Author Topic: ice fisherman IN A WHEELCHAIR  (Read 12881 times)

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
Re: ice fisherman IN A WHEELCHAIR
« Reply #60 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:43 PM »
A high Quality drill with good power is needed. I don,t think B&D is going to do that JMHO

Interesting fact: Black and Decker owns Porter Cable, a very high quality and capable drill for this application. Be sure to ask for a Porter Cable, as long as your asking.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #61 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Great thread, nice to see people helping out those less fortunate than ourselves. Just a thought, if you can get the gear together (auger, drill, skis) a local machine or welding shop might be able to help out to modify the gear to suit Stewart. This could be much more effective if a piece in the local news is secured, you'd be amazed what happens when things like this hit the news, win win all round! I'd be in for a paypal donation if someone can set it up.

I get your point and if you speak with him he literally says it's the best thing that ever happened to him; literally
That's BOLD

Yeah, I respect his fierce independence & am doing all this in the background w/o his knowledge & that in itself is
killing me  He's a guy who wants to "do" / "give" to others and not worry about self so I'm on needles wondering
how he's going to take this   It'd be a gas if he was checking this site hourly   OH MAN.... "Hey Stewart, Buddy!"

Any-who, I'd definitely ask permission first instead of forgiveness b4 inviting media.  And thx for the gentle prod
as I get your point made
while I'm soft-shoeing in public and running a sprint in private
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #62 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Interesting fact: Black and Decker owns Porter Cable, a very high quality and capable drill for this application. Be sure to ask for a Porter Cable, as long as your asking.

Thx for the suggestion   AND, just how exactly did you intercept my plan  ::) ;D :bow:
Grew up in midwest near porter cable call center - great products that my pops always enjoyed WHEN HE COULD SAVE ENOUGH   looking back, they were the dewalt of my youth  high priced, high quality
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:07 PM »
I'd look really hard for a one man PakShack for a shelter.

The old one man is a flip over using thin spring steel for the overhead support, and is attached at only two places - the outstretched  arms of your typical fold out camp chair, and the bottom of the rear legs on the chair. 

At the arms (which is the hinge point for the whole flip over) it's supported by a bolt, with the spring steel bands isolated on each side by a plastic washer.  The width could EASILY reach the requirements for a standard wheel chair, the one thing you may need to work on is the height of the rotation point.

At the rear, the fabric is only screwed into the plastic feet of the chair, so something like a "U" bent piece of 1/2" EMT that could hinge/rotate down from the wheel chair's roll-back safety to the ice with screws to secure the fabric to the bar would keep the back down.  Put a pull cord on it so he can lift it up when he wants to move.

You'd need to find a way to either loose or move the patient push handles on the chair as they would get in the way of the flip over.

Once the flip over is down, the Pakshack is tightened up with two zippers to close it, they're at leg height to ground.  No stakes are needed if the person is already sitting in the chair, the weight will keep it down.

For mobility, outside of tracks, I'd look for a way to make Delrin (UHMPE, the sliders on the bottoms of sleds) runners for the front wheels or straight up replace the front wheels with mini skis/sliders like on a snowmobile.  Then, depending on what material the wheels were made of, I'd just stud the wheels up. 

Auger wise, I'd something like a 6" lazer (because the flutes on the auger are relatively short compared to the shaft length, the Nils seem to have more flutes on the auger, the Mora may have the least), lop down the shaft a good 10" or so with a porta-band until it's almost at the last flute, drill it and put something like a Nimrod adapter (it'll give you an extra 6-8" of shaft before the drill chuck) in the shaft secured with a grade 8 bolt and nylock nut.  Toss on a strap to secure the auger to the drill and you're done.   Put that with a good +18V drill and you'll have a good sized hole that's chair friendly.

Don't forget storage for tackle, something like a boat cushion to flop down on if you want to get on the ice, and a small catalytic style heater.

More ideas as they come to me...

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Thx for the thoughts, I'm tracking with you on this one

I own a popup  But, I've seen the Frabill's etc and thought I'd get him over to another guy's unit tomorrow when
we reconnect & see if he can transfer from his wheelchair to the seats inside the Frabill, Clam, etc. 

2x questions
  #1 If you do a cutout section (vs latched/fold down) in one area for a wheelchair to roll back into - would the units
        structural integrity be compromised   I noticed they're a hard shell bottom
  #2 With that opening, wouldn't it be a magnet for gathering snow and/or slush when being pullled?
         Maybe a cut out section that folds down? Any Flip Up owners who can comment?

Just asking...

If you cut out a section of the sled on a flip over, I would tow it out on the ice on top of a "Smitty Sled" (see past threds)..... lots of flip over owners are using this method today.

I think this would be the easiest way for him to get inside a flip over....without transferring from his wheelchair to the shelter....... just roll the wheelchair in backwards & flip the top.  You would, of course, have to remove any seats or obstructions inside the fl;ip over.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #65 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Both of you gave me much good to think about and research as well   Thanks
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline carcrazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:00 PM »
here you go 1 man pak shack $80 free shipping ebay item #130616512892 just search pak shack

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:21 PM »
I think the pak shack would be a perfect idea and easy to convert for his wheel chair!

Offline candyok

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:40 PM »
If the Pak Shack will work, Its on me. Let me know as so as you can, i'm heading for western MT to ice fish tomorow AM. will have my comp. with me but will be late night before I can check it.
A bad day of fishing with your dog, beats any day of doing HONEYDOS.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:42 PM »
Still need an auger?

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #70 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:52 PM »
If the Pak Shack will work, Its on me. Let me know as so as you can, i'm heading for western MT to ice fish tomorow AM. will have my comp. with me but will be late night before I can check it.

Heading to bed, so this is last post for the night -  First, like all others who post, THANK YOU for the heart behind the
offer as well as for the offer.

As for pak shack, I want to say yes but I was working with HT Enterprises on a whole package for Stewart - including
their 2 man flip over like the pak shack + an auger that has the drill conversion point with it   A concern came up for
the rep @ HT ENt. when I mentioned Stewart needs to have his chair nearby him in the tent.  He wanted some time
to come up with something else and will get back to me tomorrow or as soon as he figures it out.

I'd say hold off on this and have yourself a great time + a big catch in Western MT.  Stay tuned as this has become a
 whirlwind 24 hours I created for myself in helping Stewart - very busy doing this and day job, but definitely all worth
 it nonetheless.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:03 PM »
You guys are the salt of the earth! :bow: :thumbsup:

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:10 PM »
 ;D This subject should be on the main page for all to see all the time, If every member on iceshanty donated even one dollar to this cause then you could purchase anything you want for this man to get out fishing; You could get him a motorized portable with heat and everything.
Ice shanty members:39,223
One dollar per member:$39,223
two dollars per member:$78446
five per member:$196115

It's amazing what a small amount of generosity will do from everyone; Get a paypal account set up and lets go

;D

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:12 PM »
;D This subject should be on the main page for all to see all the time, If every member on iceshanty donated even one dollar to this cause then you could purchase anything you want for this man to get out fishing; You could get him a motorized portable with heat and everything.
Ice shanty members:39,223
One dollar per member:$39,223
two dollars per member:$78446
five per member:$196115

It's amazing what a small amount of generosity will do from everyone; Get a paypal account set up and lets go

;D

If this was Facebook, I would be all over the "like" button on this one  haha   ;D
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:24 PM »
STATUS POST:   Tuesday Evening Jan 3rd

A few diff. vendors' phone reps were not enabled to help out  AND I don't beat doors down 

Nils - instantly offered full support except their new cordless drill designed shaft product comes out next year - 
         Stewart needs help now  :icefish: THANKS NILS, PLZ SUPPORT NILS YOU GUYS!!!
Stanley,B&D, Porter - no word back yet from rep.
Nature Vision - unable to reach then for 2 man pak shack   seems they closed their doors, turned off their phones

HT Enterprises- HOME RUN  Great rep there who is all-in for helping out  putting together a package for Stewart
         Listen, for their receptiveness alone, I'll support them more than I have already - I'm a HT ENT customer
         So far, requested help with:  Jigs, Jig Case, Auger Shaft, 2 Person flip over (like pak schack), telescopic skimmer,
                                      long handle gaff (yep, I know of Colorado Regs & harm to fish), hanging light puck for tent,
                                      a couple of good rod/reel combos (he bought what he could afford - cheapos)
         They are looking into it

Many Shanty-ites have offered cash (paypal, etc)- Thx, let's keep the offers open along w/lines of comm. 
I'm holding off for now on these offers.  I honestly believe manuf. & vendors will come thru for Stewart
If you want to help him at the end of this cycle, I am not willing to stop you from doing so and will set
up different mediums + you have access to his contact info.

One offer of handmade jigs & lures came in, Stewart's going to love it  Thx

Physical fabrication offers from you other hardwater nuts are coming thru as well   I will collaborate w/all who offer up
usable ideas   Getting his chair or another one on skis is a really huge deal right now  One local in Denver is on it w/a
fab extraordinaire buddy in his words, Like White On Rice             hit a home run Troy!

