Author Topic: Flourocarbon  (Read 11825 times)

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flourocarbon
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:13 PM »
hey guys ,
thinking of switching to flouro , seems thats what everyone is using and havent had much luck with steel lately ...
i m somewhat new to pike fishing and started with heavy mono (was told it would work) , then i had a few break-offs and so switched to steel...it seems i m getting less action (although not positive , action is slow at best anyway) , so thinking about flouro...thoughts and opinions ?
whats the good stuff ?
what should i be looking for in line ?
what depths are people having luck at ?
any help would be greatly appreciated !
Have fish for trout all my life and now have decided to make the switch , so i m not completely green to fishing  ;)
thanks !

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flourocarbon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:13 PM »
fish florocarbon all the time and it has upped the # of bites i get in a day.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Floro will def increase your flags, use at least 30lb seaguar is the best I have used without any breakoffs
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Just bought some 50lb Trilene big game 100% flourocarbon, and tyin up some rigs right now.

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline m_t_u

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:59 PM »
I personally would not use Fleuro for a pike leader; I've seen too many bite-offs on it. If you want flexibility use titanium leaders or make your own rig with titanium wire. It doesn't kink or take a set like conventional nylon coated steel does, and lasts a long time ... so long, in fact, that you have to watch the terminal tackle because it wears out, and will break, before the line does.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:05 AM »
definitely recommend fluro for a leader, make sure you get the leader material and not the regular line (less memory and tougher)... i use seaguar blue 40lb fluro leader material and am loving it

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:14 PM »

Heres 1 of 5 I made

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Had a big fish splice my flouro before
lakertaker

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:02 PM »
i use striper 3/0 flouro leader....it's got some length which is good, and all you have to do is loop it through itself after you thread it through your barrell swivel. easy change over if you don't have a seperate set of tackle for each species.

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2012, 08:34 PM »
I am using 60 lb fluro. Tough stuff. Ft
><(((((((((( {•<  .. .  ..... . ><(((•>

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2012, 04:43 AM »
Who are these people that claim bite offs with Floro? I have used the Floro leaders for years musky fishing and always use at least a 6 foot piece for a leader on tip ups. I have never lost a fish due to using it. I would even go further and say that if I did lose one or two big deal. With the increas in my catches since using it I would never change.

WS

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Well I'm one of those guys that witnessed two nice pike lost last season using fluorocarbon. I'll stick with steel or titanium. I haven't noticed any less strikes. The freshness of the bait seems to
be more important as far as strikes go.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Plastic.........I've experimented over the years and usually been disappointed. Been cut off on 25# fluoro and barely felt the fish. Had 35# superline sliced and diced 12 ways from Sunday. I keep going back to my uncoated steel stranded. Cheap, easy to work with and cut proof. Let's be clear: pike, though large, generally don't "break off", they cut off. Very different. The additional pound test for fluoro and heavy mono are not to keep from breaking but to provide insurance of some strength having been nicked or cut part way. Yes, that will happen.

That said one of my regular fishing buddies has very good luck with 50# fluoro. I've seen it enough to be intrigued though I've never been significantly outfished by it. I would consider the 50# a bare minimum.

I picked up some 60# Ande this year and will be giving it a test run. My initial reaction to the product is how stiffly it fishes compared to the 20# wire I usually use. There may also be a weight consideration, especially if you choose to crimp rather than tie. I also balk at the price of the stuff, again I often fish right beside it and other than the "novelty" I just don't see that the cost is justified by a commensurate increase in success. I know there are many of you that feel that way and I'm not trying to stir the pot.......

Just my opinions based on my experiences. User mileage may vary...............

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I have tied up some flouo leaders, and some steel( Berkley). We go out on tipup trips. There may be 4-7 of us. At 3 tipups each, that makes for a lot of potential flags,so we have all agreed to do them 50/50 , fl & steel,, every other tipup, to see if we definetly see a difference. One of the guys use fl., and circle hooks, and has a good catch ratio. He checks the leaders every fish, says that is key. I have never witnessed a cut off yet. Also, in my search for higher lb of flouro you guys are finding, I can only find up to 20lb. Bass pro, Gander, tackle shops. Where are you guys finding this lg. # of flouro? I have never seen 30, much less 50 or up. and the frind who has been using flouro, only uses 20 also.

