Author Topic: First Ice Walleye  (Read 5324 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
First Ice Walleye
« on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:17 PM »
In my favorate lake the walleye are notoriously hard to catch in winter. In the spring summer and fall no prob. Where do you all like to set up for first ice walleye that develop serious lock jaw.
:unsure:

WW

camo_fish

Re: First Ice Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2005, 11:56 PM »
I would say if you have standing weeds in the winter, set-up just outside the weedline over a nice drop.
A good starting point.  ;D
That is were I got this one @ 10am.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2005, 05:55 AM »
As long as you know where they are just before ice up, they will "probably" remain there at first ice. If you're not able to keep track of them now, then I would start at the deeper side of the weed edge.
Pete Lewis

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2005, 12:48 AM »
The lakes around here with walleyes give you literally about an hour to catch em at the end or beginning of the day and that's it.  It's a really short window of opportunity and you have to be EXACTLY on the right spot to produce.  It's likely not that the walleyes don't bite it's that people are on the wrong spots or leave too early before they hit or get there too late. 
I agree. Here however, since our elevation is so high, we have only about a 30 min period since the sun is so bright. I like right off the first dropoff in a rocky area that will soon meet a muck bottom, 10-20 feet is prime. Right near bottom always. i've never seen a walleye suspend. Sadly I haven't been able to icefish for walleye in a few years but that is a different story. At least I still know how to! lol. Here's to hoping you'll catch more walleyes this winter than the zero I will catch. Good luck.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2005, 09:17 PM »
I agree. Here however, since our elevation is so high, we have only about a 30 min period since the sun is so bright. I like right off the first dropoff in a rocky area that will soon meet a muck bottom, 10-20 feet is prime. Right near bottom always. i've never seen a walleye suspend. Sadly I haven't been able to icefish for walleye in a few years but that is a different story. At least I still know how to! lol. Here's to hoping you'll catch more walleyes this winter than the zero I will catch. Good luck.

Well Starvation in Utah might be a new place for us but it would be a once a year deal.
Also I will see if Narraguinnep down by Dolores has good populations of walleyes and safe ice.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2005, 09:21 PM »
Walleyes will usually be found just past the first drop off. Probably almost 90% of the walleyes I catch through the ice are caught right after sunset or before sunup. My theory is during ice season that since their metabolisms are slowed, they become even more nocturnal than during open water, because they know panfish, which have poor eyesight, are more easily caught in low light conditions. Bluegills and perch generally are pretty inactive in low light conditions, and walleyes will be there to eat them.
Fish rocky reefs, points near the mouths of bays, and creek channels and fish near the first major dropoff. Best depths for me have been 10 - 30 feet.

trapperdirk

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2005, 03:12 AM »
Walleyes will usually be found just past the first drop off. Probably almost 90% of the walleyes I catch through the ice are caught right after sunset or before sunup. My theory is during ice season that since their metabolisms are slowed, they become even more nocturnal than during open water, because they know panfish, which have poor eyesight, are more easily caught in low light conditions. Bluegills and perch generally are pretty inactive in low light conditions, and walleyes will be there to eat them.
Fish rocky reefs, points near the mouths of bays, and creek channels and fish near the first major dropoff. Best depths for me have been 10 - 30 feet.

I don't get your point here Mackdaddy . All species metabolisms slow during winter and if anything the prey species who like the warmer waters would not be any faster and why would eyes become more nocturnal in winter than in summer because actually in winter there is snow cover and ice blocking light so if anything their oppurtunities to hunt increase using their advantage over prey in low light conditions than the other way around . There is also less places for prey to hide in winter because the weeds die off more because the light is less and not much photosynthesis can occur .

Have you ever caught a walleye or with any consistency fishing through the ice because by what your stating here you don't know even the basics of this species of fish .? ??? Not even the lack of pelagic baitfish in CO can make this theory of yours wash this time and I outright disagree with you .

TD

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2005, 08:32 PM »
I don't get your point here Mackdaddy . All species metabolisms slow during winter and if anything the prey species who like the warmer waters would not be any faster and why would eyes become more nocturnal in winter than in summer because actually in winter there is snow cover and ice blocking light so if anything their oppurtunities to hunt increase using their advantage over prey in low light conditions than the other way around . There is also less places for prey to hide in winter because the weeds die off more because the light is less and not much photosynthesis can occur .

Have you ever caught a walleye or with any consistency fishing through the ice because by what your stating here you don't know even the basics of this species of fish .? ??? Not even the lack of pelagic baitfish in CO can make this theory of yours wash this time and I outright disagree with you .

TD

I have caught tons of walleyes through the ice here in Colorado. Walleyes during winter are much more apt from my experiences to feed almost exclusively during twighllight periods because it is far easier for them to feed effectively in twillight due to the distinct visual advantages they have over their prey. I have caught a few walleyes during the day but it is very few and far between. Then come either twighllight period I will catch 7 or 8 within about 15 minutes. I have landed a 10 pounder and a 7 pounder in back to back drops before.

It's all right to disagree with me but please keep it a little more tactful. When fish have slower metabolisms they become more programmed to feed during the periods where they have to expend the least amount of energy and have the greatest chance of a sucessful hunt.
I also meant to say that Walleyes are even more apt to bite almost exclusively during twighllight periods than during open water and I guess I said nocturnal. Pardon me.

trapperdirk

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Mack I see you still haven't got the point and now are even arguing with yourself . Your post clearly states that walleye go more nocturnal in winter conditions than in summer . Nobodies arguing the fact that they like to feed in low light conditions and that certain times of the day are prime . But more nocturnal . ???

TD

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2005, 11:06 PM »
IDK everyday is diiferent for me some days i can catch them all day long others only for an hour or 2 other days till about 11 am in the summer i cant catch one during the day to save my life unless its raining cats n dogs
:)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline hole-driller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They say you can't fish , so you need to leave it
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2005, 07:11 AM »
??? maybe someone can tell me how to locate them when the lake is like  a bowl with a river in the middle, and long points that taper slow? this has a few humps and roads but not many.any help withoutgetting bitter at me? ;D ;D ;D ;D
They say you can't fish , so you need to leave it
 to me.   vern

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Hole-Driller

When fishing bowl shaped lakes with little or no structure, look for weed lines!Also(with help from your flasher)search for transition spots that key out from most points, they should be stacked there ;)

Andrew
Andrew

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2006, 12:40 PM »
What about lakes with too much structure?  I find in certain lakes the Walleye too spread out.
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline Walleyeslayer25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2006, 10:22 PM »
hey camo where did you catch that because it looks like a sauger or saugeye instead of a walleye

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2006, 12:29 AM »
its a walleye - look at the white tip on the fin

walleyechaser

« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2006, 08:14 AM »
I'll just go ahead and throw in my 2 cents.
In my area the best time to catch good sized walleye is after dark.  I mean late.  Sometimes we don't even catch them until midnight.  Open water or through the ice.  All of my biggest ones have come after dark. 
There have been a handful of times where we had good success during the day.  We may catch a few during the day but by far night time has produced more and larger fish.  I don't know if its the commotion is gone and things have settled down or if thats just when they turn on. 
One thing you have to remember at night is BE QUIET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.