Author Topic: Location question  (Read 1368 times)

Offline water_walker

• IceShanty Rookie
Location question
« on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Going to fish a lake with good walleye numbers. I have an idea of where I want to fish after reviewing a contour map of the lake. My questions are do I want to fish the the top or bottom of a drop off(steep drop from 15 FOW TO 35 FOW. Also there are a few 40-45' holes in 30 FOW. Would I be better off fishing inside the hole or closer to the edge. I know these May sound like dumb questions but I am new to walleye fishing and any help is appreciated.

Offline water_walker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Location question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Here's a link to the lake map. I have access to the south half. Let me here what ya guys think!

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Lake_of_the_Woods_Bathymetry_Marshall_County_July_2009.pdf

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I would start shallow and work deep. I don't like killing everything out of deep water. If you mark fish, fish. If nothing keep looking. Drop an aggressive presentation down the hole and see if anything shows up. Start seeing fish slow down.

Looking at the map the steep banks would be were I would look but if there some flat points close I would play there first. I don't see any obvious point on the map. What is the main forage? Assuming shad, the mouth of the bays may be good as well.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline water_walker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Soubds good thanks. Shad are the main forage as far as I know. One spot I was particularly interested in was on the bottom left/middle of the lake where the 15-20' area firms somewhat of a point then drops into deeper water.

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Lakes like that can sometimes be tricky.. I would think bottom content/structure will play more of a role than depth.. What I mean is find a weed line or transition from hard to soft bottom.. It's really hard to tell without knowing the lake just by the map but the bottom left side of the lake is where I would start looking in the 10-20 foot range.. I'm going to assume the water is of average clarity so I would plan on lowlight conditions.. One of the main problems some people have in targeting walleyes is assuming they will bite during the day..on average clarity to clear water, especially in the winter, you will never catch them even if it's overcast until the sun hits the trees.. Lots of variables to that but it's a good rule of thumb.. Especially if your just learning a lake, don't waste time and frustrate yourself, stick to the evening bite.
If that area doesn't pan out I would set up right on the break of 35-15 in about 25 feet.. Also if there is a shelf on top of the break that stays 15 feet deep or even goes to 5 feet you will find fish there

Offline water_walker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:00 AM »
Thanks for the info! I will definitely use your advice when we head out this weekend and let you know how we do

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.