Author Topic: Disposing of 1lb propane bottles  (Read 16138 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Disposing of 1lb propane bottles
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Used the search in the top left and came up with nothing.

What do you guys do with your 1lbers when they are empty? Please don't say refill, I will never refill them no matter what anyone says.

Are they safe to throw in the trash?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Disposing of 1lb propane bottles
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:02 PM »
I save them then use them for target practice.  After that I put them in the trash can.  I also collect all the cans I find on the ice that some idiots leave out there.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:12 PM »
I recycle them at our Town Transfer Station & Landfill.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline hammerhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Refill them. Not that hard and saves lots of $

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Some of the new ones come with a relief cap that you can put on and it lets all the compressed air out and then you can safety throw them in the trash.

Offline letsgobowhunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:16 PM »

What do you guys do with your 1lbers when they are empty? Please don't say refill, I will never refill them no matter what anyone says.

What is your fear of refilling them? If it was unsafe they wouldn't sell the fittings to do so. I am planning to get a adapter to refill my coleman bottles. They fit my lantern base the best.
Ice fishing with my two boys reminds me of being a kid, when you got no place to go in the winter.... go play on the ice.

Offline IcePaul33

• IceShanty Rookie
  • As the sun rises.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I have refilled a few and recycled the rest. Brother gave me a refillable 10# Alum. tank that solved most of my problems.

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:47 PM »
What is your fear of refilling them? If it was unsafe they wouldn't sell the fittings to do so. I am planning to get a adapter to refill my coleman bottles. They fit my lantern base the best.
http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/217890-fatal-propane-fire-case-proceeds-to-trial

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:53 PM »
I went through 3 of them this weekend, so Im either going to find a larger tank, or make another metal scarecrow for my garden........

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:55 PM »
The guy was doing it inside his camper.  Duh.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:57 PM »
I like to toss mine in the bonfire. ;)

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:01 PM »
The guy was doing it inside his camper.  Duh.
Did you also read According to the K-M Products web site, the MacCoupler is the company's chief product, which it has been making for more than 20 years. It is used to fill 1 pound refillable propane cylinders with any 20 to 40 pound propane tank.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:02 PM »
Some of the new ones come with a relief cap that you can put on and it lets all the compressed air out and then you can safety throw them in the trash.

Guys these containers had propane in them not air you can't cut them or poke holes in them without fear of explosion. I throw them in the trash as they get used up

The solution to pollution is dilution its all about PPM (parts per million)

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Guys these containers had propane in them not air you can't cut them or poke holes in them without fear of explosion. I throw them in the trash as they get used up

The solution to pollution is dilution its all about PPM (parts per million)

Venting them with the proper tool is simple and safe and if you have a device that uses 1pounders, then you have a device to vent them out.  Simply install the heater, lantern cooker and turn the valve on and turn it upside down....vented.  OR simpley take out the shrader air valve.  The same tool you use for removing the air valve in a tire will work on these bottles.  Remove the valve, set them outside upside down and they are safe.  After a week, month or year when you are ready to refill, you are all set.  Replace the valves and refill.

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/217890-fatal-propane-fire-case-proceeds-to-trial

Just another example of a lawsuit filed for the end user being stupid.  I smoke and have lung cancer, time to sue the tobacco company, I'm an alcoholic so I'll sue the beer companies, I enjoy driving recklessly and running people off the road and killing them so go ahead and sue the big three.

Personal accountability is non existent in the world....

OK, back to the original question...reuse, recycle and reclaim.  If you aren't comfortable reusing, then take them to a scrap yard to be recycled or give them to someone who does refill them.  If you were next door, I'd take them off your hands.  Been refilling for years.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:07 PM »
It is used to fill 1 pound refillable propane cylinders with any 20 to 40 pound propane tank.

Is there such a thing?

Offline letsgobowhunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Did you also read According to the K-M Products web site, the MacCoupler is the company's chief product, which it has been making for more than 20 years. It is used to fill 1 pound refillable propane cylinders with any 20 to 40 pound propane tank.

I heard the refillable 1 pound cylindars have a valve that you can crack open so when you refill them you know when it is full as it will start coming out the valve. The guy said the old ones had them. The only fear I could see is the tank would be over pressurized and explode. Or someone could attempt to remove improperly and get burned by the propane. Lawsuits are generated by lawers, they would try to make a case even if the guy was smoking when he refilled it. Let's take a pole about how many people refill and then of how many accidents they have had when doing so.
Ice fishing with my two boys reminds me of being a kid, when you got no place to go in the winter.... go play on the ice.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Burn barrel. Then landfill.  They will rust to almost nothing in a few years and add iron to the soil.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:26 PM »
Used the search in the top left and came up with nothing.

Are they safe to throw in the trash?
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/recycle/cylinder_dis.asp

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
Bottles
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:26 PM »
Ive been a garbage man for 8 years and people throw them away all the time. Its not on the do not take list we have at work. You knew it wouldnt be long before the little green bomb talk came out! Im also a firefighter and i can tell you from the training i have had if you are not certified to fill them DO NOT DO IT! You may fill a 1000 of them without a problem but it only takes one and Boom another post about a fallen brother. DONT DO IT!!!!!

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Make excellent targets, better than bowling pins......after you punch a bunch of holes in them take them to a junk yard and get paid for them......they will take them with a bunch of bullet holes at least the yard I took them to did..

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:27 PM »
I heard the refillable 1 pound cylindars have a valve that you can crack open so when you refill them you know when it is full as it will start coming out the valve. The guy said the old ones had them. The only fear I could see is the tank would be over pressurized and explode. Or someone could attempt to remove improperly and get burned by the propane. Lawsuits are generated by lawers, they would try to make a case even if the guy was smoking when he refilled it. Let's take a pole about how many people refill and then of how many accidents they have had when doing so.

The proper way to refill is to freeze the green tank, causing a negative pressure (vacuum) inside.  The filling container, 20, 40 has the filling coupler installed and is sitting upside down.  You then screw in the green one pounder onto the coupler.  There is still a vacuum in the green tank.  When you open the main valve on the bigger tank the vaccum will draw the LP into the smaller tank. You are simply transferring liquid...ie LP, liquid petroleum.

There is no "over pressurizing".  
Myth: larger propane cylinders generate more pressure than small tanks. This is false, they all generate the same pressure, which is dependent on temperature. Lower ambient temperatures produce lower internal cylinder pressures. Higher temperatures produce higher pressures. That’s why one of the guidelines for refilling disposable propane cylinders is not to do it in direct sunlight or on hot days; you could be dealing with very high pressures indeed under those circumstances.

The proper way to refill is to freeze the green tank, causing a negative pressure (vacuum) inside.  The filling container, 20, 40 has the filling coupler installed and is sitting upside down.  You then screw in the green one pounder onto the coupler.  There is still a vacuum in the green tank.  When you open the main valve on the bigger tank the vaccum will draw the LP into the smaller tank. You are simply transferring liquid...ie LP, liquid petroleum.

There is no "over pressurizing". 
Myth: larger propane cylinders generate more pressure than small tanks. This is false, they all generate the same pressure, which is dependent on temperature. Lower ambient temperatures produce lower internal cylinder pressures. Higher temperatures produce higher pressures. That’s why one of the guidelines for refilling disposable propane cylinders is not to do it in direct sunlight or on hot days; you could be dealing with very high pressures indeed under those circumstances.

Ive been a garbage man for 8 years and people throw them away all the time. Its not on the do not take list we have at work. You knew it wouldnt be long before the little green bomb talk came out! Im also a firefighter and i can tell you from the training i have had if you are not certified to fill them DO NOT DO IT! You may fill a 1000 of them without a problem but it only takes one and Boom another post about a fallen brother. DONT DO IT!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~ DOT/OSHA Certified HAZWOPER Tech AND Submarine EOD Handler~~~~~~
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
Dispose
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:45 PM »
If you are certified then its ok, its people who assume just because they can buy the equipment that nothing bad can happen!

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Is there such a thing?
Yes there is such a thing as a refillable cylinder.
note the markings stamped in the top tese are required for refilling one is the dot classification the other is the serial #and date.

Offline letsgobowhunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:15 PM »
are these still available?

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Refill them. Not that hard and saves lots of $
refill them

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:31 PM »
The over presurizing comes from filling the tanks too full there has to be room for the liquid propane to expand inside the tank. thats why there is a tw(tare weight) and a wc (weight capacity) on the refillable tanks and they use a scale to mesure the weight of the propane being transfered.

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I would just get rid of the 1# it gets old changing bottles constantly the hoses for bigger tanks are $10 unless you are built like michael jackson and extra 15# shouldnt matter
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:28 PM »
I would just get rid of the 1# it gets old changing bottles constantly the hoses for bigger tanks are $10 unless you are built like michael jackson and extra 15# shouldnt matter

Cant run the lantern with a hose, uses the 1lb as a base.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:37 PM »
Cant run the lantern with a hose, uses the 1lb as a base.

Sure you can, you just need one of these and skip the hose

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.