Author Topic: What is the best way to catch walleyes in winter?  (Read 5552 times)

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
What is the best way to catch walleyes in winter?
« on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:33 PM »
I am heading out in a few days and could really use some advice.....Ty guys.What colour head...Jigging or none jigging....any little tip would be appreciated...How deep the water should be.....
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
Re: What is the best way to catch walleyes in winter?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:20 PM »
I like tip ups myself, put a minnow on the hook and thats my formula.  I rarely jig but when i do i use my lowrance and try to put a jig with a minnow right in front of his face.
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:20 AM »
Put out the tip-ups just before dark in the shallows, then give it a few hours.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:28 AM »
I like to fish some sort of structure where I can drill a line or two of holes from 10ft down to 20-30 ft or more.  You can usually start to pick up afew in the deeper holes and as it gets closer to dark just keep moving shallower, following them in till dark.  For jigging theres lots of good info on what to use on other post in here.  I set out 1 tip-up and jig with my other line.  A flasher helps too.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:43 AM »
all the above are good tips...don't be afraid to fish very shallow water..i catch some pretty nice wallys in only 3ft of water on a delaware river cove ....they love to cruise the shallow areas late afternoon till dark...most of my hard water best wallys come late season when it starts to warm up..just before the season closes  (march 1st for delaware river ny/pa ) sometimes i think i'm just lucky with them cause i just go alot... ;) :tipup: :whistle: :tipup: ohh ya...i use tip ups baited with shiners...boring but effective... ;)good-luck....

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:06 PM »
When you jig for Walleyes with your pole, do you use a spring bobber? What do you use for a jig? I have a Northland Buckshot Spoon. It's a bit heavy for a spring bobber though.   
jbird68

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:16 PM »
I usually don't use a spring bobber because my setups are a bit heavy. Bring it with you anyways, ya never know!

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Went out this past weekend and got 3 walleyes but there were small...dam...thx guys!
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline fishskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007, 08:45 AM »
When I am targeting walters I typically use both tip-up and jig. I'll set my tip-ups much like everyone else.Various depths from 6 -10 ft of water but always set one of my tip-ups over 12-15 and put the bait down 1-1/2 ft under the ice.I use med/heave shiners or med suckers. For jigging I try to use natural colors and my fav is the #7 black over silver jigging rap it gives great action and covers alot of area under the ice. The chubby darter does real well as also. I try to set up about 1 hr before dark so I don't get to many garbage fish. And I'll stay out as late as early morning becuase the walters like to make runs were I set up about every couple hours.Good luck

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Another good way is through the ice

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2009, 11:37 PM »
If your jigging id say Start while its still dark and fish through till its light, and the other way around..  For tip ups Id have to agree with fishstalker, shallow running, set up just before dark.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2009, 07:28 AM »
I also don't like putting out my traps until its just about dark because i don't like wasting bait on perch. Just something to keep in mind, because you are fishing the same water column of those little pesky guys.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Each lake kind of has it's own rules and the fish do what they do,experiment til you figure it out. Shallow,med. and deep...dial it in accordingly,have different size bait set-ups til something starts working. Points,drop offs,midlake humps,channels etc. move and groove til it happens. Fish quality lakes that produce decent fish and have at it! Goodluck.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2009, 02:09 PM »
IMO midlake humps, saddles and sandbars are the only place to go, obv depending depth.  Seems to work everytime, as do all the above suggestions.  I prefer midlake for the bigger fish though.

doing a 30hr stint for them tonight, will report back  ;D

E

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.