Author Topic: Winter king fishing???  (Read 960 times)

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
Winter king fishing???
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:55 PM »
I know it's not tecnically "ice fishing"  but has anyone had any luck with the winter king fishing it homer.   I'd like to give it a try this year since I'm leavin to Hawaii and will miss the summer king fishing. 
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Winter king fishing???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:26 AM »
I sure would like to try it out!  New downriggers on the boat and hardly any salt on em.  I will be fishing the May timeframe around Valdez for some kings.  Little birdies say it's an untapped fishery. ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Tinman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2008, 11:06 PM »
You troll them just like you would during the summer. The fish are smaller of course, a 25 pounder is usually a money fish in the 1 day Derby they have in Homer around St. Patty day usually.

We fish the bluffs north of the spit and continue north both above and below the 1 fish, 2 fish limit line. Bring lots of warm clothes even if you're on a ig charter boat because the strike comes fst and they'll spit the hook if you're not right there attending your gear.

If you're out in a smaller boat like the 18'-24' river boat crowd pay plenty of attention to the weather, if it's coming down the inlet your better off staying in the harbor. Icy decks, frozen fingers, iced up gear, it's all lots of fun. The best fishing happens well before the derby though. Late January and all through Febuary are better fishing than March but they'd never get enough people willing to spend a day on the water if they held the derby in late January.

I like using the same large "tee spoon" spinners that the commerical troll fishermen use. Regular squid hoochies and flashers work well. find yourself 60'-100' feet of water off the beach and troll different depths until you find some fish, I stick to about 35' depth until somebody catches one really deep or real shallow then adjust.

Good luck, it's an expensive way to get kings. hundres of dollars per pound of fish caught.

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:19 PM »
That sounds pretty hardcore.  I still want to do it though.  If anyone has a boat and wants to go I will split the gas and bring my own gear????
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:16 PM »
[IMG]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/icepike26/Picture001.jpg[/IMG
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER