Author Topic: smoked perch recipes please!  (Read 19384 times)

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • aw ...give the fishy a kiss.
smoked perch recipes please!
« on: Feb 22, 2010, 11:29 AM »
I've got a bunch of small skinless, headless perch (banana peel method)....I'd like to try smoking them ( I've smoked trout and salmon before.

I like it a little sweet and salty but not too much like a kipper.

I'd love a brine recipe for skinless fish,  and soaking times.

thanks!

Jen
CAN'T.....STOP....FISHING. ...

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: smoked perch recipes please!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I have never had luck with panfish they awalys come out of the smoker taisting like tar so dry that I am unable to swallow even one bite(I did them the exact same as I would do a whitefish or trout).  If you do try it I would say use a much shorter smokeing time than you would with a fattier fish and use a lower temp.  Other than that I would suggust only doing one or two at a time untill you get it right so you don't ruin the hole batch.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:36 AM »
 date=1073261328]
Buzzbomb
You got it right but I weigh the filets just to set a time for the whole process. My brine starts with a Gal of spring water so their is no taste of chlorine or other impurities. Add enough salt to float a egg or potatoe. I do add 1/2 lb brown sugar,Black strap molasas about 1/2 bottle A half cup lemon juice, cut up 1 onion or use onion powder.If you are doing Salmon or Trout add Dill. Mix the brine in a non metal container and use to imerse fish in Scale the fish and wipe it off with a solution of 4 parts water to 1 part vinigar this will remove the fish slime. then rinse in cold water. Imerse the fish in the brine and weigh it down with a plate or something but be carefull not to put a air pocket next to the fish Keep the brine cold about 35deg put ice in a plastic bag so as not to dilute the brine. Now here is why you weigh the fish. Each piece should be close to the same weight and do not use a total weight of the fish only the pieces. Say you have a Pike that weighs 15 lbs cleaned well it might be to big for the smoker so you cut it in quaters. Now you have 2 side with the weight of 71/2 lbs each cut again in quaters that makes each piece 3 3/4 lbs apiece. The brineing time for 3 3/4 lbs is 4hrs.  I'll put down the weight to time.
Under 1/4 lb 30 min
1/4 to1/2 45 min
1/2 to 1 lb 1 hr
1 to 2 lb  2 hrs
2 to 3 lbs 3 hrs
3 to 4 lbs 4 hrs
4 to 5 lbs 5 hrs
 This scale of time of brineing worked great for me for yrs never to salty and the fish has a great flavore and hold up great for at least 3 to 4 wks in the fridge. After you finish brineing rinse the fish again under cold water  the put on a wire rack to dry What I do is put it next to a small fan to allow air to circulate around the fish. It must dry to form the Pellical . The pellical is a gloss that forms on the meat of the fish kind of like a varnish.Leave it under the fan untill the fish is dry the longer the better. Remember to keep the fish cool. Now put the fish in the smoker if you are useing racks oil the racks so the skin doesnt stick . Pike because it does not have a lot of oil in the flesh you can baste the fish with oil to keep it from drying out too much The time of smokeing their are no set rules to follow but if you push on it with a fork and it flakes you are done or a thermometer reading of 140 deg in the center of the flesh. If by some dumb chance you see a white liquid on the flesh when you are smokeing the fish it is caused by not drying he fish enough to form the pellical It will not hurt the taste or hurt you eating it just remember the time you used to dry the fish and add more time to the drying prosses. One more thing Cool the fish before eating it tastes better.
If anyone wants to know anymore just IM me
Cold Feet
[/quote]

This has been the way I smoked fish for years follow the time table for your fish for brining. If you say you want to smoke Perch in the round not filleted if the fish is less than a lb go to that chart for brine time.   ( use a average for size). If you fillete the fish weigh just one side as this does make a huge diffrence in times of brine. Stick to time tables listed.
 Add molasas brown sugar and lemmon juice and slices to brine for perch. Smoke time is about a hour at most. Untill fish flakes easily. Just one thing leaving flesh to skin will work much better than taking off. keep it on if possible. Perch is a light tasting fish so keep smoke to a minimum use a light smoke too like pear,cherry, pecan or apple wood stay away from misquite too harsh a smoke.

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Great info cold-feet. But are perch really good smoked? I thought you always wanted a more oily fish like whites, salmon, etc..
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:16 PM »
I'm going to try a small batch...they are skinless and smaller, so I am trying a milder brine with brown sugar, for a shorter time. its cold here, so the smoker shouldnt dry them out too much. I will let you know if it works...if not I may take off the meat and make a pate with cream cheese.....

