Author Topic: ice fisherman IN A WHEELCHAIR  (Read 12874 times)

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
Re: ice fisherman IN A WHEELCHAIR
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:14 AM »
If a drill/adapter/auger set up could be used this is what I did to prevent dropping the auger if it was to come loose.
Not sure how to modify/shorten the auger it self. It is light and easy to handle.

Just a thought...

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Just came across this post. I had a very similar thing happen last winter. I was out fishing and saw a guy on the ice with a chair. I said to the person with me lets go meet him. We went over and met the person. I had my 6' Mora with a 18v. drill with me. I showed him how it worked and handed it over to him to try his hand at it. You know what HE DRILLED HIS OWN HOLES. Made our day and put a smile on his face.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:50 AM »
If a drill/adapter/auger set up could be used this is what I did to prevent dropping the auger if it was to come loose.
Not sure how to modify/shorten the auger it self. It is light and easy to handle.

Thx MTH -  can you PM & we'll exchange personal email address and/or phone #s  I will call on my dime
I'd like to learn details of your setup and move this fwd asap so Stewart can independently fish sooner than
later   Appreciate your openness to help!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Just came across this post. I had a very similar thing happen last winter. I was out fishing and saw a guy on the ice with a chair. I said to the person with me lets go meet him. We went over and met the person. I had my 6' Mora with a 18v. drill with me. I showed him how it worked and handed it over to him to try his hand at it. You know what HE DRILLED HIS OWN HOLES. Made our day and put a smile on his face.

Dude, you rock / you made my day!   PM me and send me info on your Mora & drill set up plz
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:59 AM »
www.freedomservicedogs.org   offers golden retrievers to vets @ N/C to them
Fill out application at their site, 1 to 1.5 year wait-list, they find dogs from shelters and work w/you to determine if it's a good fit between vet & pet   Training and placement begins!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Sent you a pm. Let me know what you think and what I can do to help, one thing to do is make him a Smitty sled for his gear, I pull 180lbs behind me with mine and it feels like 30lbs. We have an old wheel chair here in the yard, will see what I can come up with for ski's for it or something. I'll back ya up 110%. whatever I can do man!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:22 PM »
PM sent
Follow the bubbles...

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:23 PM »
I sent this pic to Neveruminder. It was my best catch of the season last year. One look at this guys face says it all.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:48 PM »
Good work guys, I could only hope that someone would still take me out if the worst happened.

Please let me know if you guys get anything setup for donations, a paypal account would be a good idea.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Tightlines01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Would it be possible to use a "Pak Shack" for a shelter?  I believe they are from Nature vision.  I remember seeing them set up at a Gander Mountain I went into a few years ago.  They are a bit harder to find now, but from what I recall it was somewhat like a predecessor to the hub style shanty.  What I'm thinking of appeared to be more of the fold up style hunting blind type of shelter that unfolded and you set a camp chair in to use for a seat.  Perhaps something like this could be flipped over his wheel chair.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Would it be possible to use a "Pak Shack" for a shelter?  I believe they are from Nature vision.  I remember seeing them set up at a Gander Mountain I went into a few years ago.  They are a bit harder to find now, but from what I recall it was somewhat like a predecessor to the hub style shanty.  What I'm thinking of appeared to be more of the fold up style hunting blind type of shelter that unfolded and you set a camp chair in to use for a seat.  Perhaps something like this could be flipped over his wheel chair.

Thanks TL   Great thought actually as he needs really lightweight gear that he can get in and out of prompty
The weight's a big deal and especially when we get into slush surfaces
do you recall if they had a useful method of screwing these to the ice like an Eskimo Quickfish uses
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Good work guys, I could only hope that someone would still take me out if the worst happened.

Please let me know if you guys get anything setup for donations, a paypal account would be a good idea.

I'd help any brother who wanted to fish and yeah, hope others have the same attitude and follow thru

Being a newb to setting up funds - how would most feel about paypal vs bank?   
Doesn't matter to me / I will gladly set up either one    I am truly grateful for offers coming in to help Stewart
you guys are awesome

Let's hear some feedback on this point of what type of medium to use for establishing a fund
     (for those desiring to pitch in and help)
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:41 PM »
Contacted Stanley Black & Decker   Spoke with Communications Dept (got voice jail)  requested help with cordless product for disabled vet!   I will let you know outcomes soon & positive outcome hopefully!!

