New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: February Ticks  (Read 5229 times)

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
February Ticks
« on: Feb 25, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Just let the cat in from outside.   He came in and had a fat tick attached under his neck.  I guess it's spring time.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: February Ticks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2018, 04:46 PM »
My son lives in Clay NY near Oneida Lake and he called yesterday and told us he was out hiking and when he came in the house he had a tick crawling on the back of his hand.  Their going to be bad this year.     

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:02 PM »
I agree. I found one on my daughter's sleeve after shed hunting the other day.  My dog had to get one removed last winter.

Offline Esox on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Took a walk out yesterday looking for shed antlers... found a total of 5 crawling up my pant legs

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:33 PM »
One off the dog before bedtime, one off of the side of my back while using bathroom at 2 AM. Not easy yanking those suckers off without being able to see it!
Both were wood ticks, I hate those microscopic deer ticks even worse... >:(

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:42 PM »
they are one tough little bug, whats it take to kill a few off?!? I havent been in the woods yet, just finished my ice season up yesterday, but im gonna pop some tree rats and shed hunt next time I get the chance. last february when it was unseasonably warm my son got one on his leg when we were trout fishing. My 6yr old had one on her after playing in the woods this past fall, she HATES bugs and my wife tried not to let her know she was taking it off her but she figured it out and freaked out! poor girl was screamin n cryin askinng me am I gonna die?!? my son didnt help he told her she was gonna turn into a tick, that did not help matters at all...
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline Elmer Fudd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Had 4 crawling on my dog the last 5 Days they are out! Going to be a nasty year for ticks. I use sawyer tick spray, it kills them even when they just crawl on your clothes. If you use deet spray on top of it it’s even more effective. As for my dog, Bravecto from the vet keeps them from latching on 90% of the time. If they do latch on they die in a matter of hours from what I see, very few bite my lab now. My dog freely roams a couple hundred acres so finding a couple ticks everyday crawling on him is nothing new. They rarely bite him now.
 I’ve been bit 4 times the last several years and still no lime disease according to my bloodwork! I soak my hunting clothes in the stuff now and didn’t get bit once this year and I hunt in heavily tick infested areas.

Offline Catchthis44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Pulled one off the dog yesterday, last fall I pulled 28 off her in a three day span, they are getting unreal

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:29 AM »
get some sawyers tick spray it kills them dead. spray all your  hunting clothes and fishing let them dry and then its good for 6 washes. been using it for 5 years kills them dead. wal mart carries it i get mine at dicks bigger spray bottles. no more ticks on me or in me. not for the skin just your clothes.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:35 AM »

permethrin  is the  secret and yes wal mart or dicks  DON'T SPRAY YOUR SKIN!

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Anything for dogs?

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:42 AM »
if you get lyme disease, you have it for the REST of you life.deer ticks carry about 6 different
disease, i have lyme disease. the speay i put ON MY CLOTHING--NO MY SKIN-- is permethrin
to me deet is no good for ticks--permethrin is good for 30 days or till you wash your clothing
and the disease DOES COME BACK with out a new bite---google it---read 3 or 4  different reports
 :( :( :(
RAT 
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Anything for dogs?
YES--ask your vet what is the best one --note dogs get it so bad they STOP walking
 :( :( :(
RAT

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Ace Hardware sells a concentrate made by Bayer. I spray it in the yard, and around our archery clubhouse. It lasts about 3 months. I spray in the spring and around July 4th. Haven't had a problem in 3 years. It comes in a blue quart bottle for about 30 bucks. Ain't cheap but it goes a long way.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Ace Hardware sells a concentrate made by Bayer. I spray it in the yard, and around our archery clubhouse. It lasts about 3 months. I spray in the spring and around July 4th. Haven't had a problem in 3 years. It comes in a blue quart bottle for about 30 bucks. Ain't cheap but it goes a long way.
THANKS-i will try that,will help I do not want any of the other disease ticks carry
RAT

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:10 AM »
they come out in force once the temps is above freezing and they are ferocious after being dormant. Riverrat, sorry to hear that you got Lyme. that sucks big time. A friend of mine has it and she suffers severely when it flares up.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:36 AM »
None here yet but i started spraying down my clothes and shoes... Go through 1 of these every year...

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:28 AM »
We use the Seresto collars on our animals and they work well. 
A few ticks still hitch rides into the house.

My yardwork clothes and shoes are all sprayed with permethrin. 

Keeping the grass cut helps too.
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:29 AM »
None here yet but i started spraying down my clothes and shoes... Go through 1 of these every year...

THAT IS WHAT I USE.lyme may slow me up,but it will not stop me,but age may.
RAT

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:37 AM »
I tested positive for lymes 3 years ago after the antibotic reg i tesred negitive ....a lot of head way has been made if you catch a tick within 72 hours on dose (2 pills) of i believe doxicillin and no worrys. Anther thing a tick can only pass lymes when fully engorged your best protection permethin and deet dress proper and check your self after being out .wash your cloths as soon as possiable

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:56 AM »

Just a few i pulled off myself past.year..

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Good thread.  Lymes almost killed my fiance.  First doctor told her the mark was a spider bite.   Couple of days later she was inumbearable amounts of pain.  Trip to the ER and another opinion determined it was Lymes.  Left untreated it would have killed her. 

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:05 PM »
ticks are an epidemic here where i live everyone please be careful. sawyers ticks spray is the best thing out there that i know to protect yourself when out fishing hunting trapping whatever please spray your clothes . they come a long way on lyme disease but it can get your real sick and even might have to take medecine for a long time. i havent had a tick on me since i used it and im fishing and hunting all the time. back into trout ponds pheasant hunting where there are loads turkey hunting also and deer hunting. its a great feeling to come home with no ticks on me around my grandchildren. it may sound like im preaching but ticks  carry lyme disease

Offline Mossy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Yates county they gang busters last couple days. Today wore treated clothes and no issues. I'm gonna by that Sawyers by the gallon it's life saver.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Best thing for ticks is a couple guinea hens. They will eat every tick in the area. They are dirt cheap like chickens and pretty much take care of themselves. For dogs the best treatment is an edible flea and tick treatment. I believe it’s the only treatment proven to actually kill the tick. Other treatments just make them woozy so they fall off but can reattached after a short period of time.

Offline Mossy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:21 PM »
I have 6 guinea fowls they can't keep up

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I was diagnosed with Lyme  2 years ago, and I still don't feel 100% Sawyers is a must. It is a neurotoxin for them little *****s, also treats scabies.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:22 PM »
guinea hen isn't going to help you in the woods saywers or bug blocker is the  best answer I even spray deet on my skin too .....,remember lone star ticks are around too and you don't want that  meat allergy  they carry ....and it doesn't hurt to ask your doctor to check your blood for lymes at your annual checkup

Offline Linc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Ticks are really bad around my place. I went for a short walk in the woods last year and pulled a dozen ticks off my pants when I got out of the woods. Our cats get quite a few ticks during the year.

Offline Esox on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2018, 05:23 PM »
Hiking my dog in central New York today... pulled over 80 off him and flicked at least 25 off myself. Unreal. So bad!
He's got the collar, so I'm not to worried.  Just sucks seeing them crawling around on the truck seat and in the house on the carpet.
We were only hiking a little over an hour

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.