Author Topic: Northern Pike In Indiana  (Read 7985 times)

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
Northern Pike In Indiana
« on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:56 PM »
Hey everyone out there!  New to the site and have been checking it out for a couple of Weeks now.  I've already learned a lot form the veteran ice fishermen. I have never caught a northern through the ice and IM hoping to change that this year.  I have purchased a couple of tip ups and now Im trying to figure out where to give them a try.  Do you guys have any suggestions on bodies of water to fish for northerns in Northeast Indiana?  Im not trying to get anybodys spot, just looking for bodies of water where I could have a good chance of catching a large northern.  I think I can figure out how to get a Northern if Im at least fishing where they exist.  Thanks for any info or suggestions!  TIght Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Northern Pike In Indiana
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:18 PM »
Lake James, Jimmerson, Snow, Big Otter, Lake George, Clear, Crooked, those are all in Stueben county if you didnt know. they all have pike and some good ones.

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2005, 10:55 PM »
Thanks Ice Dude.  I'm somewhat familiar with all of those lakes.  I'm new to trying for these toothy critters through the ice so I'm gathering as much info as I can to target them.  Ideally I would like to find a place where I can set up a couple of tip ups and while I'm watching for flags I can stick some nice gills and crappies.  Do you fish for Northerns much through the ice?  If so, any advice? Thanks again and Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!

terrieb80

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2005, 11:04 PM »
Ice dude is correct............... .as a mater of fact.....out front of Docksiders on James is known as Pike alley....There are several sand bars out aways heading south southeast.......

Dont forget Hamilton......well known for crappie but full of Northern.......I would probably guess there is a state record northern in Hamilton......of course the Crappie have been a little harder to find as of late!

Good luck.....I know I will drop a tip-up when I'm gill fishing!!

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:55 AM »
I second the recommendation on Hamilton.  Never ice fished it but have caught over 30 in soft water there..Chapman lake by Warsaw is a good pike lake also.

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2005, 09:05 AM »
sorry i forgot Hamilton. I have caught 2 out of there over 9 lb. but that was out of the boat. Never been on the ice. Here is one from a couple of years ago.

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2005, 02:15 PM »
Also Chapman and Wawasee have heafty Northerns.

Chapman Northern

Another one

One More
Carp

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2005, 03:12 PM »
Hey Carp........... I saw a couple guys venturing out on Big Chapman Sat. afternoon. After last night and today it should be good to go!!!!!
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:19 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'll have to set up a trip with the tip ups to these waters.  Sounds like Hamilton might be just what im looking for.  Anyone know how the ice is there? Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:28 PM »
"Hamilton"
The bay near the beach had ice anglers on it yesterday.  I saw one pike on the ice.  Not sure of the thickness, but it must be making some serious ice the last 24 hours with this cold weather.
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

terrieb80

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:41 PM »
If they are fishing there.....they are probably fishing about anywhere on Hamilton.............F W...keep me in mind after Christmas...I have all of next week off and would enjoy a trip up to Hamilton.........The new bait shop in the old laundry mat will have a good choice of bait.....latern.....cr appie and tip-ups for northern!!!   Yeee haa....maybe a little snake bite medicine in a bottle!!!    ;D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:56 PM »
FWFeecherman,

Hamilton is good for large pike and numbers but if you have your heart set on really big pike, as a taxidermist, I have found all the really big bruisers I've taken in over the years have come from the deeper Lakes that are planted with rainbow trout or have cisco. Clear Lake is number one ( I have a friend that trolls Clear all summer and gets a bite off now and then) and Oliver Lake in Lagrange county is a sleeper for big pike. I mounted one for a gentlemen that took a 25 lb. 15 oz. 45 incher from Oliver several years back. I also mounted the state record pike out of Clear that was 48 inches in length. A taxidermist friend on Lake George mounted a beat up 49 incher from Clear but it did not weight as much.

Remember lakes planted with rainbows that also have pike have the biggest ones.

One of my customers took several large pike one out of the 25 foot hole on the northwest side of clear with tip ups. It's the one in the area that is shallow all around it near the Condos before it goes into Round Lake. If you have a good contour map it's really obvious.

Only downside to these lakes is they are very deep and have safe ice later.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:58 PM »
Thanks for the info taxidermist1.  Do you run a taxidermist business?  If so, where at.  I've been thinking of getting a steelhead mounted this coming year sometime.  How is the access on the lakes you suggested?  I am typically finding it difficult to get on some of the lakes that are recommended to me.  Thanks again for the info.  Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Thanks for the info taxidermist1.  Do you run a taxidermist business?  If so, where at.  I've been thinking of getting a steelhead mounted this coming year sometime.  How is the access on the lakes you suggested?  I am typically finding it difficult to get on some of the lakes that are recommended to me.  Thanks again for the info.  Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!

Feecherman,

Clear Lake has an access site with decent parking on the southeast corner and there is a good weedline if follow the shoreline on your right going straight north. Probably some pike off of that weedline. However, it would be too much in my opinion to walk from there to the 25 foot hole I was talking about. I used to be able to park on the southwest corner next to Round lake and from there one could crossover at the culvert tube and fish that hole. However that has been a few years ago so I'm not sure if that is a possiblity anymore.

I really dont' want to promote my business on here but you can go to my website at http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

BTW I'm not posting from Indiana right now. I'm in Florida with the parents for their 5oth wedding anniversary. I think it's 67 F. here right now. LOL Would prefer to be icefishing though on one of my ponds!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:11 PM »
Thanks taxidermist1!  Enjoy Florida!  Are you getting to do any fishing while you are there? I'm going there in January to visit my in-laws.  Hoping to do some Salt fishing while I'm there.  My plan is to catch some fish on the ice on Thursday, and then catch some reds or sea trout on Friday!  Any suggestions on where to fish for Northerns on Oliver?  I fish a small bay for trout there, but have never known about any pike.  The bay I fish has a small stream running into it and its not far from the public launch.   Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:15 AM »
I would fish that area near the public access. I've caught pike there in the spring and it has a good weedline out in front of it. I've actually caught every species of fish in the lake in that area while other folks are booking to the other end of the lake.

Keep in mind there is an 18 inch size limit on browns with only one per day for bag limit. Rainbows is still a five fish bag limit with a 7 inch size limit. NEITA (Northeastern Indiana Trout Association) had been planting browns and brooks in the Oliver Lake Chain for the last several years as the state only plants rainbows. We feel (I'm a member) the browns have more trophy potential and therefore should be protected until they reach trophy size. A 7 pound brown was taken out of the outlet channel pond the year before last.

Be careful on Oliver. It's usually one of the last lakes to completely freeze over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.