Author Topic: Tip up vs Deadstick  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Arcom

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up vs Deadstick
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Well guys ive recently started to change over from a tip up to deadsticking. I like that i can bring in fish with the rod, it seems a little easier to get a hook set, i dont have to worry about not noticing the flag, and i dont have to worry about the hole freezing up. Now normally i target walleye and have good luck with deadsticking but how do you guys do for pike with a dead stick? i like to use a raddler bait when its slow and try to bring them in, and on occasion they will hit the deadstick after investigating the rattle. i like tip ups in that you can cover more water but im curious to hear some of your guys opinions?
 :tipup:

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Tip up vs Deadstick
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:44 PM »
I guess as close as I come to dead sticking pike is to put a smelt (dead) on my tip up. 

WS

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:12 PM »
I actually prefer dead sticking to tip-ups. I like the feel of the fish on the rod and I feel I have a bit more control of the fish when they run, but that's just me. ;)

I use rod holders and place my deadstick rods in the same manner that I would a tip-up.
For pike I also use similar lures on the end as I would a tip-up a good old smelt or similar bait on a quick strike or new loop rig.
A jig and minnow or jig and scented soft plastic will work as well. :)

Don't overlook circle hooks with your bait or lures either. They are great at hooking the fish on their own, you the just walk over and start reeling in no need to set the hook.

WW

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:01 PM »
I've used both, but for now I'm mainly tip ups. The main advantage I see to a rod is the control you have over a fish. A rod is like a spring, and it absorbs movements that could be a spit hook when hand lining. The draw backs for me are you cant really cover water, and also, it can be hard to set the hook. With a smaller hook it should be find, but the rod absorbs the set, and I've found it near impossible to rip a big hook out of a bait meaning missed fish. I've gone to setting the hook by hand and then grabbing the rod. I think by using one method or the other, you get the "feel" and loose less fish. I know that the first open water and first ice fishing trip I'll lose lots of fish because I am not used to the line or rod yet. For me, covering lots of water is important. I like to set baits 30-50 yards apart.
-Tom

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I totally disagree with the last post. First off because the rod has flex you have less chance of having slack line than you do working hand over hand. I have seen more lost fish by people not being able to keep constant pressure on the line after a run or when they run at the hole.
As far as hookset goes we use octopus hooks and all you have to do is lift the rod and start reeling and 99% of the time that hook is right in the corner of the mouth.
I would also like to know how deadsticking keeps you from covering more water. I can pick up to move in less time and with less effort with my set up now than I ever did with conventional tip ups (and keep my gloves on if I want).

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:30 PM »
I prefer rods, although use both. Don't understand about not being able to cover water as well with a rod. I find no problem hook-setting with a heavy rod and line. I use 30# Sufix 832 with wire leaders. Experience and likes differ and you'll find what you like best. I usually use simple rod holders that flip over when the pike hits and leave the rod butt sticking up for visibility. You can attach a flag to it. Sometimes I'll go with a tip-down (numerous good designs on here). A smelt is almost always successful and cheap.  I've had good success with a green Slater jig (2 hooks + bait hook) with plastic twin tail (green) and a piece of minnow on the bait holder hook. Good for burbot, also. Pike seem to like a little motion whether using rods or tip-ups, so something to blow the line around  a bit seems to attract.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:08 PM »
What you guys describe is a tipup. Arctic fishermans and the such that use rods are tip ups. A dead stick is right by you, and without making it a tip up, you cant use it when its 50 yards away. One of the reasons I don't use them is because I don't have the rods. I have one I use for jigging for pike, and its a medium heavy. Its amazing with a spoon or chubby darter, but a bait and hook... not so much. The first fish that hit , I set as hard as I could, and I reeled in my bait, the hook wasn't even close to coming out. This was a big sucker and a 6/0 hook however. Since then, I just set by hand, and pick up the rod. I decided it was not worth it when I was doing fine hand lining. I've fished with people that like them, and mostly I see heavy duty jig sticks. They are basically sticks, and they end up hand lining like any tip up. Unless you use small bait, or spend some time perfecting it, you are limited. I will say I've had luck with tip up that held my rod, and circle hooks.
-Tom

Offline Arcom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:51 AM »
what i did mean in the question was yes, a rod right beside you. I also think its easier to intrigue a pike with a little bit of noise,
that being said theres nothing more enjoyable than pullin in than a big ol pike with your hands!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Tip  up guy for many many years

I use a dead stick when I jig while I have other tip ups out.

I like the dead stick because it is very near to me wherever I jig. I just grab the rod holder and move. I have caught quite a few fish on a dead stick shiner while I am jigging 3 feet away from it.

If the dead stick is a little farther away from me, I attach a bell and loosen the drag on the reel.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.