The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Under water lights.  (Read 842 times)

Offline zwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Under water lights.
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:37 PM »
I picked up an under water light to try this year for crappie and maybe smelt fishing.  Just wondering about placement under the ice?  Is it best to set the light up right underneath you or is it better to fish off to the side of it.  I tried it right under my shanty one night with no luck and it got me thinking if it would be better not to fish right on top of the light?  Any thoughts or input?

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Under water lights.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:43 PM »
I picked up an under water light to try this year for crappie and maybe smelt fishing.  Just wondering about placement under the ice?  Is it best to set the light up right underneath you or is it better to fish off to the side of it.  I tried it right under my shanty one night with no luck and it got me thinking if it would be better not to fish right on top of the light?  Any thoughts or input?

Put it about 5ft from you and just under the ice because it helps to reflect off the ice and will go deeper. Here is a site that sells them and gives good tips about using them ;) .

http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/Instructions.html

Offline Shep

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Under water lights.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:35 PM »
I use a green light myself, along with a buddy.  We bought ours from fishinglightsetc.com  I am a believer.  After 30 minutes in the water take a close peek down the hole and you can see the plankton stacked up.  we like our lights just below the surface.  good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.