Author Topic: Floatation Suits  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Floatation Suits
« on: Jan 01, 2007, 12:24 PM »
This has been discussed in older topics but with new suits things change. I would like to get a float suit for ice/ winter fishing. The reason I include winter is because I am doing a Niagra River Steelhead trip.
Anyway I saw a few Sundridge suits that have been talked about. I saw two on Ebay. One was an En tec and the other was a SAS 2. With the En tec being $50 more I would like to know what the differences are. Does anyone know anything about these? Is there another brand that would be better?

Thanks
Hardguy

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
Re: Floatation Suits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2007, 02:33 PM »
ive heard of them i want one but idk where to get them
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:29 PM »
they ain't cheap, but if you can swing it check out Mustang. thats what the Coast Guard uses. you can't beat them. ;D ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:05 PM »
In my opinion, you can't really rely on what some government contractor has with a certain customer.  The Coast Guard probably has a contract with Mustang.  The company who fabricates Mustang is also on the security advisery board.  Government contracts also mean that a company has to have a certain volume of units.  No doubt that Mustang makes a good suit but I'm sure that there are better ones out there and, who knows, maybe the Coast Guard will buy from another company.  If that's the case, all the suits already in service will have to be replaced.  Will this added expense overwrite the expected budget allocation?

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:19 PM »
just google flotation suits ;D

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:33 PM »
I own a sundrige sas 2 i am very happy i bought it its a two piece i got it from ebay for 160 bucks i am 6'1" 215 pounds and i bought an extra large it got here in 5 days for the uk.
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:37 AM »
In my opinion, you can't really rely on what some government contractor has with a certain customer.  The Coast Guard probably has a contract with Mustang.  The company who fabricates Mustang is also on the security advisery board.  Government contracts also mean that a company has to have a certain volume of units.  No doubt that Mustang makes a good suit but I'm sure that there are better ones out there and, who knows, maybe the Coast Guard will buy from another company.  If that's the case, all the suits already in service will have to be replaced.  Will this added expense overwrite the expected budget allocation?
regardless of what you might think about the government, and god knows i'm no fan, they've been using them for years. i doubt they would be using them that long if they weren't good. plus a lot of commercial fishermen in harsh climates also use them. I have one and they're top notch. government doesn't always buy the cheapest stuff.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Slightly off topic from the original question, I have a Nautilus Pro Series one piece suit and love it.  My wife bought it for me as a Christmas gift a year ago - she told me after that the salesman had spent a fair amount of time with her going over the features of the various suits.  Pretty much all the manufacturers have a variety of suits...depends on budget, needs, and wants (just like GM - a Chev and a Cadillac both meet the same basic transportation need, but the Caddy will have additional features...some useful, some perhaps less so that make it more costly).

Now, at least in Canada, there are flotation suits that are not recognized as PFDs due to colour.  You may want to be cautious of that if you want to use it spring / fall in a boat.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:34 PM »
Hardguy ,
did you decide on a suit?I'm heading to the niagra river in the morning i'm usually ice fishing so i dont go this early but it will be nice to get some steelhead this early.
Well i think you will be very happy with a float suit and good luck this season.
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:59 PM »
I have a full body mustang suit, and am confident enough to go out on 3" of ice in -20F windy as f**k weather.  There's no wind you feel in that thing.  I can honestly say I've never been cold in it - the bonus is you float, it has an inflatable head/neck brace to keep your face out of the water if you fall through (if you inflate it manually prior to bonking your head on the ice), and I don't think I've ever worn more than street clothes when I'm in it.  Would not recommend it in spring (probably when it's most functionally valuable :) as you'll sweat your nads off. Opening up the proverbial can of worms here, but I'd be confident enough in the suit to go commando when the air temp's over 25F.  My 2 cents, but worth the $$$.  The most important thing is that you find the size that fits you just right - excess is bulky and opens you up to water leakage.

-bigfish_1556
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Thanks Hunter. I did not make a move yet. I do have to get a shake on as my trip is in 2 weeks. I am between the Baltic one piece and the Sundridge 2 piece. I was always a one piece kind of guy but with out seeing these in person it is hard. The two piece would be nice if it gets warmer but the one piece stops that wind from coming up your back. I guess you are better off getting something on the lighter side as you can always add layers. I read that certain suits were not Coast gaurd approved because of the color. I guess that would only matter if you are in an area that requires life vests etc. Ever hear of this?

