Author Topic: ice fisherman IN A WHEELCHAIR  (Read 12869 times)

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
ice fisherman IN A WHEELCHAIR
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:14 PM »
Any of you working thru this and retained your love of the sport? Give me a shoutout

First view this video thread of Stewart Macquillan!  First paraplegic to fly a helicopter thru his invention - Aeroleg
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/527164/first_paraplegic_flies_helicopter/

Today, I met Stewart a former UK Military pilot who had his back broken in an aviation accident & lost use of his legs.  He's 52, was invited by former President Bush to volunteer (No pay) his time to train disabled vets in US  He gets them into gliders @ USAF site.  He also helps other vets into helicopters so they return to flying and have opportunity for employment doing what they love.  As the video shows, he was the 1st to invent devices to allow himself & other disabled persons to fly a helicopter!

I got on the ice around 1pm & he was moving in his wheelchair to new holes (He uses ski poles and propels himself
across the ice  If there's snow he shovels ahead of himself)  He got to his spot, dropped out of the chair to the ice &
started making a ruckus opening holes WITH THE STRAIGHT END OF A PRY BAR because he does not have height to
operate Std auger.  Did I mention 30x guys were watching him doing this 4x times during the day & never offered to
help.  C'mon, really?  Let me tell you, these guys will appreciate & accept help... so get er done if you come across 'em!

I immediately went over to him w/the gas auger & offered help - He was humbled, but thankfully accepted help.  I
then asked him to allow me to lead him & take his gear to my honey hole   We did & he caught his 1st trout (& then
many more the next 4 hrs)  It was also the 1st fish of the day after 7 hours of not giving up trying! TRUE GRIT!!

He related today was his 1st time ice fishing so he showed up b4 sunrise so as not to embarrass himself getting on the
ice w/his wheelchair and ski poles.  He then used a cat's paw/pry bar to open other's old holes  He pulled off his gloves
to take off fish from the hook & his hands were bruised from the force(passion) he applied in order to open holes.

UPDATE 1/13/2012
Help me with a goal - this man lives on his pension only & needs technology to do more w/less effort.
I will to help him obtain the following (I will pay for it and/or seek donations to give it away to him):
    21V DRILL INFO - OLD MILWAUKEE is working thru Wounded Warriors Project to get this donation done!
    AUGER ADAPTER + SHORT SHAFT INFO - HT ENTERPRISES is donating this!
    SKIS RIGGED TO WHEELCHAIR - Ice Shanty Members are really stepping up to the plate on this one!
    FLIP OVER STYLE TENT- STILL REMAINS AN UNKNOWN???

Share any other known inventions for ice fishing w/disabilities?

Thanks guys, I believe something good is about to happen to a good man  I am meeting up w/him again on Wed.
and want to encourage him w/the good news that hardwater brothers are there for him. 
Are you up for this?
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline candyok

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice fisherman IN A WHEELCHAIR
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:35 PM »
  I don't have any good ideas, but if I can help you out with a little cash let me know. We need to help all vets.
A bad day of fishing with your dog, beats any day of doing HONEYDOS.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:53 PM »
  I don't have any good ideas, but if I can help you out with a little cash let me know. We need to help all vets.

Absolutely agree w/your position & thanks for the offer brother; in my book that speaks VERY highly for who you are!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:56 PM »
For an auger I would say find an old spoon auger and chop it down to the desired height and machine it to fit a drill, once a sharp spoon gets started it goes through good.

Maybe we should start a charity and get him one of these
http://www.trackwheelchair.com/

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:01 AM »
For an auger I would say find an old spoon auger and chop it down to the desired height and machine it to fit a drill, once a sharp spoon gets started it goes through good.

Thx, but remember using them in the 60s & 70s and always had to stoop to clean ice out of hole so auger could
keep cutting at its best performance level
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:02 AM »
Maybe with some help you could find a old fan-cooled ski-doo w/reverse. Grampas old nordic is awesome. If he could get on the seat sidsaddle you could mount milk cartons or boxes on the opposite runningboard so he could have all his gear within arms reach. Even If you could just find someone with the sled and convince him to let him borrow it once in awhile.

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Thx, but remember using them in the 60s & 70s and always had to stoop to clean ice out of hole so auger could
keep cutting at its best performance level

must be different somehow, cause my spoon auger once you get started it goes through easy, ice shavings just climb up the spoon and gives you a snowcone when you're through

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:06 AM »
must be different somehow, cause my spoon auger once you get started it goes through easy, ice shavings just climb up the spoon and gives you a snowcone when you're through

good to know, had an old Mora Steel spoon and that's how it behaved despite being laser sharp
What brand/model/diameter spoon did u use?  I have access to machine shop equip from a buddy
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:10 AM »
I think your idea of using a 21V or 18V hand drill is the best for this situation.  Just have to cut down a manual Lazer auger and weld on a fitting that mates with the drill........ should be pretty easy.  How about cutting out the side panel of a standard flip over so your buddy could just roll his chair into the sled and flip the top?

Come on guys...... Ice Fishermen are the craftiest people alive when it comes to designing gear for our sport..... I'm sure lots of you wsill have ideas that will make life easier for this guy!!!    Let's show him that we are ALL BROTHERS ON THE ICE !!!

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:11 AM »

Thats a cool idea!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:11 AM »

:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:  OUTSTANDING!   
Appreciate the post and will contact them in AM for details
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:12 AM »
where are you or this at?
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:16 AM »
Thats a cool idea!

He'd use it every chance he was not in the air or in a local school donating time to encourage others with disabilities
or educating the enabled about disabilities

Get enough brothers willing to get this done and I will set it up with a local bank
and next I'd post their contact information so you work w/them & it goes direct to an account
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:18 AM »
where are you or this at?

SOUTH OF DENVER, CO
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:22 AM »
how do you post pics here?  I have a pic from my time today with Stewart on the ice
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:23 AM »
good to know, had an old Mora Steel spoon and that's how it behaved despite being laser sharp
What brand/model/diameter spoon did u use?  I have access to machine shop equip from a buddy

It's 6" diameter and is blue w/ a red handle is all I can tell you off the top of my head... I'll go out and take better pictures of it in the morning.

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:24 AM »

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:31 AM »
read this for posting pics
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0

Thanks for the info

PS
 Just sent Johnny my personal info in an email to get in contact and obtain info on his track wheelchairs
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Here's Stewart in action - he transfers from wheelchair to a canvas style lawn chair he sits in
Since he can't feel his feet or legs and wants to protect his feet from the cold, he inserts 2x
hand warmers into each boot to cover the length of the foot!   LOL, keep em if you got em!

never complained once about moving that wheelchair across uneven ice with ski poles...

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:01 AM »
 Yeah, let's see what we can get rolling here!
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Mich Nimrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:17 AM »
I wish I had some ideas but I suck at modifying/inventing.  Although that is why I have friends who are good at these things.   I will check with them and let you know. 

Thank you for helping this man out, we need to do everything we can for our Veterans. 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:32 AM »
Definitely the track chair, if not a modified electric chair/scooter with screws in solid rubber tires to aid in traction. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:40 AM »
I think your idea of using a 21V or 18V hand drill is the best for this situation.  Just have to cut down a manual Lazer auger and weld on a fitting that mates with the drill........ should be pretty easy.  How about cutting out the side panel of a standard flip over so your buddy could just roll his chair into the sled and flip the top?

Come on guys...... Ice Fishermen are the craftiest people alive when it comes to designing gear for our sport..... I'm sure lots of you wsill have ideas that will make life easier for this guy!!!    Let's show him that we are ALL BROTHERS ON THE ICE !!!

Thx for the thoughts, I'm tracking with you on this one

I own a popup  But, I've seen the Frabill's etc and thought I'd get him over to another guy's unit tomorrow when
we reconnect & see if he can transfer from his wheelchair to the seats inside the Frabill, Clam, etc. 

2x questions
  #1 If you do a cutout section (vs latched/fold down) in one area for a wheelchair to roll back into - would the units
        structural integrity be compromised   I noticed they're a hard shell bottom
  #2 With that opening, wouldn't it be a magnet for gathering snow and/or slush when being pullled?
         Maybe a cut out section that folds down? Any Flip Up owners who can comment?