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:16 AM »
You will most likely find the heavier fluro in the salt water section or just order it online

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:50 AM »
http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Seaguar-Fluorocarbon-Leader-Line-303p24936.htm

If you look in the Minnesota section above you will see that Thorne Brothers is a new sponser. I always use the heavier Fluorocarbon for my leader material. Maybe that is why so many have bite offs.

WS

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Whopper Stopper, wondering what strength range of fluoro you're using?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:32 PM »
60-80#.

I also use Big Tooth Tackle quick strike rigs if the water is stained and circle hooks if clear.

WS

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:32 PM »
I usually stick with 40. Your risk of getting bit off is not much different since the line is pretty hard and sometimes pike can be a little line-shy so  lighter the line usually equals more flags.

Offline TheDude28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:21 AM »
I fish both...definitely see more smaller strikes on flouro but the big boys don't seem to care as much

Offline pierce1308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:53 PM »
I go with  20# fluro even thought only have been broken off twice, sometimes i up grade to a maximum of  30# fluro if im fishing a derby.

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:11 PM »
I use 80lb Seagaur for trolling muskies in the open water season. I use 40lb fluoro for leaders fly fishing for pike and have caught tons with no cut offs (many with the fly right down their throats so you couldn't see it). I also use 40lb as my material for spinner rigs - again no cut offs. I use the 40lb so as to maximize catch rate for walleyes - if I was only concerned about pike/muskies, I'd use 65 or 80lb all the time.

With Flouro there is a HUGE difference in brands. Also make sure you are using fluoro leader and not fluoro mainline as someone mentioned above.  Stuff like Vanish is garbage. I like Seaugaur. About 80% of all fluoro brands (the real 100% fluoro leader material) are made in the Seagaur factory and relabled....The best stuff is more expensive...

Another good brand is Maxima.

Fluoro will always catch more fish than steel however, and though I have caught a lot of pike with no bite offs, if I was concerned about never, ever losing a fish to a bite off, and didn't mind not catching as many, then steel would be the choice.

Moonman.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:49 AM »
There is no difference. Ive  been using a mixture of hand made leaders some with 50# Seagaurd leader material and some with 50# steel leaders i bought from a local shop. 3 years and  I see no difference between steel and floro. Now add some beads, blades  or bucktail and you'll see an increase in your flags on steel or floro

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2013, 12:15 AM »
There is no difference. Ive  been using a mixture of hand made leaders some with 50# Seagaurd leader material and some with 50# steel leaders i bought from a local shop. 3 years and  I see no difference between steel and floro. Now add some beads, blades  or bucktail and you'll see an increase in your flags on steel or floro

100%
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline redneckrance

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Damn the Man
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:29 PM »
I have had no break offs with 25lb. P line. I have been experimenting with 20lb. and am liking it, its easier to work with. But like what somebody already said above, check your leader after every fish. Even steel leaders with a kink will break off. Fluorocarbon leader is the only way to go, its upped my catch rates dramatically!!!!!!!!

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:01 PM »
oh please do u people really think pike are leader shy? steel leaders all the way

Offline Lucius33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Hi there.  I started using flouro this season with great results so far. 
I think brand is a matter of preference but like many things... You get what
You pay for to some extent.  Knock wood, no failures with 30 pound.  I also like
That you can vary the color based on water clarity.  I use smoke colored line for
Stained and merkey water, and clear for water with less coloration. Only complaint is
Line memory.  Good fishing!

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:40 PM »
oh please do u people really think pike are leader shy? steel leaders all the way

Fish some lakes that are heavily pressured...you'll come to the dark side! lol

dbd   :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Hi there.  I started using flouro this season with great results so far. 
I think brand is a matter of preference but like many things... You get what
You pay for to some extent.  Knock wood, no failures with 30 pound.  I also like
That you can vary the color based on water clarity.  I use smoke colored line for
Stained and merkey water, and clear for water with less coloration. Only complaint is
Line memory.  Good fishing!

I sure hope your not paying top dollar for line color and stuff like that for pike. Pike are what I call trash fish, you could use a dog leash as a leader and still get hits.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:05 PM »
I sure hope your not paying top dollar for line color and stuff like that for pike. Pike are what I call trash fish, you could use a dog leash as a leader and still get hits.

Well stay off the Northern Pike board. I for one love fishing Pike. Nothing beats fighting  a 20 lber and seeing it flash at the hole. My biggest was caught on a steel leader with beads and red and white willow blade 12" above the bait.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.