Author Topic: Inverter Generators.  (Read 12343 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Inverter Generators.
« Reply #30 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I run one of these for connecting my camper to the ole Yamaha.

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks handy......The power cord that comes with the ice castle has all the adapters and stuff.......never huts to have a spare though.......how much is one of those

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Aug 24, 2016, 10:01 PM »
63dB is loud as hell. That's at a 1/4 load. For me It needs to be in the 51-55 range. Otherwise It's pointless an I might has well use the Benny I got.

Your right have you done a total load caculation for the ice castle? I belive the honda is rated at 50% load at that dB range  a good sized refrigerator will use that up quick.. same with TV's and lighting and dish . Along with plug out let's etc.. 2000 watts are not that many and mainly when it is around 1600 watts I think it said.. so you maybe better of running that old Benny?? Or even a hybrid set up ? But it all depends on what's ran . Hybrids are a solar battery set up for lighting and  you have the Benny for the bigger stuff.  But for sure do a load caluculation if you have not.. rember refrigators are dedicate outlets they run 24/7 same with a/c ...

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Aug 24, 2016, 10:12 PM »
I run one of these for connecting my camper to the ole Yamaha.

Yor yammi 240 volt?  Cause that's a 240 volt adaptor plug ??  I guessing it is the wrong picture I am seeing cause If you notice the end that looks like a 120 volt plug one of the  terminals is side ways hence a 240 volt plug ..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #33 on: Aug 24, 2016, 10:47 PM »
Your right have you done a total load caculation for the ice castle? I belive the honda is rated at 50% load at that dB range  a good sized refrigerator will use that up quick.. same with TV's and lighting and dish . Along with plug out let's etc.. 2000 watts are not that many and mainly when it is around 1600 watts I think it said.. so you maybe better of running that old Benny?? Or even a hybrid set up ? But it all depends on what's ran . Hybrids are a solar battery set up for lighting and  you have the Benny for the bigger stuff.  But for sure do a load caluculation if you have not.. rember refrigators are dedicate outlets they run 24/7 same with a/c ...

my uncle in law has an ice castle and a Yamaha 2000. He runs his 1.7cu mini fridge, lights, tv, dish, and furnace blower. It runs it fine and never kicks up to being loud. Now if he runs a pot of coffe or his hot plate for breakfast it will jump up and be loud has heck. 95% of the time it's running quiet. I figure mine will be similar load.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Aug 25, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Yor yammi 240 volt?  Cause that's a 240 volt adaptor plug ??  I guessing it is the wrong picture I am seeing cause If you notice the end that looks like a 120 volt plug one of the  terminals is side ways hence a 240 volt plug ..

That's a 20 amp 120 volt plug not a 240 volt.
They also make 15 amp plug versions of them as well as 30 amp twist lock versions.
All are 120 volt.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2016, 04:42 PM »
This plug is actually a 30A/120V RV to 20A/120V. My vote is the Honda....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Aug 27, 2016, 01:17 PM »

Looks like it would definitely be worth getting a Ginny with 50-53dB vs the one I have with 65-70dB

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #37 on: Aug 27, 2016, 08:26 PM »
Here, just fill this out and then go get a Honda!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Aug 27, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Never buy a coleman generator, or atv or any other object other than a lantern, stove or tent.   But not power equipment.  I made the mistake once on a generator.  It was a coleman with Yamaha motor, the motor ran great, even at the end, the generator part was crap.

I just bought a used Honda  eu2000.    Kick myself for not buying one sooner.  Can find new ones at Northern tool, wait for a sale and some of their gift cards. $900 or so
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Aug 27, 2016, 09:40 PM »

Asshat award to this poster.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Aug 27, 2016, 11:14 PM »
You could quiet down the ETQ Genny you already have also..... I have done it and it works quite well. Just add a second muffler to the exhaust (cannot be too restrictive) then route the exhaust straight up. Then add an insulated but well ventilated box around the genny and it should knock the Genny noise way way down. I have always thought there should be an sound deadening box on every ice castle for the genny.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #41 on: Aug 27, 2016, 11:37 PM »

Yeah prya beating it to death. However, I have until Dec before the ice is thick enough for a wheel house and just mulling over what to do. If it was the middle of December I'd just walk into the hardware store grab the Honda an go no questions. However I might has well roll the cob on this since there is plenty of time.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #42 on: Aug 27, 2016, 11:49 PM »
You could quiet down the ETQ Genny you already have also..... I have done it and it works quite well. Just add a second muffler to the exhaust (cannot be too restrictive) then route the exhaust straight up. Then add an insulated but well ventilated box around the genny and it should knock the Genny noise way way down. I have always thought there should be an sound deadening box on every ice castle for the genny.

Yeah I could and thought about it, but here is the problem...the ETQ takes 4gallons of gas to run for 12 hrs. The quite inverters would run about 10hrs on a gallon. So if a guy had the inverter generator filled (1 gallon tank) & a 5gallon gas can you would be able to go about 60hrs or so which would be 2.5days or do a weekend trip. Now the ETQ gets about 3hrs per gallon. So a full tank (4 gallons) and a 5gallon can would get me 27hrs of run time. So a little over a day. The ETQ would take about 20gallons of gas to do the same run time as the Inverter generators on 6 gallons........not really wanting to haul 15 gallons of gas in 3 cans around + a dampening box. I'm gonna get an inverter generator....just got to figure out which one for sure.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Could always get a liquid transfer tank instead of a new genarator  see link for transfer tank. Juse kidding though cause we know you know what you want why not just get it?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/delta-steel-transfer-tank-37-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #44 on: Aug 28, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Just buy one of those quiet, 2 stroke, Chinese built generators like I bought for ice fishing.  It was really quiet since it wouldn't start below 50° F. I couldn't wait to get my hands on a Honda.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Aug 28, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Here's a couple of  things the Yamaha has over the Honda.
The Yamaha has a fuel shutoff valve and also has a fuel gauge.
The Honda doesn't have either.

