Author Topic: Not much to report on ice conditions with the weather....  (Read 680 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Nobody has posted for over 2 weeks.  Not surprising, with the lack of safe ice most everywhere in the west end of the U.P.  We've had some cold nights that I'm sure has thickened the ice on inland lakes.  Anyone having any success and can report on ice conditions?  I have a small lake in Houghton County that I've been fishing and the ice has gone from 2 inches to almost 6 inches over the last week with the cold nights.  Catching some nice bluegills and a few jumbo perch.  Just curious how others are doing.  Not looking for your favorite fishing spot to poach, just curious.  It's been a weird winter for winter sports of all kinds.

Offline Seafus

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Not much to report on ice conditions with the weather....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2024, 08:34 AM »
About 8" on central UP lakes. 4-5" of good ice with 4" of not so much on top. Agree, Gill action has been pretty good lately.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Not much to report on ice conditions with the weather....
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2024, 08:25 AM »
I saw on TV6 news where a 15 year old went through Indian lake over by manistique. He did not make it. Sounds like him and a friend went through on snow machine. Friend made it.  So sad when a young person passes. Please take a minute and say a prayer for his family. Ice around here is really crappy. I am done till boat comes out. Please be careful if you venture out. Always have next winter, hopefully.  Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.