Author Topic: Hemlock & Canadice up for sale??? Protect your favorite lakes!!!  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
This was written by Bob Lonsberry and posted on his website. If any of you have ever been to Canadice Lake or Hemlock Lake, you know why I put this up. If you have a pristine protected lake in your area, you need to see this also.
My reply to it is at the end.
Also, you can post your two bits and here's the link:

http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=2091&go=4

STATE SHOULD BUY HEMLOCK AND CANADICE

The state of New York should buy Canadice and Hemlock lakes.

They should become state parks or state forest or a wildlife management area. But they should become state property and they should become state property now.

Here’s the background.

Canadice and Hemlock are two of the 11 Finger Lakes of Central New York. They were formed in the troughs plowed and dammed by glaciers long ago. What makes these two lakes unique is the fact that they are undeveloped. Unlike the other Finger Lakes, they are not circled by cottages, mansions, stores and roads. They are relatively pristine.

That’s because about 100 years ago the city of Rochester – some 30 miles to the north – bought the lakes and some 7,000 acres of their watershed. By 1950, any old homes or buildings along the lake had been removed and forest quickly grew back. Rochester has used drinking water from these two lakes since 1876 – the year of Custer’s Last Stand – and keeping them clean has always been in the city’s interest.

Water from Canadice Lake flows by gravity through a pipe to a treatment plant near Hemlock Lake. The filtered water then flows by gravity to the Rush Reservoir and on to a couple of other reservoirs in the city, where gravity eventually takes it on to homes and businesses.

But here’s the rub.

There’s a lake a lot closer to Rochester. It’s called Lake Ontario. And the Monroe County Water Authority gets its water there. The authority sells Rochester some of the city’s water and could sell it all of its water.

Which means that the city doesn’t truly need Hemlock and Canadice lakes. They are useful, but not irreplaceable.

But they are valuable. Immensely valuable. As developable real estate, the lakes and the land around them are a gold mine. Upstate New York is a huge target of foreign real estate investment and speculation, and rich developers from all over the globe would love a piece of these two virgin lakes. The sales value of Canadice and Hemlock lakes to the city of Rochester is immense.

And the city of Rochester is broke.

Not bankrupt broke, but looking-at-a-gut-wrenching-budget-deficit broke. And people are talking. The buzz is that there is a buzz. And while the city says it has no plans to sell the lakes, the mayor won’t rule it out.

In fact, the mayor – when asked – was very receptive to the idea of the state buying the lakes.

Which gets to the point of this column.

The city of Rochester has done an outstanding job all these years as a steward of these lakes. It is a truly monumental contribution to the region and state. But the lakes are a long way from the city, and hardly any city residents visit them, and the city can’t any longer afford to protect Hemlock and Canadice.

Nor can the city much longer resist the temptation to talk to big-money developers.

Not that there is anything wrong with development. But neither is there anything wrong with balance. And if nine of the lakes are being used for cottages and homes, then it doesn’t seem too extreme to hope that two of them could be preserved in something approaching a natural state. A cottage on a lake is a wonderful and enjoyable thing, but it’s not exactly nature. Preserving Canadice and Hemlock lakes would be a preservation of nature.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a tree hugger. I believe in development and I believe the natural world is there for our use and enjoyment. But we can also use and enjoy the outdoors in its natural state.

So the state should step in.

The state should buy the lakes from Rochester, saving both the city and the lakes from an uncertain future. The state should assume the responsibility for the lakes care and keeping.

Exactly how that is done, smarter people will have to decide. Whether creating a state park to shelter them and their watersheds would be best, or merely buying the area and designating it state forest, or whether there might be some advantage to calling it a wildlife management area – I don’t know.

But the value of the lakes and the land around them is undeniable. Eagles and ospreys fly there, native fish swim there, old-growth trees tower there. The area is a gem, and it ought to be used for something other than vacation mansions for foreigners and out-of-staters.

I think an argument can be made that this is also a good political time for this to happen. Eliot Spitzer, the new governor, could champion the purchase and take credit for it. That would help him burnish his credential with environmentalists – who already love him – and sportsmen – who are wary of him.

The fact is that the state of New York runs through money like it’s going out of style. The state routinely throws huge piles of money anywhere it can.

This purchase would cost the state, but it would also reward the state. It would preserve indefinitely into the future the diamond rings on the Finger Lakes.

