The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northern wisconsin reports  (Read 81846 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: northern wisconsin reports
« Reply #360 on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Matt do they drawn down on the flowage during winter?

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #361 on: Jan 07, 2020, 02:14 PM »
If they do, its not much. Unlike places like Chippewa Flowage where they draw down what seems like 8 feet or more to tackle the invasives.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #362 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:30 AM »
Heading back up to Land O Lakes next wed night. Anybody been out up north?? Found out a buddy of mine built a huge house on the eat shore of Gogebic, so we're planning on a day or two out there. Man, it's been a quiet year.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #363 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:24 AM »
I'll be driving thru Saturday morning early headed for Houghton. Three days on Portage for pike. Guy there says they got 3 feet of snow on a foot of ice. Gonna be a challenge for a guy with a 31 inch inseam...  ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #364 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:07 PM »
Hayward area for me this weekend. Chasing some trout for the first time through the ice Sat morning and then trying out a few new lakes for crappie (hopefully). Never really know what you're going to find on those small pothole lakes.
Da Pack!

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #365 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Fished a small lake in Sawyer County yesterday. Took the UTV, which was touch and go and dragged the underside part of the way. So the snow was up to 14" on top of the ice, more in drifts. Ice was 10", 2" of slush, then 7" of hard ice. The crappies wanted minnows and ignored my jig/waxie. Wet snow the entire time making everything a soggy mess, but caught half a dozen crappies. I didn't find a "spot" but was in an area where fish would come through now and then. No trucks going out in my area yet, and I know ONE guy who won't be the first!  :o

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #366 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Just got back from Land O Lakes. While the conditions are bad, they aren't like last year. There was at least 5" of snow, then 3-4" of water, then 2 layers of slush on top of 12" of ice. Getting around with the ATV was fairly simple. Just move slow, stay on top of the mess and let physics work in your favor. I fished for walleyes and did fairly well on finding fish, but only a few keepers in 7-15 fow. Nothing on suckers, everything was on small shiners. Overcast and very calm weather when I was up. There is a ton of snow, so much so, Land O Lakes was using an excavator to move it around.

Stopped at Central Waters Brewing in Amherst, awesome place. Drove by Gooch's A1 and it's coming along well. He wants it open before June I was told.

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #367 on: Feb 04, 2020, 02:04 PM »
Great pics, particularly the moon-eyed toothy walleye. Makes me wish I'd been up there with you, stealing your machine--I mean fishing with you!

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #368 on: Feb 04, 2020, 02:20 PM »
We fished Pokegama (Chetek chain) last weekend. There was no getting around on a wheeled ATV unless you stayed on the packed down trails. Unbroken snow was like peanut butter with slush underneath.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #369 on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:56 AM »
yes, its tough going on the lakes right now.

Sleds seem to be the go to right now unless your like 52 and have a sweet tracked wheeler.

Weather has been nice, pretty cold now, maybe 8 below zero this morning. Should help to stiffen things up.

Almost need an extension for my mora already. pretty much down to the drill head with all the snow and crap on top.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #370 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:00 AM »
I noticed the same thing with my KDrill, I damn near needed an extension with only 12" of actual ice.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #371 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:34 AM »
Ice conditions have stabilized a bit since last weekend. I was on Plum Lake and really didn't get a wet foot except for backwash from drilling. Ruts were horrible and dangerously frozen but slush factor was greatly reduced. Depending where you were on the lake there were still some pockets of slush but could be easily avoided. Got another couple/three inches of light, fluffy yesterday but more sun and cold weather in the forecast so could get even better rolling into the end of the month.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #372 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:11 AM »
Great news about travel. I'm heading back up the first full weekend in March for Perch. Hopefully moving around the Cisco Chain won't be a nail biter.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #373 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:32 PM »
End of Game Fish on WI lakes, I'm heading up next week to fish MI waters for walleyes. Where is everybody going this weekend to finish her off??

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #374 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:47 PM »
I'm heading up to Three Lakes tomorrow. We'll see what I fish for. Got a sleeper local lake for 'eyes that's been good to lotsa folks. I just need to focus instead of shotgun. Same body also had good pannies and a terrific population of modest pike. Travel should be great.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #375 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Post up ice conditions when you get back.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #376 on: Feb 27, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Post up ice conditions when you get back.

