Author Topic: Critique my quick strike set up please.  (Read 5331 times)

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Critique my quick strike set up please.
« on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Hey everyone

Like the post says I want people to critique my quick strike rig. I fish in Alberta and Sask so we don’t fish live bait here.

I fish a 40# main line to a 4’ 40# seager leader material fluoro. I attach the leader and main with a surgeons knot and glue it. From my leader I run a swivel to my homemade quick strike. QS is yolk system not an inline, made with 100# fluoro, some with beeds and blades and some with none. Business end is a 4# treble. Usually fishing 8” baits.

I have yet to have a bite off but I am militant in checking my leaders and rig. Very rare will the leader be in the pikes mouth, usually just the QS rig.

I think this year I will do a side by side comparison with wire and fluoro. I like the idea of not having to use crimps. Suggestions on wire would be awesome.

Thanks for any advice

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Critique my quick strike set up please.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:09 PM »
run 7 strand non coated wire, can be tightly twisted for form a connection at hook/ swivel with no crimping required. works great and has a strong hold.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:27 AM »
I run AFW single strand in 37lb (I think?) and 60lb flouro.  Last year it was wire only and had a terrible season.  I was using 40lb flouro the year before and broke off a couple fish, so I switched to wire.  This year, I switched back to flouro and bumped it up to 60lb.  Results pending.  I will quote some others from this forum....."Steel is Real!"  I love the idea that I won't have to worry about a break off, but it doesn't matter if I don't get a bite.  I am not convinced that pike don't care about seeing a leader.  My open water experience has shown me that pike can be extremely picky and tight lipped.  Especially big girls that get a lot of pressure.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Since pretty much everyone knows my preference for business end material I'm only going to comment on the Q/S design.

I've always used the classic in-line design with a sliding hook to match bait size. The yoke or "Y" design came about because of the perceived "need" to have dead baits hang "perfectly" horizontal.

First, I've never believed the horizontal thing though it may make it easier for the pike to strike without having to turn it's head/body to get into position.

Second, as I think about a fish opening it's mouth to engulf a bait, all I can see is the front of the mouth hitting the line/leader and bumping the bait out of the way. With the "Y" design there are not just two opportunities for that to happen but addition of inadequate space between the "legs" of the rig that actually widen the opportunity for that to happen. Sure, it can happen with a single in-line leader but I believe that risk is minimized.

Confession: As much as I like to play I've not played with "Y" design Q/S rigs. Why? 'Cause what I've been using works very, very well and I'm not remotely convinced it is, in any way, a better arrangement. Maybe I've got something to learn but that's going to be difficult. Ask this: If a horizontal presentation is not necessary, what would you choose and why?

Not saying what you've got won't work. Just offering something to consider.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Since pretty much everyone knows my preference for business end material I'm only going to comment on the Q/S design.

I've always used the classic in-line design with a sliding hook to match bait size. The yoke or "Y" design came about because of the perceived "need" to have dead baits hang "perfectly" horizontal.

First, I've never believed the horizontal thing though it may make it easier for the pike to strike without having to turn it's head/body to get into position.

Second, as I think about a fish opening it's mouth to engulf a bait, all I can see is the front of the mouth hitting the line/leader and bumping the bait out of the way. With the "Y" design there are not just two opportunities for that to happen but addition of inadequate space between the "legs" of the rig that actually widen the opportunity for that to happen. Sure, it can happen with a single in-line leader but I believe that risk is minimized.

Confession: As much as I like to play I've not played with "Y" design Q/S rigs. Why? 'Cause what I've been using works very, very well and I'm not remotely convinced it is, in any way, a better arrangement. Maybe I've got something to learn but that's going to be difficult. Ask this: If a horizontal presentation is not necessary, what would you choose and why?

Not saying what you've got won't work. Just offering something to consider.

Relatively new to the forum so not sure what you use for your Leader material. Assuming wire. Particular kind?

Where I fish in Alberta and sask we can’t use live bait, that’s why I fish the yoke system, never considered hanging bait anything other then horizontal. Inline system would work great for hanging more vertical.

I will have to test out horizontal vs vertical with the same leader material and see over time if their is a difference.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Yep, I'm a wire guy. Uncoated, stranded wire in 30# for deads. I just hook 'em up and drop 'em down the hole. Sometimes to keep the horizontal purists quiet I stick a nail in the vent to put the weight in the backside and tip the front up a bit. Never any sinkers, I learned to carry a few 16p nails in my pocket to weight deads. They're concealed and if they or the bait falls out it's only iron and will rust away in time without being toxic.

The hang level thing is sorta old school. All the old timers and guys that learned directly from old timers are in that camp. I started late, when I was 20 something back in the 80's and didn't have a mentor. Had enough success just hooking 'em up that I didn't feel the need to tinker the level thing. Plus I fished with enough guys that did I could see it really didn't make any difference.

