Author Topic: Smelt?  (Read 913 times)

iceandwiskey

Smelt?
« on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Well, I have been looking for some whole frozen smelt in the area and I have had no luck...  We can't use live bait and was looking for some smelt to put on tip-ups for pike.  So I was woundering if anybody knows where I would be able to order some online?  I have looked and I had no luck.  Thanks
Frank

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smelt?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Did you try the frozen fish area in your local grocery store??
The breath of God produces ice,
and the broad waters become frozen.
Job 37:10

Jesus was the best fisherman!! Luke 5:6

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:24 AM »
I can send you some..... :thumbsup:

iceandwiskey

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Sounds great!! PM me your address and cost so I can send you some cash!  :tipup:

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:08 PM »
I was only able to find them in one local grocer about 15 miles away.  even the bigger stores like safeway and wal-mart did not have them.  bait is hard o come by.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:34 PM »
If you have any local meat markets try there, i found them last night at one and got a 3lb bag for 5$, best thing is they still have the guts in them
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

iceandwiskey

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:05 PM »
The problem I have found out here is that most people have no ideal what a smelt is...  I am from Michigan and you can get them all over there but in Montana people look at you like your crazy... well ok maybe I am :P

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Iceandwhiskey, I live in Bozeman also, and am getting some smelt brought here by my parents who are coming for the weekend.  PM me or respond here if you are interested.  Also, I have checked most of the grocery stores and found nothing.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Too bad you live so far away, I would give you some fresh frozen smelt for free.

Just a couple of miles away from my home, the smelt fishing is great.  I use size 12 hooks and catch as many smelt as I like.  Since I can't eat all that I catch, I keep the very small ones for bait and I give away the smelt I can't eat.  I use 10 hooks and I often catch 3 to 4 smelt at a time.  When I mean small smelt, I mean 3 inches long.  However, I do catch smelt up to 10 inches long and sometimes the rare 12 incher.  I do keep a few larger smelt for pike fishing.

When fishing for brook trout using dead smelt, I make a small 3-hook harness, about 3 inches long with size 6 octopus hooks.  Even though the bait is hooked lightly, the fact that there are 3 hooks allows me to cast and recast the bait when shore fishing during the open water season.

I flash freeze the smelt on plastic trays and when they are hard, I store them in a good plastic zipper sac.  They stay loose in the sac and when they thaw, they do not get mushy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.