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:56 AM »
I have a full body mustang suit, and am confident enough to go out on 3" of ice in -20F windy as f**k weather.  There's no wind you feel in that thing.  I can honestly say I've never been cold in it - the bonus is you float, it has an inflatable head/neck brace to keep your face out of the water if you fall through (if you inflate it manually prior to bonking your head on the ice), and I don't think I've ever worn more than street clothes when I'm in it.  Would not recommend it in spring (probably when it's most functionally valuable :) as you'll sweat your nads off. Opening up the proverbial can of worms here, but I'd be confident enough in the suit to go commando when the air temp's over 25F.  My 2 cents, but worth the $$$.  The most important thing is that you find the size that fits you just right - excess is bulky and opens you up to water leakage.

-bigfish_1556
Hey Bigfish, What model Mustang suit do you have ?

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:04 AM »
I read that certain suits were not Coast gaurd approved because of the color. I guess that would only matter if you are in an area that requires life vests etc. Ever hear of this?

As I stated above, yes.  In Canada, PFDs are required to be on board a boat for the number of occupants.  In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to have a floater suit, then still need to carry a PFD somewhere in the boat taking up space...I'd rather the floater suit count as a PFD.

Of course, I am not at all knowledgable about American regulations.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:53 PM »
The one I have I believe is the Mustang Survival Coverall (MS2075), it's a few years older than their current models, but pretty much still the same thing.  They have all sorts of goodies at mustangsurvival.com. Granted, I obtained mine through work so the $$$ didn't hit me personally.......this stuff can get fairly costly, but then again, it could save your life, too.

Offline dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2007, 03:15 PM »
 I have the IDI Artic Armour suit. NOT COAST GUARD APPROVED but according to there ads will float a 285# man. Broke it in at the Niagara last Sat the fishing was excellent FISH307 HAS THEM FOR SALE AND IN STOCK NOW Price for topand bottom comes to about 300bucks. Here is a pic from sat trip

Used the suit also New Years Day on first ice.
If Fishin were easy they would call it Catchin

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Just so you know ----  Bass Pro offers afloatation suit called "Browning Fishin Float Suit" that they say was made in cooperation with Mustang (the Bass Pro description of the suit is exactly the same as the description on Mustang's web site, so I guess it's the same suit).  The Bass Pro version costs $250, while Mustang's original suit costs $350.  The Browning suit is available only in Brown, while the Mustang is avail. in various colors  ( I like the Orange w/Black).

I figure my life is worth at least $350 so I'm 'getting the Mustang!!!

IceBalls

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Nice post Dawg. It looks like these suits are no bulkier than a hunting coat.

Offline drillin n chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:38 PM »
I got a Mustang 2 weeks ago and wore it last week. Best investment i ever made. I put off buying one because i thought they would'nt be warm.Wrong!!!!!!!!!!! It is awsome.My friend bought the one from Bass Pro the Browning.For one thing it is black and i thought ,if i go through the ice i want to be seen plus they are not CCA(Canadian Coastgaurd Approved).

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:36 PM »
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but how exactly do you size it up to fit properly??? If my waist is say 33" and inseam 31" and chest 42" what size would you order??? Medium, Large, Ex-Large??? I wear large t-shirts that fit a little loose. No Bass Pro shops around here so would have to order online. Want to do right the first time. Thanks for any help.
      Kim ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:04 PM »
I just ordered the Mustang 2175. I always liked one piece for warmth. I hope it fits right. I got the Bk/or. I think I made the right choice.

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:26 PM »
I'd recommend with the Mustangs going one size larger than you think you need......gives you room for extra layers (although in most conditions you won't need it, like 5 degrees or above), and gives you extra movement/flexibility.  Worried about a tight fit in case you fall through - still go big, you can tighten the ankle, wrist, thigh and waist straps to minimize water infiltration.......

I've said it before elsewhere, these buggers are worth their weight in gold. No wonder the coast guard uses them......in Alaska :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.