When using my Yamaha under a fairly light load I get 12 hours or so out of a gallon of gas.   ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #46 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02:44 PM »

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Aug 28, 2016, 04:03 PM »

When using my Yamaha under a fairly light load I get 12 hours or so out of a gallon of gas.   ;D

Same with the amp rating yamaha has better then honda ... but I think the op's uncle or brother or etc has a Honda were if you were to use two linked it would put out enough power to run two shacks but rember fuel shut off is a major plus cause of gummed carbs .. by linked if he gets up before you say and wants to run that hot plate and coffee pot he could but you try at the same time it going to be loud like said before .. it would be like separate shacks on separate bennys..  just remember he goes to get a new genney how could buy and link em.. even though the yami is rated better the choice is up to him..kind of got to look at it from the op's perspective..if a fuel shut off is that big of deal he could always splice it in between the tank and carb a shut off valve.. but it all up to him..

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:35 PM »

My Honda hasn't had a fuel shut-off for 14 years.  Can't imagine why it would need one now-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #49 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:31 PM »
I think these videos show the differences in the units.

Load test on a Yamaha- about 30sec. With a 1900watt load overloads it.

Load test on a Honda-with a 2200watt load....doesn't overload it.

Load test on Champion-1700watt load single unit towards end.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Very intresting video.. like I said the rating are better on the Yamaha on rating sites but not always true.. kinda like why honda and Toyota always get the motor trend power awards and the etc etc.. cause its paid advertising.. they pay for them self to win the award some times..  does not look like its so with the video on th he honda?? That's real world the honda video.. like I said seems like you know what you want why not just get it??

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #51 on: Aug 29, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Very intresting video.. like I said the rating are better on the Yamaha on rating sites but not always true.. kinda like why honda and Toyota always get the motor trend power awards and the etc etc.. cause its paid advertising.. they pay for them self to win the award some times..  does not look like its so with the video on th he honda?? That's real world the honda video.. like I said seems like you know what you want why not just get it??

Oh I will get the Honda, I just kinda got 2.5months to burn and if I over research the crap out of it and buy later it will keep me from buying a bunch of other stuff I don't need.

My uncle with a wheel house has a Yamaha and I thought maybe I should get a Yamaha so if we went on trips together we could link them......then I found out that you can basically take any inverter type generators and link the two together....Seen some videos of a Wen and a Yamaha, and a Wen and a Honda.....was kinda cool when the guys would push them to the max the Wen would always be the one to start overloading first.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Aug 30, 2016, 03:44 AM »
Oh I will get the Honda, I just kinda got 2.5months to burn and if I over research the crap out of it and buy later it will keep me from buying a bunch of other stuff I don't need.

My uncle with a wheel house has a Yamaha and I thought maybe I should get a Yamaha so if we went on trips together we could link them......then I found out that you can basically take any inverter type generators and link the two together....Seen some videos of a Wen and a Yamaha, and a Wen and a Honda.....was kinda cool when the guys would push them to the max the Wen would always be the one to start overloading first.

Ya I get ya most of all after buying a ice castle.. but at least you know the honda is best for you.. did a little research on the best inverter genarators and a few of the review sites said yamaha .. why cause i think the mfg Is paying that company for advertising saying there better.. when they really are not..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #53 on: Sep 12, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Lol well I ended up getting the champion. The latest models have better plugs in it. 14.2 amp. So they can run the  full 1700 watts off a plug & will do starting watts up to the 2000 watts. They also added some nice features like a metal ring around the pull cord so it doesn't cut up the side panel. So far test have been good, and it is quite. I ended up going this way getting direct tv and Sunday ticket...spent $985 on it all.....the Sunday ticket did it for me😱

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Sep 13, 2016, 07:07 AM »
Do a review on it if you get time after you have run it some... Im always interested in real world feedback especially from an icefisherman.

Offline JKaboom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Sep 13, 2016, 10:07 PM »
Great thread!!! I will keep saving money - was going to get a Champion but looks like the Honda is worth 2x the money in the long run.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Sep 24, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Great thread!!! I will keep saving money - was going to get a Champion but looks like the Honda is worth 2x the money in the long run.

I just spent a week in Arizona elk camp and my bro-in-law had a Champion.  The 3200watt or so size.  Had a remote control, could start it from inside the toy hauler.  Worked good, but not sure if he will get the years out it like a honda.    I mentioned I bought a honda off craigslist this past summer.   He got pissy, I changed the subject. 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Sep 24, 2016, 09:35 PM »
    I mentioned I bought a honda off craigslist this past summer.   He got pissy,

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #58 on: Oct 23, 2016, 10:20 PM »
Well been pretty happy just testing/using the champion so far. Runs really well. It will be interesting to see how it runs this winter.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Oct 24, 2016, 12:28 AM »
While I do not have one of these inverter generators I will be picking up the yamaha or honda.  Both are top notch machines.   My current 3000 watts generator works great but at 350 hours last year the regulator went out. 

Took 6 weeks to get another regulator to my house which kinda ruined my ice camping at the end of the season.

Unless you knew it there are long run time tanks for these small generators if your going to just have them running non stop for days while fishing.   Makes it nice not having to go fuel it up at 3am.
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.