Author Topic: Some like it hot.....  (Read 2565 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Some like it hot.....
« on: Nov 01, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Might be the time of year when some chili heads got some extra peppers layin' around. Last few years I've played with making some hot sauces and this has become my favorite. Gotta like the habbies..........

I put this on everything from breakfast cereal to midnight cookies............ ;)

Sparky’s Fruit Punch Habanero Hot Sauce

Fruit Punch Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe is a unique, easy and fun to make recipe. It will make your mouth water, your ears pop and your body temperature rise. This recipe is sure to please friends and family when you serve it at your next party or gathering.

This is a seriously hot sauce; use it with caution. Keep away from pets, open flames, unsupervised children, drunks, and scoundrels. To preserve the unique fruity flavor of the chiles, the habaneros are not cooked. When handling habaneros use food-safe gloves and thoroughly wash knives, cutting boards, and utensils with cold soapy water and then hot soapy water, if you’re a pansy. If you’re a man, keep yer hands naked, rub yer eyes and DON’T wash yer hand BEFORE using the facilities…………

Ingredients:

•   2 large carrots (1 1/2 cups) peeled & chopped)
•   1/2 medium red onion (1 cup) peeled & chopped)
•   1 1/2 cups white vinegar
•   1/2 cup water
•   6 cloves garlic (2 tablespoons minced)
•   1/4 cup fresh lime juice
•   1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
•   1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•   1/4 cup coarse grain or Creole mustard
•   12 to 14 habanero chiles, seeds and stems removed (3/4 cup minced)

Combine the carrots, onion, vinegar, water, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper and mustard in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the carrots are soft. Remove from heat.

Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the mixture. Add the habaneros and continue to puree until smooth. Pour into sterilized jars or bottles and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.

Yield: About 2 to 3 cups

Note: 10/14/2010 – Made this recipe and got a little over 4 cups. Tasty, basic habanero sauce; I seeded the peppers and I’d rate the product as “moderately” hot. Next time I’ll leave the peppers whole. I also used Dijon mustard.

Note: 09/2012 – Made a double batch but didn’t make any notes. It’s March 03, 2013 and I’m just about out.....

Note: 03/04/2013 – Making a double batch. I used 35 habbies, about 10 from the garden and the rest from the Asian store, all frozen.  I’ll make better notes regarding yield and heat level.

OK, yield was about 9 cups. That’s 4.5 pints.... or 72 ounces. At 5 or let’s say 6 ounces per bottle that’s 12 bottles at the store. If I go through one every two weeks that’s a half a year and that’s just about right based on what I made in September and how long that lasted.  Let’s see, I also used about 1/3 stone ground mustard and the rest was Brown Spicy.

For those of you that appreciate.....enjoy. For the rest........suffer. ;D

Or........use it to lube your reels.

/mike
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Some like it hot.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Holy cripes!!! Ya forgot to remind those who follow the "if you're a man" part, that an ice-water plunge made be needed after er, ah, using the facilities.  :pinch: Almost beddy-bye time, and now ya got me diggin' for a certain recipe......
Oh, it does sound great, really. I like mixing things up...I'm thinking a Vietnamese Spring Roll dipped in that... :P
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:19 AM »
I can vouch for the facilities thing, as I grew and dried a lot of habs from a large salsa garden! Went around the side of the garage because I had a bladder over pressure warning light!! No gloves!! NEVER did that again!! :woot: :roflmao: :nono: :whistle: :%$#!:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Sounds like flames in a jar. Lol

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:36 AM »
Sounds like flames in a jar. Lol
Some like it hot!!!! Always have a bottle of Frank's on the table!!! Gonna have to try this!!! ;D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Some like it hot!!!! Always have a bottle of Frank's on the table!!! Gonna have to try this!!! ;D

Be careful...I think ya might burn yer widdle wips.   :-*  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2013, 12:24 PM »
Be careful...I think ya might burn yer widdle wips.   :-*  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Where did you pick up that speech impediment??  :woot: :clap: :flex: :whistle:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I got it fwum some pwace down in Ohio where they have thilly thailors.  ;)2

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:15 PM »
I got it fwum some pwace down in Ohio where they have thilly thailors.  ;)2
There, it just happened again!!! :woot: :roflmao: ;)2 :whistle:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Maybe just a small jar into the punch bowl at a wedding reception.     :woot:

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2013, 05:53 PM »
Recipe sounds good, like your style.  Looks like enough vinegar to safely preserve this hot sauce.  Wondering if roasting the peppers would result in a better tasting product with a little less Zing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.