Author Topic: How to wire stereo in ice shack  (Read 5320 times)

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
How to wire stereo in ice shack
« on: Aug 22, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I am wanting to install/wire a stereo into my ice shack, I always forget to bring my handheld and this seems like a good solution.  I found some old car stereo speakers and would like to use an old car stereo, but how do I wire it?  I've done it in my truck before, but is there a way to wire without the harness and all the other connections?  I have a marine battery for the lights, and would like to use that for power.  Any inputs?  I am just stumped for some stupid reason....I should be able to figure this out. 

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: How to wire stereo in ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Does it have wire leads coming out of the radio?  Or do you need a plug? Red power 12v+/ black - then play with the other wires to the speakers.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Go ta an electroncs store and buy a roll of speaker wire. I have four speakers in my shack wired to an older AM/FM cassette radio.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2010, 12:17 PM »
The stereo that I have requires a wiring harness, to be plugged into the factory harness from a vehicle.  There are no leads coming out.  I am wondering if I can find a cheap AM/FM radio that I can just wire directly to battery/speakers without having to buy or use a harness.  I can figure out the antenna.

Offline budjd2cyl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • red dragons
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2010, 12:30 PM »
i have a ryobi cordless tool set that has a 18 volt little radio with it no am though just fm.. but i built a wooden box with a lawn mower battery in it. installed a 12volt plug on the side of the box and presto sirius satillite radio.. and that little 18 volt radio is lite and small and i have a extra battery for my flashlight
we work indavidulay but drink as a team

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2010, 10:05 PM »
If ya need wires, either go online for the make and model and make your own harness or go to Wally world and they sell harnesses for vehicles if its a Ford or other car make stereo....
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2010, 04:59 AM »
They make cheap radios for car with leads. I would pick one that is not too heavy. Some factory radios are heavier than the replacements. Don't forget speakers are heavy also, and depending on the location can transfer vibrations to the shanty that would not be good for fishing. If you do use speakers, keep them away from other electrical items so the magnets don't mess them up.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2010, 07:05 AM »
I think I'll just stick to my handheld, after thinking about it for awhile it just doesn't sound like a good idea anymore.  Too much to mess around with and I don't want anyone to break into the shack and steal things. 

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2010, 08:24 AM »
All ya need to do is wire the two speakers and the power wire and ground. Pretty simple. Total of 6 wires unless ya wanna run 4 speakers. Red and Black to battery (suggest a Cabelas battery-small like vex battery)and then 2 each to the speakers. You could build it all into a jigging seat box and take it home with ya. I made one with a CD player -240watt graphic equalizer and two speakers. I put a plug on it to plug into the cig lighter. I never knew which truck I would be assigned at work, this way, I had pumpin tunes whatever I drove! You could do much the same and add a seat to the top and sum rod holders too! Speakers can be deployed in an emergency also,  I lost my spud-bar down a hole once and tied 2 speakers together on a rope, dropped it down and wella, retrieved my bar!

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:58 PM »
Another option if you have an MP3 player is to just rig a small amplifier to a pair of speakers. You can connect the MP3 player from the headphone jack to the input of the car amplifier and then to a couple of speakers. All the volume and track information is controlled by the MP3 player. Like others mentioned, a small vex batter has more than enough juice to power the setup. Keep your eyes open on craigslist for a cheap 2 channel amplifier. This saves you have an expensive/bulky CD/radio in your shack. I can get you more information and a photo of how I've done this if your interested.
Matt

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2010, 03:36 PM »
I'd like to see a photo of your setup

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2010, 09:53 PM »
I was talking to a older gentleman last season and he was telling me on slow times you want to get a good spot and be real quite and you may catch fish while others are not. Drill your holes and sit them out being very quite.So when playing a radio ( I do at times) it needs to be very low volume. sound still travels through the ice and will turn off a good bite.

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2010, 11:03 AM »
My wife says Walleyes bite better when listening to Patsy Kline. Who am I to argue with her? When the fishing slows down she puts some Patsy Kline music in the boat stereo and they start biting again.  :woot: ;)2

I have an old AM/FM cassette in my drop down house with four speakers. My son has a cassette adaptor for his XM radio for when he is there. We turn it up just loud enough to be heard.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2010, 07:26 AM »
I will try to get pics posted today of my set-up. It is a Sansa Fuze with a small personal speaker set, just plug in the 3.5 lead, turn on the speaker set and presto, jammin' to AC/DC on the ice. Attached velcro straps to hang the set off the bars of my Scout trap.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2010, 11:01 PM »
My small flip over I use a small radio I got from the kids hand-me-down.( bought them a new stereo and took there old one) took it apart and where the battery's go I taped in with a plug so I can run it from my 12 volt battery along with the aqua-vu,lights etc. Small & light weight. Works good for me. Can't do the patsy but crank the ac-dc! ;D

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Any radio will work, I just want something that runs off 12V and can plug in the car speakers I found in a box I forgot I had.  I've been using a handheld weather radio, which works great.  I think the custom look of speakers/radio under the cabinet would look cool.  Here is the cabinet I would be using.  I had planned to put the speakers in the sides of the cabinet (they are just 5" round), and mount the radio under the cabinet for easy access.  The battery sits in the cabinet too. 

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Nice shack! Knotty pine looks awesome. I would put 1 on each end up high aiming down some and that way you will have the stereo effect. Its totally up to you,it should look great eather way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.