:47 AM »
:o Go to fish 307 they have a blade exchange thats cheap and easy. Under 8 inch is 10.00 bucks and 8 inch or bigger is 12.00 . If you have blades from china throw them out cause they are junk, get the ones from sweden. :o

Funny you should mention that.  I wore out the new blades on my Strikemaster Lazer hand auger this past week after only 25 or so holes.  They wont even cut into the ice they are that dull.  I was removing them today to mail in to be sharpened, and i noticed they were the "made in China" varaiety whereas my replacements are "made in Sweden"  So are you suggesting that the pair it came with are junk?  I had read several posts previously suggesting the same thing.  Maybe i should just save the $ (shipping and sharpening costs) and buy another back up pair of the Swedish ones.  Chris

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:53 AM »
now that ive read all of the replies, i am going to call them and ask for a replacement set.  Man was i pissed out on the lake the other day on my day off, when after 3 holes it just wouldnt cut anymore....Im gald i came across this thread as well. Cheers,Chris

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:14 PM »
DEFINITELY insist on the Mora blades - I've heard way too many horror stories about the Chinese knock-offs...  I've had my 8" Mora Strikemaster auger for about 20 years now and have replaced the blades only three times.  I probably cut 100 holes or so a year and can cut through 12" of ice in about 15 seconds with those blades.  Although my math is a bit questionable, I'd reasonably guess that I get about 300 holes or so per set of blades (adjusting for ice thickness and frequency of trips).

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:56 PM »
How often do you change the blades. I guess if its drilling OK the blades are OK???

Offline bottleslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:57 PM »
I boogered up my Lazer this past week  >:(  I have had it for about 5 years, never had to do anything with the blades and even this year I could still punch a 6" hole with the hand auger faster than my buddy could start his power auger and punch a 8" hole.  I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to sharpen it with the filet knife sharpener, went out this past weekend and it took me five minutes of leaning on the auger and rotating it around to get through 10" of ice.  I'm too cheap or stubborn to pay $30 for new blades or exchange them (afraid to end up with chinese ones) Any suggestions on how I can either sharpen them or does anyone know of anyone in Cheyenne that sharpens them?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.