And here's my rantings:

# 48. 2/22/07 7:39 AM by Rick Sniders - Webster, NY
Robert, Never in a million years did I think the city would ever have to entertain a concept so stupid as selling the Canadice/Hemlock watershed. But, through years of mismanagement and feeble ideas of grandeur; reality has hit home. The city is in dire straits financially. Why? See any article relating to Grady over the past 10 years. I am however, hopeful of the Duffy/Brooks management team for the county and city. The watershed is a priceless treasure in these times. The recreational value is the obvious benefit, but, there is also the legacy we leave our kids and future generations by preserving these gems. I have walked Canadice and Hemlock, ice-fished and summer fished both. I have hunted both in years past (although I don't hunt anymore). The bald eagles flying a mile up, watching their young fishing; is a spectacle to behold-40 minutes from a medium sized city no less. The pristine condition of the shoreline and the fact that there is an old growth forest at Hemlock, should be enough to deter a bad decision by the city, or have the state make a good decision. With the advent over recent years of internet exploration, I have found many great sites regarding Hemlock/Canadice history, that is amazing, to say the least. We would be doing a dishonor to ourselves and visitors (there are people that visit these lakes quietly) to allow this to be the next bad move by politicians. When do we step up and have our say in deciding our future and what we believe to be the right thing to do here? This could/would be the start of a very bad thing if we allow a decision to be made by individuals who have never even set foot at either site and determine our destiny? New York state residents, listen when I tell you, "Don't let this happen, we'll all be very sorry". Hell, I'll volunteer to take these politicians down there to explore and see and smell and feel the jewels that are Canadice/Hemlock.

Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline lundprov17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater, Turkey, Deer Nut!
 I personally have never fished those lakes, but have driven by pristine Hemlock and I wholeheartly agree with you..........they should be purchased by the state and made into wildlife areas or only state land. So others can have access and can hunt, fish, hike, or enjoy the remoteness. With all available and being developed, some places have to stay natural. It shouldn't even be turned into a camping area. :tipup:
I'm enjoying being outdoors!!!!!!

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
.Hey Mr. Sodus,
Great post.  As a resident of the town of Canadice (living on Honeoye Lake) I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said.  These lakes are a treasure that should not be squandered.  
Believe it or not though, when I mentioned this to other residents of towns bordering the lakes, I got resistance to that solution.  It seems that the city pays a fair amount of property tax on these lands and the residents are worried about sizeable tax increases on their own properties.  Hopefully, if the state steps in, they will consider some relief for the towns in that regard.
Other groups, such as the Finger Lakes Land Trust group are also active in preserving the area, so we have many allies to our cause.
We should all let our elected officials know how we feel about this issue.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Is there a petition yet !
This would be a travesty to let happen and get into the wrong < Developer's > hand's !

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
I would think that as a group (IceShanty); we could make a hell of an impact on Lonsberry's site if EVERYONE voiced their opinion.
And if there were a petition started, I would be happy to spread the word.

ANY development would be devastating.

Stay up on this one folks, it ain't even started yet...

Could a moderator put this on multiple forums please?  This issue is rather important.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
the problem is that developers buy up all the shore property
the wealthy buy it from them and build unsightly Mansions to block the view of ther lakes
and then us the tax payers cant use the shore line because its all posted
I fish Deep creek maryland and its hell trying to find a place to park and access the lake for ice fishing
I hope you new yorkers have luck in  preventing the loss of these lakes to money hungry developers 

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
Let's hope so, OyBoyRoyBoy and I watched two bald eagles along shore for an hour Wed, and it was way cool. THAT won't happen if there's a whole bunch of new houses there.
Just amazing this close to Rochester and what a spectacle to see.
I certainly hope they work out a different plan...

JJ

We see bald eagles around Lake George, and there are plenty of houses along the shore. Not that I wouldn't like to see these lakes preserved in their present state. Interestingly, I just read an article discussing some of Gov. Spitzer's budget proposals, which include a significant increase in funds for the purchase of land.

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
Let's see if the administration spends what Pataki spent on conservancy.
Fished the south end, slowest day in a week. Good times though; got to see the bald eagles hanging out for the third time this week. They are so cool. What a gem this lake is.

JJ

Believe it or not Spitzer plans on spending more than Pataki did. Bet you also didn't know that his plans for the DEC include hiring six more fisheries biologists, dedicated to the promotion of fishing. By the way I am not a Spitzer fan, but was pleasantly surprised by this information I found in the latest NY Outdoor News.

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
That's great news!
Watched a young lad pull 3---5# largemouth out of Hemlock Sunday also.
Kid had great technique and patience. He was with his dad, who obviously taught him well.
Nice to see.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.