Author Topic: how did everybody do this weekend  (Read 2667 times)

Offline summitx

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
how did everybody do this weekend
« on: Jan 26, 2004, 01:24 PM »
went out on Sat. caught 9 northerns none very big, and we also lost about 8 more that we should have had. they seemed like they were not hitting the bait real hard, any tips

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re:how did everybody do this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:04 PM »
Had an emergency car repair come up.  Now I'm only dreaming of next weekend.  You gotta send some warmth up here Summitx!  
Did your fish have pink gums?  How much ice on the lake?  Could have been pink gummed or the lakes Oxygen level may have dropped.  Happens up here on the smaller lakes right after the New Years with Pike.  Great fishing up till then, slows down for a month or so, then picks up.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:18 PM »
Had a nice family outing this weekend with the wife, son, mother-in-law and brother.  Fished a couple hours and got 18 trout.  Largest was probably 9 or 10 lbs and smallest less than 1/2 a pound.  Lots of fisherman/woman out this weekend, even a blazer on the lake.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:29 PM »
Took the kids out on Saturday.  Drilled three holes.  The wind was just a-whippin' and could not get the shanty up.  Didn't even wet a line.  Kids wanted to go home.  At least we tried.  

Hey Summitx, I saw you were from Anchortown.  Where did you catch the pike (I know, it the mouth...)?  I am going to try Horseshoe (near Pt Mckenzie) this weekend if the weather is not too bad.

Icy Mike

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2004, 09:01 PM »
Fished Birch Lake on Saturday, must have been -30°F out there. Couldn't get the shack to warm up. My beer was turning to slush 3' feet off the floor. Caught 4 small silvers before I retreated to the cabin to a warm wife, fireplace, and beer you didn't have to squeeze from the can. On call next weekend, not to mention SB XXXVIII.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:49 PM »
Kevin stop drinkin' light beer!  You know that stuff freezes too fast.  ;D  SOunds like it was pretty tough this weekend.   Hope to get out Sat. if the weather is cooperative.  Please Please Please weather gods cooperate! :P
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:19 PM »
hey guys  thats not bad. had prior arrangements to take out a corporate acquaintance wednesday morning. got up to -40 and moderate wind from the north. i've fished colder but said what the heck. should have known what kind of day it was going to be, when the diesel wouldn't start. got out to the lake and augered some old holes until we needed the chisel. my friend who hasn't done too much winter fishing offered to help. i said, make sure you have a good hold of the spud, and keep the rope loop over your arm. guess what after two jabs.--its now an anchor.. to make an already story short, we caught/released 17 northerns in 3 1/2 hours, and kept the shanty at a moderate 88 degrees. what the heck are you using to heat with, if the beer freezes??? is it really beer or that .05 stuff??  ;D ;D  grumpymoe

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2004, 04:31 PM »
oh yeah, lost a nice spoon on 20 pound test.  had a large jerk then the line snapped.  i'll be back out this weekend, must've been a monster!

Offline summitx

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: how did everybody do this weekend
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2004, 10:31 AM »
Icy mike, we were up at Amber lake, had a friend that went to Trapper lake and they did pretty good there, might have to try it there, only get a week off this time. Barleydog, I will have to check next time if they have pink gums, if they do, what does that mean , their not brushing their teeth enough

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.