Author Topic: stupid question  (Read 878 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
stupid question
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:47 AM »
I live in eastern MA. we got no safe ice around me without going an hr north or 1 1/2 hr west. Well, it's SUPPOSED to get cold and hopefully make enough ice so we can get out. For those ponds that are just making ice, would one use early ice tactics or mid-season tactics? some ponds have had 2-3 inches for a couple weeks now. So, what tactics would you use on those waters?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: stupid A$$ed question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:52 AM »
My money would be early/first ice locations...flats ...basin adjadcent  ..weeds are still green water temperatures are stable and plenty of oxygen as well as forage ..but always have a back up plan ..as some fish will always be in the basin but most will more then likely will be on the first ice haunts .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:54 PM »
Don't forget the spud bar.
<===Lefty===

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Agree with Hardwater.  As long as you have green weeds - I would think they would still be there.  If you have snow cover and the weeds are dying off, then I would look to the basin. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:34 PM »
“First ice” and “last ice” are just terms that “usually” coincide with the calendar. Don’t fish the calendar, fish the weather conditions.

If your lakes are just starting to form safe ice in mid January, that’s your first ice. If it all melts in 2 weeks, that’s your last ice. If it refreezes into fishable ice again, you get another first ice. Fish use the weather as a trigger to know when and where to go in any given body of water. Including spawning. Of course, every body of water is different and lake composition/weeds have a lot to do with it too.

Just like when trees start budding in February because it’s 65 degrees, fish follow the same trends.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.