Anybody else out there that wants to do any legwork on this - you will not offend me or Stewart so Dive In if you like
as some offers are coming in to do just that 

Trying to do my day job and respond to this so be patient plz  and thanks for caring !!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Kudos to you for doing this.  There should be more people like you out there.  Wish I lived by I would help in a second.  Willing to donate if there is a charity going to be set up.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:06 PM »
Contacted Stanley Black & Decker   Spoke with Communications Dept (got voice jail)  requested help with cordless product for disabled vet!   I will let you know outcomes soon & positive outcome hopefully!!

Anybody else out there that wants to do any legwork on this - you will not offend me or Stewart so Dive In if you like
as some offers are coming in to do just that 

Trying to do my day job and respond to this so be patient plz  and thanks for caring !!
A high Quality drill with good power is needed. I don,t think B&D is going to do that JMHO

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Kudos to you for doing this.  There should be more people like you out there.  Wish I lived by I would help in a second.  Willing to donate if there is a charity going to be set up.

Thanks RLNY   I am working on it now since there continues to be an outpouring of support   stay tuned!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:15 PM »
A high Quality drill with good power is needed. I don,t think B&D is going to do that JMHO

Never used one and was concerned a 21V might send Stewart spinnin' on the ice  YIKES!!!

Dewalt was no help so I'm running down what I can so far...
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:18 PM »
HT Enterprises has an open heart / ear and I sent them a wish list email and expressed gratitude for any help (ideas, discount, donations) they might provide    As stated, I will be putting in my own cash too.

I will let you know what they come back with - let's hope it's Christmas in January for Stewart!!!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline MHoneywell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:23 PM »
If something gets set up for cash donation, please post info, probably on another thread.  I feel cash donations may be best as there would be less duplication of efforts. Great works deserve Greeat rewards.

Milt Honeywell
Secure our future / Take someone fishing

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:07 PM »
If something gets set up for cash donation, please post info, probably on another thread.

Thanks Milt - it's looking great right now for help from HT Enterprises   Times are tough for most people
and corporations so any time others offer to help it shows well for them

Will keep you & others posted
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #50 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Any idea what the width of his chair is?

Offline JMJ IA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I'll make an adapter and do all the needed mods to an auger.  I'm a tool and die maker and have access to all the machinery to do this.  I've made several adapters and would be more than glad to whip up another for a great cause.  Feel free to PM me.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.  ~Author Unknown

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Any idea what the width of his chair is?

Thx, I will Text Stewart & ask   then post info
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #53 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Thx, I will Text Stewart & ask   then post info
Sounds good, I will do some research and figure out what shack might best be modded to suit him.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #54 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:44 PM »
I'll make an adapter and do all the needed mods to an auger.  I'm a tool and die maker and have access to all the machinery to do this.  I've made several adapters and would be more than glad to whip up another for a great cause.  Feel free to PM me.

done & as PM says,  THANKS a million!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline carcrazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:47 PM »
check this site out they mite beable to hook your vet up with what he needs http://www.outboundmobility.com/

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #56 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:56 PM »
check this site out they mite beable to hook your vet up with what he needs http://www.outboundmobility.com/

Thx, Yep been to all the sites b4 posting    closest help to MODIFY ONE'S EXISTING CHAIR is the replacement skis
for front wheels.  Already working on that one   He/Stewart wants to attach/detach from rear wheels

Again, thanks and keep 'em coming!  :clap: :thumbsup:
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Great thread, nice to see people helping out those less fortunate than ourselves. Just a thought, if you can get the gear together (auger, drill, skis) a local machine or welding shop might be able to help out to modify the gear to suit Stewart. This could be much more effective if a piece in the local news is secured, you'd be amazed what happens when things like this hit the news, win win all round! I'd be in for a paypal donation if someone can set it up.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #58 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Would it work to find a jet sled or Otter sled that the rear could be removed to allow him to roll into it. Then have some sort of locking device to hold it in place?

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:21 PM »
neveruminda,

Not sure how or where i can be off help, but I am an engineer and an ice fisherman.  If you come across something that you need designed and possible fabricated from plastic or something of sorts, let me know.  I'd love to help.

Shoot me a PM if you think of something.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.