I know oily fish are easier to smoke, but in Scotland, and the  maritimes they smoke cod and haddock which are lean. worth a try. if not the banana peel method and then Fish Crisp was delicious and so easy to eat! ;D

J :tipup:

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:41 PM »
We have been dipping egg then mix of 1/2 flour and 1/2 corn meal buy at safeway spice to taste, lots of oil more or less deep fry. Really good. I do fillets only takes about a min. The corn meal makes the dif.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:44 PM »
ShePike
Do yourself a huge favor and do not cut back on anything as far as ingredients. TIME is the key to getting great smoked fish. Use the time table above is set for weights. Weight = time. In the rounds do as stated and weigh the fish then brine according to average of 1 fishes weight! NOT TOTAL WEIGHT OF ALL THE FISH. So on average you are looking at roughly 1/2 lb fish so about 45 min in brine is enough. Again if you do not have skin on try lying the fish on oiled tin foil in smoker then when you want to flip just roll fish over and continue smoking. with skin on add 1/2 hr to brine time and smoke skin side down do not flip, oh one other thing take a fork and add a few drain holes to tinfoil this will allow drippings to get away from flesh making a better tasting fish.

Kim
Yes oily fish are easier in one way but with fish that are less oilier you can also baste with a little oil before you start smoking to keep moist trust me they still wont dry out if you follow times for smoking or use the flaking method. Also add a pan of water or a juice say apple to smoker to keep moist. Time I would say 1 to 1 1/2 hr in hot smoker.  One other thing Oilier fish and fish with skins on you need to add 1/2 hr to brine times per item discribed so with skin and oily fish add 1 hr.

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:08 PM »
We have been dipping egg then mix of 1/2 flour and 1/2 corn meal buy at safeway spice to taste, lots of oil more or less deep fry. Really good. I do fillets only takes about a min. The corn meal makes the dif.

Yes I LOVE perch with cornmeal! I add cajun spices, a little flour....so crispy I eat the fins too :)
Fish Crisp is my lazy way and good for my kid thats not as keen on the cornmeal.

got them in the smoker...brined them about 2 hours, rolled them in olive oil first, they are looking and smelling good so far....I threw the eggs in too just to experiment, wrapped in parchement ( baking paper)

thanks for the tips!
Jen

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:56 AM »
I need some addresses here...I'll bring the wine and cheese ???

Not to hijack or anything, but what smokers are you using?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Smoked Perch turned out great~! had to watch so they were just cooked and didnt dry out. also smoked the roe and then made a spread. yum!

I just use a little chief, but I want a Bradley!!

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:10 AM »
I need some addresses here...I'll bring the wine and cheese ???

Not to hijack or anything, but what smokers are you using?

RG

For the amount of smoking we do the Weber grill does a great job. I've done a pile of fish in it and a turkey or two.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Weber??? Did I hear Weber???

I'm a Weber fanatic.. I've played with adding smoke to certain slow cooking, but I've never actually "smoked" on the Weber. What's your process?
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2010, 05:22 AM »
Well, I've got a planer and make my own woodchips. I soak 'em about an hour, then wring 'em out and put them in an open ended tinfoil "log". I place this over the rear burner of the grill. Heat until it's smokin' then turn it down to low. This keeps the temp at a near perfect 180-190 degrees. Works for me ;D

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2010, 01:45 PM »
I've tried multiple versions of the brine that contains everything from motor oil to molasses, tequila and all that other crap.  It just doesn't taste right to me.

Fillet the perch, rinse, pat dry, lightly sprinkle with coarse pickling salt and layer adding a wee bit more salt to each layer.  All the salt does is dry out the meat and prevent bacteria growth, leave in the fridge overnight.  Next morning, rinse off the salt, place on oiled racks, (PAM) and use 2-3 pans of Apple/Alder mix, depending how cold and windy, smoke from 4-6 hours, enjoy.  Now you have real smokehouse fish.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Well, I've got a planer and make my own woodchips. I soak 'em about an hour, then wring 'em out and put them in an open ended tinfoil "log". I place this over the rear burner of the grill. Heat until it's smokin' then turn it down to low. This keeps the temp at a near perfect 180-190 degrees. Works for me ;D

You said burner...I'm a charcoal cooker only. No "propane and propane accessories" for me. I cane keep the BBQ going for hours with little effort. Hard to get the temp down to 180 for a controlled length of time. I think I need to buy a smoker.
RG

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2010, 08:48 AM »
I smoke perch and crappie quite a lot and they come out fine.  I brine them first then smoke them with hickory chips.  I only cut the heads off and gut them. I leave the skin, scales, fins and tails on.  Its way easier that way, a lot faster, and it keeps them from drying out.  You can clean a bucket of perch that way in no time.  Smoke them fresh or freeze them and smoke them when you want. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.