Poll

How much should a ticket for having your licence but forgetting to carry it on you be?

$225
$100
$25
warning, then large fine
warning, then small fine
life in prison without perole
nothing
other

Author Topic: Forgetting your licence  (Read 10162 times)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Forgetting your licence
« on: Feb 26, 2007, 05:15 PM »
I posted this in the Alaska forum, officers tend to check fishermen more in the winter than in the summer in alaska(my experience).  please bear in mind that this happened in Alaska and that it by no means reflects all law inforcement.  Please keep any comments tasteful and respectful and please excuse my sarcasm in the story below:P

the actual amount is $225 for forgetting to bring your licence and have it with you on hand.  Most officers will let you off and just take your name down and give you a warning.  However when my wife and I went to hidden lake friday night we forgot our camera (her licence is in the camera case) and didn't realize it untill girdwood...we decided to have her fish anyhow (thinking what harm could be done).  She got checked by a US Fish and wildlife officer who ticketted her for not having a licence on her and made her stop fishing.  He proceded to kindly explain the law and his experience with it to us (using explatives  won't elaborate) and told us he would tear up the ticket (out of kindess of his heart) if she faxed him a copy of her licence in a week.  We had been checked by a trooper on the lake the week before (who was also on the lake at that time) and verified that she had a current fishing licence, but he didn't care.  He ended the conversation with, "I hope I didn't ruin your day"

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Forgetting your licence
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2007, 05:27 PM »
I posted this in the Alaska forum, officers tend to check fishermen more in the winter than in the summer in alaska(my experience).  please bear in mind that this happened in Alaska and that it by no means reflects all law inforcement.  Please keep any comments tasteful and respectful and please excuse my sarcasm in the story below:P

the actual amount is $225 for forgetting to bring your licence and have it with you on hand.  Most officers will let you off and just take your name down and give you a warning.  However when my wife and I went to hidden lake friday night we forgot our camera (her licence is in the camera case) and didn't realize it untill girdwood...we decided to have her fish anyhow (thinking what harm could be done).  She got checked by a US Fish and wildlife officer who ticketted her for not having a licence on her and made her stop fishing.  He proceded to kindly explain the law and his experience with it to us (using explatives  won't elaborate) and told us he would tear up the ticket (out of kindess of his heart) if she faxed him a copy of her licence in a week.  We had been checked by a trooper on the lake the week before (who was also on the lake at that time) and verified that she had a current fishing licence, but he didn't care.  He ended the conversation with, "I hope I didn't ruin your day"
  $ 225 is a pretty stiff fine for a person that has a license, Didn't the officer have a PC in his truck that he could have checked for the license??  $ 225 for a person that doesn't have a license I don't have a problem.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2007, 06:52 AM »
With the technology today, you shouldn't have to carry around every form if id, and license that you can possibly fit into your wallet.  Law enforcement has the ability to type in your name and get every detail on your life within minutes.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:17 AM »
With the technology today, you shouldn't have to carry around every form if id, and license that you can possibly fit into your wallet.  Law enforcement has the ability to type in your name and get every detail on your life within minutes.

Couldn't have said  it better myself. I agree a huge fine is in order if no license has been purchased.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:32 AM »
I think I am gonna have buy a bigger wallet to carry everything....From licenses, to firearm licenses, gun registration cards.....I need to carry a box with me all the time just to carry it all.....

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I clicked on $100 fine. It's small enough to be affordable if you're stupid enough to not carry your license and large enough to remind people that it is a law that you MUST carry it.

Personally I feel that most if not all penalties are way to lenient. You get caught with an illegal fish (oversized, undersized, over limit, etc.) first offense should be no less than $500. Second offense, permanent loss of hunting and fishing priveleges in every state and $1000's fine.
Pete Lewis

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:19 AM »
I clicked on $100 fine. It's small enough to be affordable if you're stupid enough to not carry your license and large enough to remind people that it is a law that you MUST carry it.

Personally I feel that most if not all penalties are way to lenient. You get caught with an illegal fish (oversized, undersized, over limit, etc.) first offense should be no less than $500. Second offense, permanent loss of hunting and fishing priveleges in every state and $1000's fine.
Until you are the one caught.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:20 AM »
Here in Quebec, licences are sold in many places: hardware stores, convenient stores etc.  Proof of purchase was not available to the conservation officers until much later in the year because the copies of the licences sold (and the money) was picked up after the season was over.

Now, the new system is like a bank machine.  You pay and you get a reciept.  The money and info is automatically sent to a central data.  However, the system is not in full operation yet.

No fines are given for forgetting your licence.  However, the conservation officer can demand that the hunter or fisherman produce proof of purchase when they get back to civilisation.

