Author Topic: Best Pick for a Snow Machine  (Read 15793 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Best Pick for a Snow Machine
« on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:29 PM »
I was wondering what snowmobile you guys in the true north rely on? I really don’t have a lot of experience with them but if I want to expand my horizons, I figure someday I will need one.

I have heard talk about the Ski Doo Skandic being a good choice for the heavy snows that accompany things like chasing trout, venturing into back woods lakes, and an occasional trap line.

If fishing and survival are top priorities what brands and models do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!
                  WS

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
Re: Best Pick for a Snow Machine
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2011, 02:48 PM »
The Skandic WT and SWT can't be beat for a genuine beast of a hauling and towing machine. I know guys that have hauled their entire cabin's logs and lumber 25 miles cross country with them. Saw one guy hauling a sled with two 55 gallon drums of gasoline and heating oil to his cabin - sled total weight was 750 pounds. And one acquaintance sent me a picture of his SWT hitched to TWO sleds, each with an ATV strapped down on them he was hauling in to his cabin 20 miles in. I've contemplated getting this very machine for my more remote ice fishing expeditions but have a hard time opting for the brand new machine and price. The thing is, probably a confirmation as to these machines "worth" to their owners....you can't find one of these used machines for sale!  All a guy at work needs to do is casually mention at the lunch table that he is thinking about selling his Skandic and ITS GONE!  Never hits Craigs list or the local bulletin boards. And they get their price.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I'm on my 3rd Ski Doo Tundra..... I love them.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:01 PM »
I'm on my 3rd Ski Doo Tundra..... I love them.

X2, 2010 tundra here and lovin it

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:10 PM »
X2, 2010 tundra here and lovin it

I actually forgot that I had a 97 too. 97 Tundra LT, 2007 300F, and still have 2008 550F Tundra LT and 2010 550F Tundra (basic). If I had to go buy one right now, I would look at a 550F Summit too. The 2008 LT is a dream in the woods!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:06 PM »
SWT Skandick 4 stroke is an animal!  I own one and love it.  I pulled a ford f250 with a 22' sled bed trailer that was stuck on the lake of the lake.  My skies would not touch the snow, so I couldn't steer, but I re-hooked and kept pulling and eventually pulled the truck off the lake.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2011, 11:09 PM »
i love my 82 nordik but all told i'd go with a brand new yamaha bravo.  you could redo that whole machine with a leatherman and some duct tape.

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trying to teach my friend matt 300 how its done!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2011, 07:26 AM »
id stay away from fourstrokes. way to heavy goodluck getting it  unstuck if your alone
Matt300 and Repete as young-bucks teaching the bucks how to fish!!! this is where we separate the men from the ladies!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:36 AM »
I have another alternative "if" you can find one in the lower 48.  The Yamaha Bravo.  It's a true working sled that's light weight and economical.  Plenty of room for your gear too.  Perfect trapper sled.

If your into "retro" how about the Ski doo Elan!!!!! ;D  Still see them out and about years after they were made.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:54 AM »
Id look at the new bearcat 570 fans wt 24 inch track two up seat long track two stroke nice machine for fishing and not gonna break the bank

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:09 AM »
I have another alternative "if" you can find one in the lower 48.  The Yamaha Bravo.  It's a true working sled that's light weight and economical.  Plenty of room for your gear too.  Perfect trapper sled.

If your into "retro" how about the Ski doo Elan!!!!! ;D  Still see them out and about years after they were made.

If you want a new Bravo better get on it quick as this is the last year Yamaha will be making them.   :'(

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2011/12/17/north-inuit-yamaha-bravo.html

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Id look at the new bearcat 570 fans wt 24 inch track two up seat long track two stroke nice machine for fishing and not gonna break the bank

If they are slower than the narrow track one that I rode this weekend..... then they have no fun factor.

Offline JigginH2Oat40BLO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I was wondering what snowmobile you guys in the true north rely on? I really don’t have a lot of experience with them but if I want to expand my horizons, I figure someday I will need one.

I have heard talk about the Ski Doo Skandic being a good choice for the heavy snows that accompany things like chasing trout, venturing into back woods lakes, and an occasional trap line.

If fishing and survival are top priorities what brands and models do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!
                  WS

Looks to me like a lighter weight sport-utility variety will suit your needs in a snowmobile for the general variety of uses you describe.  Important features are reliability, lighter-weight,  a machine having longer >136" and also wider tracks (for floatation) plus some reasonable off trail lug to achieve paddle-like traction.  Somewhat wider skis are suggested.  Rack or tie-downs and a decent hitch come in handy. 

I'd start with 550 class Fan-cooled sport utility snowmobiles like the Ski-Doo Tundra LT from about 2006-2011 or Arctic Cat Bear-Cat 570 XT from 2009-2011 if going for all-arounder great snowmobiles for the tasks you describe.  These are excellent choices for all over Alaska negotiating highly variable conditions and dealing with drastic temperatures.  Just about any rider ability can feel comfortable on these machines.

Here... I do not see 'your' true needs reflecting the hauling of entire cabins and pulling pick-up trucks into the great beyond.  That said... the Ski-Doo SWT is in a worker/freighter class of its own (and none better).

The other snowmobiles worth consideration that provide good dual purpose performance are the Polaris RMK from 1999 to present and the Ski-Doo Summit older machines to the newer designs like REV to XP models.  Reasons being some of what I've already made mention like floatation/traction ratios on and off trail, lighter-weight, reliable, and so on... in addition to being nimble, rugged, and fun.