Just asking...
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:13 AM »
spoke with Nils  out in VT - great folks

Coming out in 2012/13 fishing season with a 6" wide, 2' long Auger for 18v or Higher Cordless Drills
They will also work on case-by-case basis with legit disabled veterans to lend a hand!  Nice!

Checked on their handsaw option as well and learned it requires a 3" wide pilot hole to get it started - dang
not sure I've seen any bits that wide?  You guys got ideas on that one?  The saw is about $130 per Nils
The call taker stated these take minimal effort to use, in his words -  let it do the job by just moving it up and
down
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:30 AM »
spoke with Strikemaster - they have nothing for cordless outside of the replacement auger shaft & then you modify at your own risk per customer service who does not recommend tweaking w/their products (HA!  better get over that one!).   Left message w/their suggestion line to see what they could come up with for a disabled vet!  C'mon, get er done!

Saw an adapter for the shaft to slip onto cordless drill (on Cabela's), but the reviews were pretty bad about it coming loose
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:46 AM »
A Nils would be the best choice. It is the most effortless hand auger to use. If someone could cut it short and and weld one of the cordless drill adapters. Maybe someone would be able create some short extensions that he could attach as he drilled to get through deeper ice. I think the important thing is that the auger is a Nils

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:06 AM »
A Nils would be the best choice. It is the most effortless hand auger to use. If someone could cut it short and and weld one of the cordless drill adapters. Maybe someone would be able create some short extensions that he could attach as he drilled to get through deeper ice. I think the important thing is that the auger is a Nils

x2 H26 - good friend in N.E. has one and believes thru experience it's the best out there
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Thx for the thoughts, I'm tracking with you on this one

I own a popup  But, I've seen the Frabill's etc and thought I'd get him over to another guy's unit tomorrow when
we reconnect & see if he can transfer from his wheelchair to the seats inside the Frabill, Clam, etc. 

2x questions
  #1 If you do a cutout section (vs latched/fold down) in one area for a wheelchair to roll back into - would the units
        structural integrity be compromised   I noticed they're a hard shell bottom
  #2 With that opening, wouldn't it be a magnet for gathering snow and/or slush when being pullled?
         Maybe a cut out section that folds down? Any Flip Up owners who can comment?

Just asking...

Instead of modifying a flip over sled and having another thing to haul around, why not make a flip over tent for his wheelchair? Just go where he wants, grab his drill, cut his hole, then flip the tent over. A little buddy heater would warm it up real nice in there. A couple rod holders mounted to the sides of the front of the wheelchair, maybe some kind of mount for a flasher somewhere. The only problem would be getting the skirt down to the ice on the back and sides without it dragging during transport.

If I was to modify a flip over to get a wheelchair in, I'd cut the notch out from the back Instead of the side and put a hinge on to keep snow out.

Does the guy like dogs? There's all kinds of places that do service dogs. They can pull stuff, and who doesn't need a dog to hang out with?
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Instead of modifying a flip over sled and having another thing to haul around, why not make a flip over tent for his wheelchair? Just go where he wants, grab his drill, cut his hole, then flip the tent over. A little buddy heater would warm it up real nice in there. A couple rod holders mounted to the sides of the front of the wheelchair, maybe some kind of mount for a flasher somewhere. The only problem would be getting the skirt down to the ice on the back and sides without it dragging during transport.

If I was to modify a flip over to get a wheelchair in, I'd cut the notch out from the back Instead of the side and put a hinge on to keep snow out.

Does the guy like dogs? There's all kinds of places that do service dogs. They can pull stuff, and who doesn't need a dog to hang out with?

Thx Griz! the service dog idea is pretty awesome!  I worked w/2x orgs this year as a volunteer  They are in/near Denver
and both provide service dogs    I just sent off emails to check if they offer vets grants - min. cost of trained dog is $8K
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:00 AM »
FYI  spoke with Marcum

They are glad to offer a VIP discount to disabled vets that must purchase direct from them - it is a VERY good discount!

NICE JOB MARCUM -SUPPORT VETS!
Owe No Man Anything...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.