Author Topic: Fish skinning apparatus????  (Read 2341 times)

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Fish skinning apparatus????
« on: Mar 12, 2007, 07:32 AM »
years ago i saw a tool that removed the skin from a fillet. (panfish)  it was hand held, you gripped the fillet and turned the handle and it pulled the fillet through and removed the skin.  i thought cabelas carried them but i cannot find them.   anyone know where i can buy one.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fish skinning apparatus????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2007, 08:59 AM »
years ago i saw a tool that removed the skin from a fillet. (panfish)  it was hand held, you gripped the fillet and turned the handle and it pulled the fillet through and removed the skin.  i thought cabelas carried them but i cannot find them.   anyone know where i can buy one.
Used to have one threw it away can skin faster with a knife.

Offline Tim Hanford

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:58 AM »
I think this is what you are looking for, it's called a Townsend Fish Skinner.  I haven't seen one in a store in a long time but Janns carries them for what appears to be the going price.  They aren't cheap but they work.  We used one when we were growing up.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fillet-equipment/012352000362.aspx

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2007, 10:02 AM »
thank you very much, i am ordering one right now.  i have an 8 year old that fishes and watches when i clean the fish, he asked me yesterday when he could start to fillet, i told him he was too young get that he could hurt himself, i did let him skin a couple of fillets with my knife while i helped him, this will make him part of the cleaning, which he will love. 

thanks again. 
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline Tim Hanford

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Anything to help the kids get involved is a good thing.  Congrats to you for getting your son involved.  Glad to help.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:26 PM »
thank you very much, i am ordering one right now.  i have an 8 year old that fishes and watches when i clean the fish, he asked me yesterday when he could start to fillet, i told him he was too young get that he could hurt himself, i did let him skin a couple of fillets with my knife while i helped him, this will make him part of the cleaning, which he will love. 

thanks again. 

That's what I did when I was a kid. Mine's still hanging above the washtub at my mom's house. I wonder if cranking through thousands of perch fillets when I was a kid started my carpal tunnel syndrome.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:51 PM »
that and playboy... ;D

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2007, 01:26 PM »
that fish skinner is a blast from the past!
used one the first time i ever cleaned a fish.(early 70's)
we didn't filet our fish, either gramps didn't know how or maybe he thought it wasted meat.
we used it in conjunction with a special pair of pliers-with large flat jaws and big intermeshing teeth.
we gutted the fish, cut off the head, and ran a knife down each sid of the dorsal and ventral  fins, and pulled the fins out with the pliers,from the back to front, then ran both sides through the skinner.
gramma cooked the fish whole, bones and all.
important to slice the fins first, or it don't work.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2007, 03:18 PM »
that brings back memories!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2007, 04:14 PM »

thanks again. 
Like to see Dads like you out there. My wife was a teacher and saw to many dads that weren't

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2007, 05:17 AM »
for the life of me i could never figure out why a dad would not spend time with a child.  they are our greatest resource and a blast to have around, i was laughing the other day that he is one of us, we were on the ice this weekend and he yelled over to me, come over here we are hammerin them.   If you have children take them to the outdoors, if you don't, take one anyway.  Earth is not ours, we are just borrowing it from our children.   

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2007, 05:40 AM »
The fillet knife is what I'd use but it is comendable you want to put your son in the act and the money will be well spent by getting the skinner.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.