Couple of my Favorites:
For a super work sled to tractor class --- Ski-Doo SWT  550 Fan
For the best sport utility --- Ski-Doo Tundra LT 550 Fan or 600 ET
Pre-owned --- Just an all time favorite that is hard to find used (sport utility) is 2006 Ski-Doo Tundra LT 550 Fan (RF platform)
Used --- Likely one of the most rugged, simple, forgiving all-arounders over the years and still having plenty of parts available is old 1999 style Polaris 700 RMK.

I would be extremely hesitant on any 4-stroke and relate this from experience leading multi-day expeditions to wilderness day trips throughout Alaska.  I would not recommend any of them!!!

Hope this lends a hand!!!
Brian Richardson 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:51 AM »
Thanks for all the great responses!

I will have to see how the funds look as the New Year starts rolling along. I have very limited experience with snowmobiles so dependability is one of my top concerns. The last thing I need as a solo fisherman is to arrive parts un-known and have the machine clonk out.

I have very little interest in trail riding so a machine that can handle the off road deep snow is important.

Thanks again for all the information. I have some research to do!

WS

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Thats what I have. I bought it new 2011 in Feb. I only have 167 miles on it. So far I am very happy with it. Perfect for what I do which is beaver trapping and ice fishing. I wanted the wider track to haul my shack and it does that without a sweat.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Id reccomend one of these................. ........... ::)

These were actually geared to the outdoorsman. 1964 Technology at its finest. Said to tow 300lbs, seat two adults and a small child, and haul at speeds up to 15mph from alittle 6hp tecumseh. LOL Thats power!!!!

Have you heard of or considered an old Skidoo Alpine? The are work beasts and made for hauling and towing.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:09 AM »
That is a classic Hoppy!  What is it?  I love old sleds and have a couple under tarp that are getting ready for the garage...  The glory days of snowmobiling, when there were a hundred different makes of snowmachines available to the consumer. ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:14 AM »
That is a classic Hoppy!  What is it?  I love old sleds and have a couple under tarp that are getting ready for the garage...  The glory days of snowmobiling, when there were a hundred different makes of snowmachines available to the consumer. ;D
Glory days indeed. Machines back then were interesting and varied. Rode hard and tippy, but didn't look like demonic bugs ready to pounce. Folks wouldn't like em today cause mostly they just want to tear up mountains as fast and noisy as they can.
See you up the trail.

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:27 AM »
That would be a 1964 FoxTrac..........forge t the model # though. Made out in Wisconsin. Fox trac eventually made some sleds much like we know them. The company didnt last long. Think they went out of business back in the early 70's.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:16 PM »
My first and ONLY snowmachine was a 1969 Rupp Sno-Sport, 12hp (275cc) one lunger SACHS engine. First machine to come on the market with an all aluminum tunnel plus the fiberglass cowl that hinged at the front to open. Weighed in at 280 lbs. and you rode it like a dirt bike....totally with body english. Was one heck of a trail breaker when the Cats were burning up their belts plowing snow.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:44 PM »
My first and ONLY snowmachine was a 1969 Rupp Sno-Sport, 12hp (275cc) one lunger SACHS engine. First machine to come on the market with an all aluminum tunnel plus the fiberglass cowl that hinged at the front to open. Weighed in at 280 lbs. and you rode it like a dirt bike....totally with body english. Was one heck of a trail breaker when the Cats were burning up their belts plowing snow.
That's a classic right there. Still have it?
See you up the trail.

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:35 PM »

Rupp made some fantastic sleds. I cant say this enough but its a shame so many of these companys didnt make it. Id love to see some modern day machines from these companys.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:38 PM »
That's a classic right there. Still have it?
Naw, sold it to my cousin as a source of spare parts for his machine which was also the exact same machine.

Rupp made some fantastic sleds. I cant say this enough but its a shame so many of these companys didnt make it. Id love to see some modern day machines from these companys.

Indeed, as I was reading the background history of Mr. Rupp's enterprise it appeared that he was a very innovative designer and put a number of features on the Rupps before any of the other brands came out with those designs or components.

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:58 PM »
You can actually find parts for alot of the Rupps still. Still alot of them out there and i know of a company or two that repops alot of the parts for them.

Offline akair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Gotta love the old alpines. I have had two skandic 550 WT over the past 10 years they are solid built like freakin tanks, great for breakin trail into the adventure lakes.

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:11 PM »
Alpine was a true workhorse. Think skidoo made the "valmont" to and that was just like the alpine.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Just added a 2011 550F Tundra LT to the stable!  ;)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Just added a 2011 550F Tundra LT to the stable!  ;)

Couldn't afford a Yamaha, huh?   ;)2

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2012, 01:22 AM »
You can't handle this much sexy!!

Offline IceMan97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:40 PM »
If I had an opportunity to purchase a new sled I would defenatley look into to bear-cats, 440 or higher, with a long track, I have a 97 bear cat, That has not really ran in several years. I moved in to the new house several years ago and there it sat, until this year I am going to get that thing running, and make it my fishing sled. I Loved that machine, it would go anywhere, and go through the deep snow like a dream, the draw back to it is if you got it stuck because it was so long it was a pain to get unstuck by your self. I use to have to bounce up and down while standing on the two up seat get it unstuck. They were not fast but I do not like to go fast I like to go through deep snow, and be able to pull stuff.

With this sled I had tried starting it last year several times after someone had looked at it, could not figure out why it would not start. Well the gas line that connects to the shut off valve was broke, so it was not getting any gas, It took a friend of mine to notice that. Boy I felt funny after that. I just thought I would share that with all of you, Check your old gas lines they do become brittle after a couple of years. Now I cant wait until we get Ice, no more walking out there for me.
Where's the Ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.