Author Topic: New to using tungsten jigs  (Read 3176 times)

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to using tungsten jigs
« on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:24 PM »
I'm going to start using Tungsten jigs this year and am not sure what rod specs are appropriate for fishing them. I will use them for perch, crappies, blue gills, etc. I'll be fishing out of a flip over in most cases. What are folks using for this type of fishing?

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to using tungsten jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Along with the rod recommendation, are folks using braid, or mono? What pound test is being used? Again this is for perch and various panfish.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:59 AM »
My go to rod the last few years has been the Clam Spooler Elite Combo in ultra light with a spring bobber added on. as for tungsten jigs my go to is the #12 glow red drop jig with either a maki plastic on it or euro larvas (depends on what the fish want that day). I run 2lb mono on all my gill &crappie rods and go up to 3lbs for perch (might up to 4lb if there is walleyes around).
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2018, 03:59 AM »
Here's my set up...and this is just me:

1) I'm not about high-end rods...Schooley Arctic Blues and HT Ice Blues...both around $20 each. Lengths are 36" and 48". Nothing special in the reels I use either.

2) Line choice...fluoro or mono 1 - 3#. Right now I'm using 3# fluoro but considering going back to 1# mono...next season. We'll see  :-\

What I am about are good, high quality indicators and jigs:

1) I use Fiskas jigs...well made and real sharp. Primarily 3mm but go to 4mm on occasion...nothing bigger. No swivel or split shot either.

2) And Ice Strong titanium indicators...a little pricey but the best for me. Extremely sensitive. I do modify them a bit.

Summary...I like my rods because they have a relatively thin tip, but they're not "whippy"...I'd call them "light" action. That's why I choose the indicators I use, let them detect the bite (even the slightest) as they are designed to do, and with the well-balanced/sharp jig and a not too flexible tip, hook sets are quick and precise...just a flick of the wrist. This set-up works real well for me, especially on those light-bite, finicky days when the fish are in their "suck-n-spit" modes...which is quite often as we get later in the season. We can usually catch the dinks all day long but the bigger gills...sometimes a little tougher. And I like to be ready. jmo.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:17 AM »
When I started using tungsten jigs, I really didn't change my equipment. Yes they are heavier and get down faster than lead, but it doesn't take specialized equipment to use them. I use only mono, because that's what works for me. On my bluegill and crappie rods I had been using 3#, but this year am spooling on 2# on a few of my outfits. I still have a boat load of lead jigs and still use them.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 03:42 PM »
nothing except the jig changed when i switched, other than the strike indicator had to be adjustable, so i quit using a tie on style and went with the frabill titanium.
i use 2 pound or less and target the same as you. make sure to buy a sealed and floating jig box. you would hate loosing your investment down an ice hole.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:53 PM »
My dislike for pickerel increased since it costs more when they take off with your tungsten jig!!  But Pickled, I like em!

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Thanks guys! It looks like the most important thing is to get a good spring boober\bite indicator. I'll try one of the recommended ones and we'll see how it goes. There is no ice in western New York yet but it can't hurt to be ready!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Iceassin

And Ice Strong titanium indicators...a little pricey but the best for me. Extremely sensitive. I do modify them a bit.

Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2018, 12:39 PM »
Iceassin

And Ice Strong titanium indicators...a little pricey but the best for me. Extremely sensitive. I do modify them a bit.

Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Sure will. I bend the last 3/4" or so at a 90* angle and tie it on the end of the rod ( I used common sewing thread and sealed it with clear nail polish) at about the 10:00 o'clock position.  Then I bend the loop/eye of the indicator down. Much easier to see this way for me. And they do bend...I've done 6 of them . I use a set of hemos to hold them when I do it.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Let me know how it works for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.