Author Topic: Twin lakes area ?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Twin lakes area ?
« on: Dec 11, 2008, 02:39 PM »
was just wondering if anyone has been out to the twin lakes area? Iam planning on heading out ther saturday morn to check one of my favorite blue gill lakes ""Sandy ""
 ;D Does anyone else fish out that way ?

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Twin lakes area ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2008, 03:55 PM »
I am heading out of town (Chicago, San Francisco, Chicago, Guatemala, Chicago) and wont be able to fish till february, but I was also thinking of trying sandy lake on the way out of town. How good is the early morning bite there? I think the lake probably has solid ice by now with these temps. (Roland was ice over before thanksgiving, and it's much bigger and deeper)

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Be careful! With all the snow up that way the ice may not be too good. Good luck if you do go and let us know about the conditions.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:20 AM »
I have a buddy that fished sandy last weekend, but he fishes ice i wouldnt let my dog walk on. I walked out on gerald last weekend. got 20 feet from shore, my spud went through like butter. I'll give gerald one more week

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:16 AM »
I have a buddy that fished sandy last weekend, but he fishes ice i wouldnt let my dog walk on. I walked out on gerald last weekend. got 20 feet from shore, my spud went through like butter. I'll give gerald one more week
im going to give it a try tomarrow with a few buddys so hopefully we can get on

Offline bearfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2008, 03:14 PM »
I'm going to give it a try tomarrow with a few buddys so hopefully we can get on

be carefull the ice further north is not good yet
hi all

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Hey bearfinder where Ya mean north  what lakes did ya check ????

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2008, 08:15 PM »
dmt, any luck on finding good ice/fish. Didn't end up getting out myself due to late start in packing. Ice in Illinois might be in for hard times, as it's pouring rain outside  :-[

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Yeah we fished Sandy today LOTS of snow out there ice was kinda SPOOKY about 2in of crappy
ice. Itook home about 10 good size Gills and missed a few more, I was thinking about goin back on monday but the weather is not lookin too good.

P.S if you go BE VERY VERY CAREFUL and I dont recomend going alone  :tipup:

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Yeah we fished Sandy today LOTS of snow out there ice was kinda SPOOKY about 2in of crappy
ice. Itook home about 10 good size Gills and missed a few more, I was thinking about goin back on monday but the weather is not lookin too good.

P.S if you go BE VERY VERY CAREFUL and I dont recomend going alone  :tipup:

DMT--Did you have a blue truck with a plow blade on the front?  I checked out about half a dozen lakes today and didn't bother to go all the way in on Sandy but saw that truck. 
Chris Raymond

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Has anybody recently checked on how Otter Lake is doin?

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Has anybody recently checked on how Otter Lake is doin?

Stopped by yesterday.  It was about 3" of white (ice) no more than 50' out and about 4"-5" or so about 20' out from the launch.  A fair amount of slush on top.  A couple of other guys were there testing ice.  I didn't speak with them but they went south along the shore to check in front of the weed beds.  They didn't get too far.  Might hit it today, if I can get all my Christmastodos done this morning. 

The active spot was Portage, folks in perms are already out in the main lake.  Many people in the narrows.  Only two shanties on the far side in Chassell Bay.  I didn't check the ice as I was running short on time and wasn't going to be able to fish. 
Chris Raymond

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Might hit it today, if I can get all my Christmastodos done this morning. 

Let me know how you do if you end up going

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:16 PM »
DMT--Did you have a blue truck with a plow blade on the front?  I checked out about half a dozen lakes today and didn't bother to go all the way in on Sandy but saw that truck.  LOL yeah chris that was us a buddy of mine drove yesterday and decided to plow a little back there """ BIG MISTAKE """" we got stuck and had to dig out by hand it took us atleast an hour to dig out but did manage to fish after that .How were the other lakes you checked ?like I said before if you decide to fish Sandy BE VERY VERY CAREFUL that ice is not at all in good shape hopefully a week or two it will get better.If you decide to go let me know maybee i can join ya 

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:14 AM »
Let me know how you do if you end up going

WK--Didn't get out unfortunately due to other obligations and such. 

DMT--Thanks for the head's up on the ice out there.  I'm not a fan of white first ice.  I just wait a little bit for things to sort themselves out.  Wish we wouldn't have had all this damn snow. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:25 AM »
it is suppose to get down to the negatives this week. That will make some ice for us!

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:47 AM »
well i think iam going to give it a try again on saturday.Anyone else want fish saturday ?maybee meet up at the lake ? :tipup:

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:19 AM »
well i think iam going to give it a try again on saturday.Anyone else want fish saturday ?maybee meet up at the lake ? :tipup:

I'll be down here in Alpena til after Christmas but I'm good to go when I come back.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:00 AM »
davemillertime, I'm thinking of making a trip up to Houghton to fish sometime next month on a weekend. If you want to meet up let me know.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:55 AM »
I'll be down here in Alpena til after Christmas but I'm good to go when I come back.

well lets hook up after ya get back . i have to go down to Brighton for xmas and willl be back on new years eve""""with my new vexlar fl-18""' ;D

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:56 AM »
davemillertime, I'm thinking of making a trip up to Houghton to fish sometime next month on a weekend. If you want to meet up let me know.

Lets do it let me know before ya get to town  :tipup:

Offline k_bay_killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Sandy was the first lake I fished this year. I went there on the 29th and sleighed the bluegill. I quit counting after 50, and caught many more than that. I ended up taking home my limit with a handful that were a little bigger than my hand. 1 crappie in the mix. The ice was very, very shady. It was about an inch and a half of black ice with about an inch of slush, with a frozen crust on that. So every step I took I was breaking through that crust, praying I'm not going swimming. Let's face it...I was desperate after not being able to ice fish last season. But that lake produces on first ice. Went back the next week with a buddy and sat in over a foot of snow and some slush, and the ice wasn't much thicker. We probably got 6 bluegill total and a few bass. We packed it up after a while and went and tried some of those no-name ponds on the side of the highway.
"I'd rather be on shore wishing I could make it on the ice than on the ice wishing I could make it to shore"

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Sandy was the first lake I fished this year. I went there on the 29th and sleighed the bluegill. I quit counting after 50, and caught many more than that. I ended up taking home my limit with a handful that were a little bigger than my hand. 1 crappie in the mix. The ice was very, very shady. It was about an inch and a half of black ice with about an inch of slush, with a frozen crust on that. So every step I took I was breaking through that crust, praying I'm not going swimming. Let's face it...I was desperate after not being able to ice fish last season. But that lake produces on first ice. Went back the next week with a buddy and sat in over a foot of snow and some slush, and the ice wasn't much thicker. We probably got 6 bluegill total and a few bass. We packed it up after a while and went and tried some of those no-name ponds on the side of the highway.

Ill be headed there in the morn. How did you do on those other lakes ? If ya go this weekend and see a green dodge Ram stop by and say hello

Offline k_bay_killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Hope you caught a lot there. You find any crappie in there? I've had my share of bluegill this year so far. I like hitting those small lakes up early while I wait for kbay to freeze. I live in Lake Linden so I don't make it by there much unless I'm going to fish.
"I'd rather be on shore wishing I could make it on the ice than on the ice wishing I could make it to shore"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.