As for game tags, they must be attached immediately after the kill.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:24 AM »
I had to click "other".  My option of a warning then producing proof of purchase is not in one of the answers.

You can't cheat because the date and time are marked on the licences.

As a conservation officer, I caught a lot of people who bought their licence after they were controlled by me when hunting or fishing.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Until you are the one caught.

I have never and will never take or keep illegal fish or game. As far as forgetting my license, if I ever do then I deserve to be fined. I usually have a license from 4-5 different states and Ontario and always carry them all with me.

Yes, the officer can often get the info from a computer but it's not his job to do so. It is your job to carry the license.
Pete Lewis

Offline creel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:05 AM »
I believe in Pa. you have 24 hrs to fax it in.  John
thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others

Offline dsmatuska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Lucky Man.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:13 AM »
What's "perole?"

;D
I CAN clean fish.  My wife, on the other hand, prides herself in the art of filleting fish.  I mean to tell you, she can fillet ANYTHING, therefore I call myself "The Lucky Man."

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:18 AM »
I left my wallet in the truck one day and got checked by a conservation officer while on the pond.  I told him, it's in the truck if you want me to go get it and he said 'no, you don't need to do that'.  He was cool about it...now if I was breaking the law I'm sure he would have walked with me back to the truck to check it.  There is no law here that says you need to have it on your person, but like someone else already said, you need to be able to show proof of having a license within 24 hours.

Offline dsmatuska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Lucky Man.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:18 AM »
I have never and will never take or keep illegal fish or game. As far as forgetting my license, if I ever do then I deserve to be fined. I usually have a license from 4-5 different states and Ontario and always carry them all with me.

Yes, the officer can often get the info from a computer but it's not his job to do so. It is your job to carry the license.
If our taxes go to the administration of maintaining an electronic database regarding licensing we should be able to expect to use that technology to get us off the hook.
I CAN clean fish.  My wife, on the other hand, prides herself in the art of filleting fish.  I mean to tell you, she can fillet ANYTHING, therefore I call myself "The Lucky Man."

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:28 AM »

doc.
if you can afford 4-5 out of state/ out of country licenses and the time off to use them, $100 don't mean much to you.
god blessed you with the rewards of all your hard work.
theres a lot of folks that would be really hurt by a $100 fine,(the ones that buy $5 eyeglasses at walmart) especially if they are in compliance with the spirit of the law(bought license) but not with the letter of the law(have it with them).
there is room for discretion on the part of the officer.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:37 AM »
If our taxes go to the administration of maintaining an electronic database regarding licensing we should be able to expect to use that technology to get us off the hook.

It's not a matter of getting anyone off the hook.  If you purchased a license then it instantly goes into the NY state database and you're legal.  If not then you get a fine, ant that gets tracked in the database also.  The more times you get caught the more you pay.

Personally I feel that most if not all penalties are way to lenient. You get caught with an illegal fish (oversized, undersized, over limit, etc.) first offense should be no less than $500. Second offense, permanent loss of hunting and fishing privileges in every state and $1000's fine.

We have the technology in place, lets use it.  As far as your thoughts on fines and losing privileges, ask the Bosnians that are invading our local lakes if they have a license or care about the size and quantity limits.  I've seen them get arrested at one location and drive off to another only to do the same thing again, night after night.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:47 AM »
i think nothing. you should be able to prove within 24 hours that sounds pretty fair. after all none of us are perfect. but you shouldn't forget your licensce every time either. i was asked for my licenscw by thew warden on little ossipee in maine and it was in my car, he told me he would still like to see it so i walked back to my car got it for him and all was well. we shot the breeze for a while and he gave my kids some free ice cream coupons to mcdonalds. he's just doing his job. some of them are a little hard on people too as in the the story that started this topic.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:14 AM »
I know that my post sounds like I'm getting down on fish/game officers,  there are good officers out there, in fact probably the majority based on my experience.  The specific officer was a poor one based on the language he used in front of my wife and his untactful comments.  My grief is more with the penalty of the law and the severity of it in the letter.  The officer asked for my vehicle registration on the lake when it was my wife's violation.  I should be able to refuse because I committed no violation, but he writes a ticket for my wife and then asks for it.  So naturally if i refuse he won't tear up the ticket and I have to show up in court with my wife to support her.  It is a gross misrepresentation of the constitution and a matter of the KING's fish and game.  They set a law meant to give grace on and use it to bully the people by setting an ambiguous fine and practically make it a crime to lose track of a peice of paper which we pay $24 for!

What happens if you slip in the river or lose your wallet and your 50 miles from the nearest town? or any situation similar. Tell me your not going to fish.  well maybe not after the circumstance that happened to us, but I do know that it is alot easier said than done.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:05 PM »
225 dollars? For someone who bought a license? WOW! Just because you don't have it with you doesn't necessarily mean a fine is in order. If you are stopped in a vehicle, and don't have your drivers license or proof of insurance, you are given time to prove you had the proper credentials in place at the time of the stop.

