Author Topic: Book on walleyes?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
Book on walleyes?
« on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Screwed up and posted this in the WI forum.  Cut and paste to here.  Sorry about that.

Just joined the site, and hoping to learn some and maybe I can pass on what I know (which isn't much). 

I've ice fished all my life for panfish and northern in northern WI.  Took a break years ago and did a little ice fishing in MT when I was living there, but nothing serious then moved on to NH where I did a lot.  Only summer fishing I do is out west on the trout streams.   I mention this so you know I don't know squat about walleyes, other than I do like to eat them <grin>.

Now I'd like to try to get some walleyes, but don't know anything about it.  Does anyone know of a good book that will teach me the basics.  Such as where on a lake to target, lures, presentation, time of the day, etc, etc....

And since I have you..... know of any good books on Crappies and Perch through the ice?

Thanks much,

gutshot
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Book on walleyes?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Sure do...there's a bunch of reading on the board you just posted in. And here's a couple more:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=37.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=40.0

Enjoy  ;)...................... ............ ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:43 AM »
This is the book I got a wallmart a few years ago:

Successful Walleye Fishing: The Complete How-To Guide for Finding & Catching Walleyes Year-Round (The Freshwater Angler) 
Dick Sternberg (Author)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll be going to Wallmart over the weekend (on my way to check ice conditions <grin>) and will pick up the book. 

I agree Iceassin, from the little time I have spent on this site, it's a wealth of information and I plan to be spending a lot more time here.  Just wish that I could get a wireless signal from the shack...

Thanks again.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Thank you RealDeal.  Amazon has some good prices on the book.  Appreciate the advice.

Thanks again,

GS

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:14 AM »
An old classic- Ice Fishing Secrets, published by In-Fisherman. Written by Al Lindner, Doug Stange, and Dave Genz. Late 1980's vintage, but I still take a look at this book just about every year, right about ice time.

I have this book and check it out a couple times a year. I also have the walleye and crappie books which explain in detail what each species does during the year, including the winter phases.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:52 PM »
I'll check out those books too tonebea.  Thank you for the help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.