And no, my way ain't gospel. It's just the way I do things and it works well so I'm not compelled to change. My mind is open but you'll really have to prove it.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:10 PM »
I've always been of the belief that pike are pretty opportunistic feeders and anything they don't have to expend a lot of energy to get is a plus for them.  Minnow hanging off-kilter would be similar to one dying or struggling and would represent easy prey.  Winter walleye are pretty much the same and will slam spoons, raps, etc. with a trio of minnows hanging pretty much vertical.  Saginaw Bay trick used by some old walleye slayers is to pop the air bladder on minnows before sending them down - no worries or concerns about vertical.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:16 PM »
ive never used the gawdy quickstrike rigs.maybe if I only had dead bait.but I release the real big northerns and that rig makes a mess out of a northerns mouth when all the hooks go in.i get a good number of pike on a single 2/0 circle hook.i do use no.6  or 4 single trebles a lot.ive ran Swedish hooks on dead bait before too.nobody around here uses the quick strike rig.all my opinion and use what works for you and in no way trying to offend.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:52 PM »
ive never used the gawdy quickstrike rigs.maybe if I only had dead bait.but I release the real big northerns and that rig makes a mess out of a northerns mouth when all the hooks go in.i get a good number of pike on a single 2/0 circle hook.i do use no.6  or 4 single trebles a lot.ive ran Swedish hooks on dead bait before too.nobody around here uses the quick strike rig.all my opinion and use what works for you and in no way trying to offend.

QS Rigs can defiantly wreck a pikes mouth if you aren’t on your tip ups quick. Been there done that, but now I am pretty quick on my flags.

How would you run a single or two single hooks in dead 8+ inch bait.

Thanks.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:53 PM »
Nothin' particularly gaudy about this:

Just a coupla hooks and thin piece of wire. Unless you live in a state that requires some beads and/or a blade to legally fish a tandem hooked rig (like MN).

Never really had a wrecked mouth I can recall either. Certainly no more so than picking a Rapala or other multihooked open water lure out of a toothy maw. Quick Strikes are exactly that. No waiting, if there's line moving, pull the string. you either get 'em or you don't. Biggest hooks I use are #6 so relatively small. Most of the time hook or hooks are right up front where I can easily remove them.

Swedish or "pike" hooks are proven fish killers. Because of the way they pivot up into the roof of the mouth they often get up near the brain and even when you release fish that seem unharmed, the post-release mortality rate is extremely high. These were staples for dead bait fishing here decades ago but now you rarely see them on the pegs anywhere in WI. Some of the old timers called them quick strike rigs but they're a far cry from the pair of small tandem hooks I use.

Are single points requisite where you fish Remps or just your preference? Got a buddy that fishes deads with a single #4 treble hooked near the dorsal and does very well. He's pretty quick on the set so Matts either got 'em with the hook up front or not. But that is not what I would call a "single hook". If a single hook is a must I'd go with probably larger than you think so that lone point gets mouth instead of burying into the bait.

As the good Dr. noted, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Lot of it depends on your learning and experiences.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Nothin' particularly gaudy about this:

Just a coupla hooks and thin piece of wire. Unless you live in a state that requires some beads and/or a blade to legally fish a tandem hooked rig (like MN).

Never really had a wrecked mouth I can recall either. Certainly no more so than picking a Rapala or other multihooked open water lure out of a toothy maw. Quick Strikes are exactly that. No waiting, if there's line moving, pull the string. you either get 'em or you don't. Biggest hooks I use are #6 so relatively small. Most of the time hook or hooks are right up front where I can easily remove them.

Swedish or "pike" hooks are proven fish killers. Because of the way they pivot up into the roof of the mouth they often get up near the brain and even when you release fish that seem unharmed, the post-release mortality rate is extremely high. These were staples for dead bait fishing here decades ago but now you rarely see them on the pegs anywhere in WI. Some of the old timers called them quick strike rigs but they're a far cry from the pair of small tandem hooks I use.

Are single points requisite where you fish Remps or just your preference? Got a buddy that fishes deads with a single #4 treble hooked near the dorsal and does very well. He's pretty quick on the set so Matts either got 'em with the hook up front or not. But that is not what I would call a "single hook". If a single hook is a must I'd go with probably larger than you think so that lone point gets mouth instead of burying into the bait.

As the good Dr. noted, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Lot of it depends on your learning and experiences.

we can run up to 3 hooks inline doesn't need to be single point. What brand and test of wire you running? 20lb enough or 30lb?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:30 PM »
I've used a number of different wire suppliers. AFW (American fishing Wire) is probably the most common but Mason, Malin, Berkley and SevenStrand all make good stuff. Standard dead bait rig for me is 30# wire with a pair of 3x short shank round bend #6 hooks. You'll also need a bit of heat shrink tubing available in the electrical section of your local hardware or home improvement store.

Here's some instructions for working with the wire, no crimp necessary. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=243422.msg2468614#msg2468614

Make sure you get uncoated 1x7 (7 strand) wire. Nylon coated and/or more strands dictate a different connection.

Happy leader making!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.