Author Topic: Perch cultivation  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Perch cultivation
« on: Jan 22, 2004, 07:05 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has heard of or know if it is possible to tkae the eggs froma perch and milk the sperm from a male and keep them in a jar or container and actually help reproduce baby perch. I know this sounds odd i was just curious if anyone knows if this is at all possible? ROfl This is a serious question though.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Perch cultivation
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2004, 01:23 PM »
Try mixing the eggs and sperm together and putting the eggs into an aquarium with clean water and an aerator.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:10 PM »
Hmm i think ill give it a try. While im mixcing them together you think i should distilled water? Will it matter? Or should i trasfer some water from the lake to my house to mix before putting into the aqairium?
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

fishmann

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2004, 03:04 PM »
Methinks Germ is trying to raise his own strain of 34 inch, 8 lb,  muskie eating perch!   ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, I'd suggest the closest thing to lake water as you could find, the distilled water may not have some of the nutrients required for proper development.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2004, 04:02 PM »
lol na just feel bad all the time in the winter taking all the perch will try to give back this year by being a foster parent to some perch. Tight lines!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:49 AM »
Kills me all the fish iv'e been hitting now have been females so i havent been able to milke a male so i have to throw the eggs out at the time . Man lol Welcome to the frankenstein Lair lol. Tight lines all,.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:18 PM »
Germ - water quality needs to be almost perfect (acidity especially), and temperature range would have to stay within set limits to promote both fertilization and growth.  If you let the adult perch's body temp drop below a certain point, the spawn is worthless.  There are alot of variables to deal with to try and raise your own.  I don't know all the variables, but have talked with suppliers.  Those guys can tell you the temperature of their fry tanks at 1 week intervals.  It's their job, and they know what they're doing.  If you do succeed with growing them and dump them in the lake at 1" long, they're lunch.  For everything.

If you want to give back, join up and volunteer with a local club that plants fish.  If there isn't already one, start one.  If nothing else, you got a really good reason to have a fishing derby.

kero
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Good point there...Ill try some differnt Techs on this avenue and ill post if i get any to actually hatch. Anyone know if this experiment is actually agaisnt the law or what? ROfl oh well waste not want not i say! Tight lines all.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Good point there...Ill try some differnt Techs on this avenue and ill post if i get any to actually hatch. Anyone know if this experiment is actually agaisnt the law or what? ROfl oh well waste not want not i say! Tight lines all.

i believe in most states it would be illegal..... ESPECIALLY when your planning on dumping them back into the lake. I also agree that it will be near impossible, however, to even get them to hatch. fish are VERY sensitive to conditions that most people dont even know exist or even that they can exist.

Melbs            :'(

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perch cultivation
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2004, 03:31 PM »
I think if to a differnt body of water then for sure it would be Illegal ..i havent had the chance to do it anyhow havent been out much i could be out right now and im not..what the heck am i thinking. Im headed out tommorow for a fish for most the day so lets see what happens there. As far as condtions of water im going to take a thermomitor and drop it to the bottom where the eggs would be and see what temp it is and try to keep my temp the same and still take the water from the lake so that its all pretty much the same. Im just curious as if it can be done or not. No harm in seeing is there? it should happen soon ill post and let ya know!

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:48 PM »
Germ,
I would check with your local authorities.  I think most states if not all are opposed (read illegal) to private stocking of public lakes, unless they know about it.  This is especially true with all the problems this country has been haveing with alien species being introduced.  I think it was a nice idea to give back, I just don't think it was the best way to go about doing it.
Tight lines
Jeff
t'pup!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2004, 02:57 PM »
Yes i have asked THe MNR about it and THey have said i can help with programs that help stock lakes. Its a 15 hour course and you have to also give 40 hours of your time a year to keep in this. It doesnt nessasarily have to do with fish restocking that is just some of the aspects that are in it as well. They advised me that the Perch cultivation is iillegal  and not to be done. If i owned a Property where i had ponds etc then i could buy from hatcherys fish or get a licence to become a hatchery. Blah blah blah..Bottom line is IM not legally allowed to cultivate fish. The course im referring to is FIsh guardiian if anyone else is interested Check the Local MNR sites. Thus the COnversation for this Posting should be done with. Thanks all for posting!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2004, 01:48 PM »
Lets just say hypothetically Germ tried this and Put the eggs together and the sperm and Kept LAke water from the lake he got it out of and lets just say that hypothetically they died and Germ wont be trying it again...Hypothecticall y that is As it is illegal to harvest Eggs So thats why it WAS NEVER done (ahem) failed anyhow.(hypothetically anyhow)

nuke1neil

« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2004, 06:01 PM »
I don't think it would be illegal if you put them back in the same lake that they originated from.It's not a new introduction since they came from there,they are native to that lake and would'nt have any disease because they never contacted any other water.I say go for it.There are enviromental lawyers just in case,who I'm sure could get you a jury trial..........

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Yes well point is i failed....Ahem...lol might have to work on the oxygen level compared to egg holder size...I kept the levels off water same as lake water in perperature that is..It hink i failed on the O2 level in the water? Or not enough flow ? Not sure...Ill post if i try again and i succeed:> Tight lines!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2004, 06:27 PM »
Shouldn't you at least buy them dinner first? Perhaps meet their parents?  ;D   ;D   ;D

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Lol i met the parents ANd i certainly did invite them for dinner...Since they were the main course lol...

Offline 2r3d

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2004, 06:54 PM »
I am a Licensed fish farmer (perch) are what I am raising. They do have a (dry) method of stirring in eggs with sperm. They use a feather to mix them together. They do the dry method because the egg skin will harden within 1 min. if in water. So in a stainless steel bowl you milk out female eggs, Must add here..... The female must be in the berry state..........Tha means the vent hole must look red and somewhat swollen.....then allow a males sperm to make contact with the eggs. Mix with a feather for a min. or 2. Add some water, The same water that you will be putting the eggs into. I myself have never used this method because I allow my broodstock to do it all for me. After 10 days or so my ribbon of eggs develope eyes, and kinda swell up maybe 10% or so. This is the time I tranfer the eggs to my 1 acre pond for grow out. The last batch of eggs have done very well. From eggs in April and up to 7 inches by early Sept. But most perch are in the 5 in. range.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2004, 07:05 AM »
See now i got it to the point where it had the eyes and it swelled up...but then nothing....i waited probably 12 days by then but i think i didnt have enough circulation for them once they got going in the cycle..Oh well i guess i wasn't supposed to play god with fish...Just thought it  would be cool to give it a try...On a side note do you or can you Get ling as fingerling? Or do you know anyone who does or can?

Offline 2r3d

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2004, 12:39 AM »
sorry for Such a delay in posting here..... Ling I love them, I looked into raising them also. But they eat so much live feed that a person will go broke feeding/raising them.... If anyone out there knows of a body of water that I can catch,lll/burbot/lawyer/elpout or whatever they want to call them. I would travel hundreds of miles for them. Of couse the bag limits would have to make it worth a person windshield time. After about 10-12 days, the eyes should of appeared, and a day or two after the eyes deveolpe the eggs hatch.... The 1 thing that can kill off a mass of eggs is the temps. A good thing to do is place the eggs in a sinking screen cage system. So the eggs can be lowered into the water, say 2 ft or so. This helps the eggs from  sudden/fast temp. changes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.