Last thought for the night, Stewart will also need:
        high btu-capable propane lantern w/auto igniter if there are any extras out there
        a cordless drill (a local is working on drill w/Home Depot + snap-on +matco, etc)

If I didn't mention any offers made, forgive me / sorry - it's late after a long day
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:49 PM »
just found this post tonight so I don't know how far along you got with the wheelchair in but I'm putting a email into the adaptive physical education/outdoor recreation program at my school and it is one of the best programs nationwide to see if they have any ideas or suggestion with the wheelchair or anything else. It is winter break so they may not reply but there is a winter session going on so I'm hoping for the best. Will let you know how I make out!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #76 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:51 AM »
just found this post tonight so I don't know how far along you got with the wheelchair in but I'm putting a email into the adaptive physical education/outdoor recreation program at my school and it is one of the best programs nationwide to see if they have any ideas or suggestion with the wheelchair or anything else. It is winter break so they may not reply but there is a winter session going on so I'm hoping for the best. Will let you know how I make out!

Right on, Thx!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #77 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Just saw this now. What a great idea!!! Behind you 110%....I'll help all I can....know all about the disability/leg thing on the ice. Very little money, but I'm willing to send whatever you may need as far as reels, combo's, etc. that I can put together. Need tackle, lures, etc? Let me know....I know LOTS of people in the right places.... :whistle:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #78 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:17 AM »

PM'd you, go for it & thx!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Just saw this now. What a great idea!!! Behind you 110%....I'll help all I can....know all about the disability/leg thing on the ice. Very little money, but I'm willing to send whatever you may need as far as reels, combo's, etc. that I can put together. Need tackle, lures, etc? Let me know....I know LOTS of people in the right places.... :whistle:

Thx Rebel, keep it as a placeholder   MANY irons in the fire right now with manufacturers so hang tight & THX!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Great cause and idea's here, I will definitely be in for a donation.  Once an account is setup I can post this info on the two Colorado fishing sites I am a memeber of for some donation's if need be if that is ok with you.. 

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #81 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Great cause and idea's here, I will definitely be in for a donation.  Once an account is setup I can post this info on the two Colorado fishing sites I am a memeber of for some donation's if need be if that is ok with you..

Thx Ducati, appreciate the offer to help brother & yes, great idea you have on additional sites
As mentioned to others, I am keeping this above boards and not wanting to accept financial
help prematurely - these are tough times for all & I will not jump the gun / take a dime from anybody
til it all washes out.

One thing he spoke to me about on the ice is acquiring & setting up a summer fishing boat like he
had in Mississippi   So when we wrap up the ice fishing scenario with manufacturers & my giving -
if any interest continues with private parties - we can help him further thru set up of a fund and
all can give as they please towards the summer project.  JUST A THOUGHT... feedback welcomed
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #82 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:22 AM »
Improvise, adapt, overcome

I know a blind guy that goes ice fishing, most times he goes alone.
Crazy sob lol
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Thx MTH -  can you PM & we'll exchange personal email address and/or phone #s  I will call on my dime
I'd like to learn details of your setup and move this fwd asap so Stewart can independently fish sooner than
later   Appreciate your openness to help!

Sent PM with details... really inexpensive.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I've been thinking about this alot since reading this last night.

What's his mode of transportation to and from the lake?  I mean we have all these great ideas, but does he have the necessary vehicle/trailer to get all this to and from?

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:28 PM »
That would be amazing if we could get him that tracked chair, just think how many "normal" guys would be green with envy watching him tool around on the ice with that, I would gladly throw in twenty bucks for the cause. On the cordless drill I wonder if a cordless impact wrench would be better. I own both so Ill try to whip up some adapters for my hand auger and see if I can test the theory. Also I live in Greeley, and used to work in machining and fabrication in Denver, still have some contacts in the field there who I'm sure would be willing to help bang out some custom stuff for this guy. Pm and let me know how I can help and Ill play with the auger tonight.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline heavycat78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:32 PM »
This would be great but not sure if this company still exists(renegade wheelchairs). Thought it might give someone with some fabricating skills some ideas though. Love to see so many people willing to help out!

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:43 PM »
This would be great but not sure if this company still exists(renegade wheelchairs). Thought it might give someone with some fabricating skills some ideas though. Love to see so many people willing to help out!
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Now that's what I was thinking about when I was going through ideas in my head - that's awesome.  Especially the hand drive, unique and completely functional.  That'd be a great pattern to build off.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Best part is that if you make the front skis removable, you could easily put some nice pneumatic tires on there for all-terrain wheeling in the ice-less months.

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:58 PM »
HOLY COW! I found a frame just like that on cl this morning, been trying to get a hold of them all day. Had a similar idea but heck I can make that up with some old bike parts my kids have laying around. Cross your fingers I can get a hold of em and it will work for the man.
 Willie1280, I'm thinking the same thing about front wheels. Sure hope this will work and I can get it. What do you think neveruminda? Let us know when you all are done fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.