Author Topic: Big Delta  (Read 2506 times)

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Big Delta
« on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:32 AM »
Many years ago, when I was a callow, unknowing youth,(cheechako) I was a guest of Uncle Sam at Fort Greeley. Did go fishing in a small lake not too far north of there that we had to hike into. We literally did catch fish until our arms got tired. Only kept what we could eat right away. Who wants to keep a bunch of beautiful fish for the Mess SGT. to screw up? Never forgot that trip or Alaska! Are their any members here from Alaska that are familiar with that area? Can't remember for sure but I think Fort Greeley is about 15 miles south of Delta Junction. I'm just curious to know if there are any ice fishing opportunities down in that area. Yes, I remember only too well how cold it gets there. The coldest I remember was a day it got down to -75 F. Now if you tell me about great ice fishing there, I'll have one more reason to wish I was back there. It's been 40+ years since I was there and I've never gotten over wanting badly to go back. What a great state you guy's are fortunate to live in. Treat it well and treat it kindly and don't let the "ice worms" get ya!!!!!!!!  ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re:Big Delta
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2004, 03:27 PM »
DB2,  You may have fished a lake like Blueberry or mayde Coalmine lake?  I fished them last summer for grayling and ended up catching quite a few rainbows.  Both lakes are a short hike off the main access roads via the range road.  We did see some Caribou that had calved several youngens.  Neat area, that probably has remained the same since you were here 40 years ago.  Did you fish the Delta river?  Another great fishery in that area. :)  - Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:37 AM »
Barleydog-Thanks very much for your quick and informative response. No, I never did fish the Delta River. What kind of fish can you catch there and how did you fish for them? You have to remember that when I was up there, I was only 19 years old, and dumber than a stick. Like most 19 year olds, I only had one thing on my mind and it wasn't fish. That was only number 2 then. Now that I'm a lot older, and presumably wiser, I finally have my priorities in order. I can't remember where North Pole is located. Are you a long ways from Delta Junction? What do you do up there besides have a lot of fun catching grayling and rainbows? I want so badly to get back up there so don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep with my fishing gear over my shoulder.   May the next fish you catch be HUGE!!!!!!!! DIRTBALL2 Official ROF (Retired Old Fart) ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 04:04 PM »
DB2,
One of the best lakes in the Delta area is Quartz Lake located about 12 miles north of Delta Junction. Not sure when the state put the road in and started stocking the lake, but the military pipeline pump station was located at the beginning of the road. I've heard stories about an old homestead that the GI's would party at on Lost Lake just over the hill from Quartz. Most of the lakes in the area are now stocked by the state with rainbows, silver salmon, and arctic char.

Offline broomballboy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:56 PM »
Don't forget monster pike in George and Healy lakes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.