Author Topic: Preferred baits  (Read 1269 times)

Offline kenbo

• IceShanty Rookie
Preferred baits
« on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:29 PM »
As a total newbie, I'm just wondering what type of baits everone uses, what they are catching with those baits and if there are any baits or lures that they have found to be not so good.  I'm sure that this topic has been covered a million times before I ever got here, but it never hurts to compare ideas on tehcniques.
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Must be here someplace??
Re: Preferred baits
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Been having good luck with using spikes on Fiskas jigs.

Offline litho_hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:50 PM »
It varies, but I myself like Diamond jigs and Frostee spoons. I also like to present minnows on a deadstick, something twisted about watching the rod tip quiver before the strike. For the most part if you can find them, the rest usually comes easy.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:57 PM »
depends on the species.

For walleye, perch, and crappie I like a buckshot spoon tipped with a minnow. The minnow is hooked right through the head and the lower half pinched off.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:21 PM »
I am still targeting gills and crappie. Here in late February I've been doing a rapid rotation of wax worms, mousies, white spikes, and red spikes. You need to dig down deep in your bag of tricks right now but you can still bring in a lot of fish.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:49 PM »
For Gills and Crappies: I like really small jigs tipped with spikes.
For Perch:  My go to lure is a small swedish pimple tipped with a minnow head or spikes.
For Walleye: Swedish Pimple tipped with a minnow or whole minnow, Chubby Darter alone and sometimes tipped with a minnow head
For Pike:  BIG minnows or Suckers on tip ups.

If the above is not working out.  I pull out the rest of my arsenal. ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2010, 12:51 AM »
For skittish crappies, and gills, I have been having good luck with Tungsten Wolfram Jigs in 3 and 4mm. I like their heavy weight for a small jig. It is easy getting them down to the fish quick without having to use a split shot. Too many times I have had fish chase my split shot instead of the bait.  I just wish I could find more brands and styles in Tungsten.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Minnows... ;) live or dead.  peices or whole.  fatheads or crappies.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Yesterday on Lake Simcoe in 47 fow a small northland forage minnow tipped with maggots was deadly. As quick as you could get your bait down it was hit.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Yesterday on Lake Simcoe in 47 fow a small northland forage minnow tipped with maggots was deadly. As quick as you could get your bait down it was hit.

Hey Woodsman I have a question for you.

Here in RI we have few natural basin lakes - so very few places have any depth to them. If I do however fish a lake that is deep and am fishing say 47 fow like you mentioned and the action is as hot as you mentioned.... what do you do if your getting hit before the lure hits the bottom?

I've heard that when you are fishing in deep water and your bait is on the way down and it stops (but obviously isn't on the bottom) you should start reeling (rather than gently lifting to set the hook first and then starting to reel).

Any merit to that or do you find it too hard to feel those kinds of bites on such light jigs?  (I am refrencing a cut bait technique.)

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2010, 03:28 PM »
4mm Parot Fiska with 2 spikes and a waxie has been killer this year for me, as always when the perch are in heavy I switch over to a frostee spoon and a buckeye.
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Fatheads and waxies are a big part of our arsonel.  We also use Shiners on occasion.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline 1CE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:11 PM »
mousies, fatheads & spikes....oh & don't forget perch eyes if you are targeting perch.

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:15 AM »
wax worms on small jigs frozen smelt or minnies on tip ups

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Hey Woodsman I have a question for you.

Here in RI we have few natural basin lakes - so very few places have any depth to them. If I do however fish a lake that is deep and am fishing say 47 fow like you mentioned and the action is as hot as you mentioned.... what do you do if your getting hit before the lure hits the bottom?

I've heard that when you are fishing in deep water and your bait is on the way down and it stops (but obviously isn't on the bottom) you should start reeling (rather than gently lifting to set the hook first and then starting to reel).

Any merit to that or do you find it too hard to feel those kinds of bites on such light jigs?  (I am refrencing a cut bait technique.)
EAD: I was using a fish finder & the fish where concentrated within 3 feet of bottom so detecting hits on the way down was not a concern but getting the jig down as quick as possible was. If the fish where more spread out in the water column the way I was letting the jig to drop I'm sure I would have missed hits. To detect the hits on the way down I would lower the jig slower watching the line for any indication of a hit.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:37 AM »
I use creek chubs for everythig lately lol prbly cuz i can catch them by the dozens, and they are tough as nails, ive had the same ones now in a cooler with no aerator and changed the water only once and i caught them 3 weeks ago. I like the 1-3 inch guys for perch and smelt, and the bigger guys for pickerel and burbot.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline PerchPirate97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2010, 01:28 PM »
waxworms have been real hot this year. crappies wont touch minnows, but hammer the waxies!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:40 PM »
for crappie and perch i lke minnows fatheads or rosies and forage fry jigs tipped with grubs or moussies,for pike and lakers i like ciscos,smelt and big suckers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.