Author Topic: Flourocarbon  (Read 11813 times)

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
Re: Flourocarbon
« Reply #60 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:32 PM »
I sure hope your not paying top dollar for line color and stuff like that for pike. Pike are what I call trash fish, you could use a dog leash as a leader and still get hits.

Pike trash fish ?!  Surely you jest.

Seriously.  Pike are the perfect fish! Where to start...

Aggressive, beautiful, tasty (better tasting than walleye for one ).

Exciting day of fishing...great fight, pictures that rock and nice white thick, huge fillets. 

Pike are second to none! Whats more to want?

And they are not ALWAYS easy to catch, but hell, if they are that easy to catch, even better, that makes the perfect fish even more perfect!  Who the heck wants to go fishing all day and catch nothing?! 

PS. I won't leave home without a fluro leader-for all species!  I out fish my partners regularly with with fluro. (It has to be the fluro because it ain't me!) 

FT
><(((((((((( {•<  .. .  ..... . ><(((•>

Offline stickandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 22, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Gosh that's wayyy too much. As said 12"-18" is perfect.

So you do 12-18 inches directly to the tip-up line? 

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #62 on: Feb 22, 2013, 04:01 PM »

I fish a lot of the same fisheries as you stickandstring and I usually use 4' of 15 lbs flouro tied to a barrel swivel then to the tip up line and it has worked well for me.  I have caught 20+ lbs pike on it and have had no problems.  Fished Fort Peck a couple of weeks ago and out of 30+ flags only had one break off and it was do to the line being caught up on the spool of the tip up so there was no line for the fish to take.  I know there are a lot of guys talking about all these break offs but I haven't experienced it, not saying it doesn't happen.  I will usually switch my leader down to 8 lbs flouro as darkness approaches to target the walleye and have actually caught a few decent sized pike on it with out any problems.  You may not be able to wuff the fish in using flouro and might have to actually fight them a bit but to me that's most of the fun anyways!   ;D

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #63 on: Feb 22, 2013, 05:23 PM »

Yes line to a ball bearing swivel ( always smooth) then 12" of fluro.  Same for musky on summer.  Works slick. FT
><(((((((((( {•<  .. .  ..... . ><(((•>

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Mar 06, 2013, 05:08 AM »
I use Seagur 40# Flouro for pike and I like it, Although I don't notice much difference between that and berkley big game mono.  One thing I don't do is tie the stuff.  Im all about presentation and a knot with 40# is too sloppy IMO.  I use Malin single barrel sleeves for  and crimp them.  Never had a problem.  I use Size 6-8 trebles and the walleye still hit the 4-8 inch bait as well, so do the trout and any other fish worthy of my baits.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #65 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:52 PM »
 I use 20 pound Berkley Pro grade fluoro.

Offline officercalcjc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 01, 2013, 05:19 PM »
I am a fluoro guy all the way. I catch pike from 30" - 36" almost every trip and sometimes bigger. Pike can bite fluoro off, I have had it happen. That being said, it's RARE. I have ONE bite off in the last three years. Fluoro definitely gets more strikes in clear water. I use #20 P - Line fluoro LEADER material. In murky or heavily stained water, go with thin Cortland toothy critter wire.  Don't have to worry about bite offs at all then, but it will reduce strikes unless the visibility of the water is low.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.