For that matter, 225 dollars is extreme in the sense that possession of marijuana is a cheaper fine in Ohio.
Go figure.
Which do you think is the worser offence?
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:19 PM »
225 dollars? For someone who bought a license? WOW! Just because you don't have it with you doesn't necessarily mean a fine is in order. If you are stopped in a vehicle, and don't have your drivers license or proof of insurance, you are given time to prove you had the proper credentials in place at the time of the stop.

For that matter, 225 dollars is extreme in the sense that possession of marijuana is a cheaper fine in Ohio.
Go figure.
Which do you think is the worser offence?

the guy without a license
Pete Lewis

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:21 PM »
I think there should be a "get out of jail free card" for the first one or 2 instances.  It does make it more difficult on the officers to research a database cause you forgot to bring a piece of paper with you.  That being said...a license is nothing more than a physical symbol of your desire and duty to pay your fair share to enjoy the outdoors.  Here's an idea:  Put 2 warnings in for everyone.  To offset the cost of the extra work for the officers, make game violations that are blatant (not 1 crappie over 24 or some crap) a HUGE fine.  Give anyone caught fishing or hunting without a license a weekend in jail and $1000 fine...no questions asked and make it a minimum sentencing guideline.  Now we're getting somewhere.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:26 PM »
the guy without a license

Give me a break. The lady had a licence, paid for one, but just didn't have it with her. Thats a bigger offense the possession of drugs? Yea right.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:29 PM »
Give me a break. The lady had a licence, paid for one, but just didn't have it with her. Thats a bigger offense the possession of drugs? Yea right.

Shhhh.  I think he's high.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:36 PM »
  Thats one reason i love the lakes we fish here in N.B, they're tidal water lakes and we dont need licenses, although dfo does come around and check making sure other rules are being followed, such as limits and line numbers. I had a friend in the same situation while deer hunting, he had shot a deer and when he went to tag it realized he forgot his tag in the truck, on his way out he got stopped and the result was he was fined and had gun and deer siezed even tho he took the ranger to his truck. He was fighting it in court last i heard.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I guess up here in Northern maine I count myself lucky Our wardens are some of the finest Ive seen in yrs Most are avid sportsmen too and  Ive met alot of them and alot of them know me by name   heck some know exactly where I live   they are a weath of info  Just follow the law and you will never have a problem as far as forgetting your licence  I doubt a maine game warden would have you fined if you produced it in a reasonable amount of time    then again in all my years hunting and fishing in maine last time I was asked for it was 25 yrs ago   I dont think they ask to see it up here unless you have done something wrong           Personally I salute maines hard working Inland fisheries and wildlife folks  right down to the secretarys that field our calls for info    ps when ya got to court and produced a licence that was valid at the time of the incident it would be thrown out  im sure in maine
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2007, 05:15 PM »
I forgot mine once( was on the hat I left at home). I got a ticket but the guy said if I mailed him a copy in a week he'd rip up the ticket. He got his ticket and I never paid a fine. That was in NH.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline salmohunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2007, 05:24 PM »
I clicked nothing.... Your hunting & fishing fees are high enough. The wardens should be out pinching poachers that take more than the legal limits.... A sportsman should have to prove the warden within 48 hours he had a licence...
All fisherman are lier's....Except you and me....And I'm not so sure about you...

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2007, 05:50 PM »
I chose $25 fine. I think that fits the crime of owning a license and leaving it at home. Any more is unjust in my opinion.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:57 PM »
I chose the warning then a smallfine.  I keep my license in my wallet since that is legal in this state. In PA, if my memory serves me, one has to have it displayed. I always put it on my "fishing hat" and some times that hat might have been displaced. I can't remember as it has been several years since I have lived there.  Here in NY where the license doesn't need to be displayed, there isn't much excuse, but if the license is owned... there should be a warning, or maybe a fine that would be waived at the proof of prior purchase, just like a tail light ticket or headlight ticket. I am one of those that a 100 fine would be impossible for me to pay right now. I would have to really miss paying some bills...  things are tight, but not complaining just explaining.  Not I have never been without my license here in NY at least, can't remember PA, but the first time, I would hope that the officer would give me a chance or time to prove I had a license.  IF its repeated........ thats different. I thought I did forget it one time this year... scared me...  I thought I had left my wallet at home, which my wallet is always with me, but I thought I had taken it out of my pocket to change pants and then never put it back in.........  I couldn't feel it, bu tit was there thankfully.  Anyway that is my two cents, and Marijuana is way worse, especially for a license holder.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:10 PM »
What's "perole?"

;D

I think it's an Italian sandwich. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.