:thumbsup:

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #377 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:19 AM »
Heading up to Hayward Sunday, chasing some PB crappies on a new lake. Supposed to hold some monsters. Was in that area last weekend and lake travel was great. Hoping these average temps stick around, the best ice fishing is just about here!
Da Pack!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #378 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:15 PM »
Just got back from Three Lakes. Didn't get to fish as much as I wanted but found maybe a third of the previous snow depth in most places and lot of spots melted right back down to the ice. I had 8 -12" depending on and encountered no slush. In fact where I was at slush pockets had pretty much frozen to the point you barely knew they were there. Maybe half dozen of the 70 or so holes I drilled had water trapped yet and that was not very much. Looks great for next week, nice during the day but pretty much in the teens overnight to keep things frosty. Good luck all!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #379 on: Mar 03, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Had a successful weekend, hooked into a pair of tanks. Not quite a PB but darn close!

Da Pack!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #380 on: Mar 09, 2020, 10:37 AM »
Got back yesterday and gotta say there was some ups and downs. Weather was amazing on Wed when I got up, fished for Perch on the Boundary Waters (West Bay). Did ok, no whoppers to keep. Fished the same lake on Thursday....started off as light snow, turned to rain, turned to sleet, then back to snow and 40 mph winds. Got a few northerns and a nice upper 30's Musky, all thrown back of course. Friday was back to upper 30's, no wind and simply gorgeous. Saturday, warmer yet, but extremely windy. Both of the last two days were spent on the MI side of the Cisco Chain, and I got a bunch of walleyes, nothing of any size though.

I broke through come back through a sand cut, the front tracks on my ATV pulled me out, bit it got scary. If you're heading up to fish MI waters, you may have to bring bait. I could only find shiners at Kurt's Island in Minocqua. Glad I got out one more time. I think this might be it for my season, we'll see.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #381 on: Sep 18, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Had 32 degrees on the truck driving into Eau Claire this morning, looks like cooler temps up north. Won't be long fellas! At the rate we're going I'm hoping for first ice 11/7 to give me 2 weeks of shaking the itch before gun opener.
Da Pack!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #382 on: Sep 18, 2020, 11:01 AM »
wow 32 already chilly

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #383 on: Oct 13, 2020, 12:42 PM »
Fished the Cisco Chain the week of October 1, water temps were about 57, that has to be heading downwards this weekend.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #384 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:40 PM »
I was at High/Cauldron Falls near Crivitz last week. Water temps ranged from 51 to 55F depending on location and time of day.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #385 on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:44 AM »
was out walking on 1.5 inches of ice yesterday. Bays are locking up quick.

Warm temps next week will definitely put a hamper on things

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #386 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Well dang, that sure is exciting. I was hoping to take a trip up to the Hayward area next weekend if temps stayed cold next week, but 4 days around 50 looks like it'll push first ice back a week. Shooting for the 14th now.
Da Pack!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #387 on: Nov 24, 2020, 03:02 PM »
Observations coming down from Bayfield today:

Gile Flowage - 100% iced across and snow covered, wet cracks all over

Manny Waters - ice only in the bays

Little St. Germain - West Bay 100% iced over and snow covered out as far as I could see breezing by

Eagle River - Musky Bay 100% iced over and snow covered. Looked like the ice went clear out into the main lake on Catfish

Rangeline @ Three Lakes - 100% iced over and snow covered. Quite a few wet spots.

Snow cover at all locations was less than an inch of accumulation. Weather for the next week is not a deep freeze but should continue to build good ice and no snow in the forecast.

It's happening...  ;D

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #388 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Been out a couple times this week. Anywhere from 0 to 4.5'' of ice. Seems to be a lot of uneven ice sheets on lakes. One area will have 3-5, Next will have 1- 2.

Tread carefully.

And if it makes anyone feel better, fishing has not been that great.....

Stay safe out there.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #389 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Wishing I was there to watch the ice grow.
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.