Author Topic: Whitefish intestines.  (Read 4285 times)

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Whitefish intestines.
« on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Does anyone have a good link , with pictures to the anatomy or a whitefish?

I am wondering, with all the talk about them all beign fiulled with worms...what to look for.

I have been told there is a part of the intestines I think, that looks similar to worms...

Any pics, tips are appreciated!!

I CAUGHT MY FIRST WHITEFISH TODAY!!

Good luck!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Whitefish intestines.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:24 PM »
    Ryan, I caught cleaned and eaten whitefish from a few different waters both open water and thru the ice and never found any worms. They are very commonly caught in Lake Michigan in my area in Sturgeon Bay. No one I know has ever found worms in them. I think someone is misinformed or pulling your chain.

Spin

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:29 PM »
you will find them in the meat i beleave .. and to see them you candle the meat  ... hold it up to a light source and you will look through it and you should be able to see if there are any in there

thats how i do it as one lake i fish perch have them in them

spoxick

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:20 PM »
I believe he's talking about the organ that looks like a bunch of spaghetti when you cut the fish open.
If so it belongs there and isn't worms.

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:12 AM »
Ive been catching some on Saginaw Bay. Theyre incidental catches when im fishing for walleyes. That said, everyone ive cleaned has been packed full of blood worms...so yeah, they do eat worms. ;)
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:12 AM »
The spaghetti/worm lookin thing in there is the pyloric caeca, part of the intestin, just adds to the surface area of it for better absorbing nutrients, trout have a big one. If you want to see what its eating look in its gut,(big white tube coming from the head with a pouch) They eat a ton of larvae and some ive gutted in the fall from gill nets have been full of baby snails, mussels and the like. As far as parasites, they will more than likely be n the meat, if not no worries
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Ive been catching some on Saginaw Bay. Theyre incidental catches when im fishing for walleyes. That said, everyone ive cleaned has been packed full of blood worms...so yeah, they do eat worms. ;)

Yep, they are a large part of thier diet.
That's why wire worm flies work so well.  ;)

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:07 AM »
I cleaned a couple yesterday. One was chucked full of shiners and bloodworms. The other had a variety pack of food in there including a couple im still scratching my head about. Its stomach contained, 2 3 1/2" white bass, 2 shiners, ALLOT of small zebra mussels and the filler was blood worms. That thing was packed...why it bit my spoon and how it got those bass down ill never know!!! :o ???...I held them up to its tiny mouth and it just dont add up...Musta been a tight fit!!!
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I have caught them before on 4-7 inch dead bait that was on bottom for lake trout.  They can apparently munch some stuff that doesnt seem possible.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:48 AM »
They can apparently munch some stuff that doesnt seem possible.

JEEPERS!!!! That's like Oprah in the Buffet Line!!!!! ;D

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2009, 04:17 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!!

Oprah...man, I always tell my wife....she is the devil.

I am sure her and Dr. Phil are just making the earth ready for the end of days!!

Good Luck!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:58 PM »
   I've caught them in Green Bay with some pretty respectable sized gobies in them.

Spin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.