Author Topic: Smoking!  (Read 5293 times)

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smoking!
« on: Feb 27, 2013, 10:34 AM »
Ok I'm new to the smoking world and just picked up a Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker.  I have only smoked ribs in it once and they turned out fantastic.  Question is I have some Steelhead that I would like to smoke.  My smoker seems to run about 200 degrees on low temp.  How long do you think I should smoke the steelhead for?  My guess is 2-2.5 hours and that just guessing.  If anyone could give me any information on this I would greatly appreciate it.  Also if you have any of your favorite recipes that you would like to share the would be awesome.  Thanks and Tight Lines!!   ;D

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re: Smoking!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:08 AM »
I have a masterbuilt smoker and it takes 2-2.5 hrs to smoke steelhead at a temp of 170-200 degrees.take your time and you will get the hang of it.

HIMO
                                                          Iceshanty & MFF Global Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline FishtalesII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:43 AM »
I have smoked hundreds of pounds of salmon & steelhead and here is a recipe that has always been great. You will get the hang of it the more you do it. Every smoker is different, I use a charcoal smoker so I have to keep a closer eye on it. Good luck, hope this helps

Brine For Fish

2QTS. WATER
1/2 CUP SALT
1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR   
2 TBLS LEMON JUICE   
1/2 TBLS GARLIC POWDER
1/4 TBLS ONION SALT

DISOLVE ALL THE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER. COMPLETELY SUBMERGE FISH FILLETS FOR 24 TO 48 HOURS. PAT DRY AND PUT IN A SMOKER FOR A MINIMUM OF 2.5 HOURS. ADD THE REMAINING BRINE TO THE WATER PAN.
SMOKE WITH HICKORY OR MESQUITE, MIX IN A LITTLE FRUIT WOOD (APPLE OR CHERRYWOOD) SMOKE UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN. AVOID OPENING THE SMOKER DURING SMOKING.

FishtalesII
<*}}}}><

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:48 PM »
I will have to try that one fish tales, I just did some steelhead about a month ago. Someone else had something on here talking about testing the salt in the water with an egg. I wish I would have done it. Mine was just a little salty, but it was my own fault. Didn't follow any recipe just eyeballed it..... Lesson learned.  I can get away with it with chicken.  I smoked mine for 3 hours and went just a touch too long, but they were good. 
Gator Nation

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far guys.  Took some steelhead last night and put it in the brine that FishtalesII wrote down.  Only thing I changed in my brine vs. his brine was I put 1 cup of brown sugar and a pinch of black pepper also.  I plan on smoking them tonight.  I will post some pics of the results and my rating 1-10 on the taste.  I also have a dry brine recipe that I found the other day.  Has anyone tried a dry brine before?  I'll be posting the recipe tonight as well.  Thanks again and keep the good info coming.  Tight Lines!!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:01 AM »
Cold or hot smoking? I use 1 cup salt,1 cup brown sugar,a few black peppercorns,1 gallon cold water. Brine 12 - 24 hours in fridge,rinse fillets in cold water and air dry on racks till they glaze over, then smoke. Hot smoke at higher temps cooks the fish and smokes but will not keep long. Cold smoke at low temps 140-160 for 12 hours or more depends on thickness of fillets or whole fish take longer,when cold smoking I add a small packet of salt cure(pink in color) to the brine. I have cold smoke fish that last a year vac pack in the fridge. Hope this helps.

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:10 PM »
I'm going to try HOT smoke first.  Temp around 190-200 that's the lowest my smoker will go.  Going to start with 2 hours and go from there.  I'm not worried about how long it will keep because I'm sure my family of 5 will devour it all within a few days.  I might vac seal a few and freeze them but they won't stay in the freezer long either.  I'll post pics later.  Thanks and Tight Lines.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Some very good information everyone!

WS

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:57 AM »
As long as we've got some smokers here, I've got a question. I've heard that smoking fish can flavor a smoker for quite some time impacting evertyhing else you put in it. The example might be "fishy" tasting ribs following a fish smoking event.

Any enlightenment?

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2013, 10:44 AM »

here are some pictures to get you going.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:32 PM »
There is a great recipe on Field and Streams website called Hawaiian Fish Jerky.  I did in both my smoker and tried it in the oven.  Both work well.  The temp called for is 145deg.  It is a lot like Squaw Candy from Alaska.  Good luck
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline FishtalesII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:59 AM »
Hi Macchia; Was just wondering how the smoked fish came out. hope all went well.
FishtalesII
<*}}}}><

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2013, 12:10 PM »
The Steelhead came out fantastic.  I'll have to finally post some pics today.  Thanks again for all the info.

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2013, 12:15 PM »

Smoked for 2 hours at 200 degrees. Came out perfect!!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Thanks now I got slobber all over my moniter ;D
Gator Nation

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2013, 10:26 PM »
I put 24 trout fillets in a brine mixture on Thursday.Today I smoked them with charcoal and sassafrass,man o man did they turn out great.This was my first try at smoking fish,I have smoked several deer and pork roast,so I needed to try fish.If you never smoked fish I highly recommend it.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2013, 10:30 PM »
You brined them for 3 days :o.  Trout season ends here after tomorrow.  Might have to go out and get one last batch for smoking.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2013, 10:41 PM »
You brined them for 3 days :o.  Trout season ends here after tomorrow.  Might have to go out and get one last batch for smoking.

Yes,I used the same brine mix that I brine my roast in.I use pickling salt,brown sugar,black pepper and garlic.I stirr the salt in water to a fairly salty taste,add brown sugar to sweeten the salt,then add black pepper and garlic to taste.submerge the fillets in mixture,place a glass plate in the mixture to hold the fillets under liquid.I really like sassafras for smoking because it adds a smokey sweet flavor to the meat.3 days in the brine mix seems to work very well for everything I've smoked so far,I tried 2 days,but 3 is what we like.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2013, 08:28 AM »
Never tried sassafrass for smoking. Have to give it a try. Sounds like a good basic brine, we use this one too. Doesn't 3 days in brine give a pretty powerful taste? I soak 24 hours no more and rinse fish off before smoking.  Maybe I am missing something? My buddy uses a brine with molasses and it is just awesome on salmon and trout. He won't give me the recipe yet. He will in time I am sure.   Steve

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2013, 08:49 AM »
Do you de-bone your fillets?

MTA

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Wow I couldn't wait three days,  I cure the big fish like salmon for 6 hours just dry rub style and smoke for 3hrs.  I will have to give this method a try.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2013, 11:09 AM »
I just tried smoking a little 21" rainbow trout I caught and used the same receipe as I was using on the silver Salmon I was also smoking. The salmon turned out awsome but the trout was not quite as good. Good just didn't have the WOW effect the silvers did.
The receipe I use is a bit different but it basicall only brines for 2 hours then sits with a rub on it overnight before going into the smoker.
I assume you let the brined fish sit out for a few hours to get a good pellicle on it before smoking?
If not I highly recommend this as it really helps to hold the smoke flavor.
Smoking fish is really easy. I got my receipe from a friend of my dads and he sure has it perfected for smoking Salmon.
I use a receipe out of a book for smoking Halibut and it sits in a soy based brine for a couple of hours then sits out to form the pellicle but only spends half the time in the smoker my Salmon does.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Osage, where do you get the sassafras?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor