Author Topic: In a jackpot...  (Read 1087 times)

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
In a jackpot...
« on: Mar 04, 2007, 07:50 PM »
I'm in a jackpot and need suggestions.  The scenario:  we've gotten a fair amount of snow here in Vt. last coupla weeks, lots of weight on the ice and every hole I drill floods the hell outta me.  My shanty is frozen almost to the door!!!!!!!  Skis are in almost 10 inches of ice (I know I know, why didn't you block it?  1st year with shanty).  My thinking is that when it starts to melt on top, it should free up.  If not, I built it so I can easily remove the walls and then work at the deck.  Anyone ever have this happen to them and what did you do?  It doesn't have to be off the ice for 2 more weeks, so I might get enough warm weather without toomuch ice loss--I hope.  Suggestions welcome

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: In a jackpot...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Sounds like time to break out the chainsaws and the come-along :)
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:33 AM »
i never use a shanty as you see my screen name but i wouldnt just let it get worse i have seen peolpe use spuds but ten inches you will need a chain saw this time of year you dont know how soon it will start to soften

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Wait until sunday. It is suppose to rain saturday night into sunday morning. also the temps will be in the 40's. It should free up some. Then try using a spud to chisle and a 2x4 to lift up the ends and walk the shanty over abot 10 feet. We just did that last saturday with our shanty. Oh yeah, make sure you block it up. ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline deerslayer92163

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • perch,crappie,w alleye,steelhea d,northern,etc.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:44 AM »
its happened to me i used a floor jack to put pressure upwards then i used an axe to chop the ice around the outsides of the skis it took me a couple hours as i was also froze in about 10in of ice but it worked with no damage to the shanty

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 04:12 PM »
My cousin has this happen 2 years ago and he ended up having to put a new floor in his hut cause the ice had flooded up to the floor. It happened rather quickly so he didnt have time to really prevent it. It took alot of chopping just too loosen up enough to pull it out.

Offline azzlevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2007, 04:56 PM »
totaly off t he record...and im even embarassed to recommend.... matter of fact. i repeat don't do this..... but BURN BABY BURN.... NO NONN ONON NO DON'T DO THAT 
   U E-MAILED ME ABOUT MY GIVING OUT TOO MUCH INFO I BELIVE....E-MAIL ME AGAIN... AND GET MY PHONE NUMBA.... I'LL COME WATCH. HAHA

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:14 PM »
azzle
wasn't me who told you you had too much info.  do what ya want, we live in vermont ;D ;D ;D ;D.  I think it''ll be chainsaws and jacks.  thanks for the tips everyone

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2007, 01:12 PM »
She's freed up!!!  Chainsaws and pry bars.  I had to sacrifice the floor joists, but I'm sure I can find something to use scrap 2x4 on around here!!!!  Wasn't as much work as I feared, but you can bet yer sweet bippy, there'll be blocks in the shanty next year and if we get flooding, up she goes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.