Author Topic: Stocked walleye reproduction???  (Read 3286 times)

Offline FishTank

• IceShanty Rookie
Stocked walleye reproduction???
« on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:54 PM »
I recently started fishing a private impoundment where the cottagers assoc. has been stocking fingerling eyes for about 4 years. The residents there and a few others with whom I spoke are of the opinion that walleye stocked into a non-indigenous impoundment will not reproduce.

This is a spring fed glacial lake containing lily pads, weeds, and boulder fields. It would seem to me that so long as both sexes were stocked that there should be some reproduction attempt and at least some succesful reproduction.

Those of you familiar with walleye and stocking efforts, what is your take on this.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

8)
Luck is when persistance meets opportunity

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Stocked walleye reproduction???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Not a biologist or an expert. But walleye do need a combination of factors to spawn and reporduce successfully. Many waters are simply not suitable for repro and will never have it. Obviously gravel bottoms are the first key. But temp, O2, and water PH during spawn and hatch time are all important.

Becuase its an unatural impoundment has nothing to do with repro. Many eyes thrive in man-made impoundments. Heck, there are waters that stocked eyes can live and live well. But will not have any reproduction.

My home state has stocked hundreds of our waters with walleyes over the past 100+ years. Natural reproduction has only been found in three!! And only one has enough repro to offer a consistant fishery. We simply do not have the water chemisty to have repro. Now PA is allot different, and obviously has more walleye than we will ever have. But that dosn't mean any water with male and female eyes will have signifigant repro.

If you google "walleye reproduction" I am sure you can find some info on what factors are required for sucessful walleye spawn.

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Stocked walleye reproduction???
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:35 PM »
jf5 is right about the info. also there only a few strains of walleye that can reproduce in lakes majority require a river/stream for reproduction.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.