Author Topic: police checking licenses  (Read 10290 times)

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: police checking licenses
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:05 PM »
alas, but as a law enforcement agent i am also required to show proof of identifaction apon request..so flip it on them..ask to see there proof of employement/badge...if they are a real law enforcement agent they will show because anything they do after that refusal will be dismissed in court.

lol flock, I dont mind showing my fishing license to anyone. I try to keep things legal

but if im ever suspicious ill give it a try
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

walleyechaser

« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:06 PM »
Everytime we've been checked the CO will open his coat up like some cowboy to reveal his badge.

Actually the guy we have in our area is pretty cool ;D  
Never has an officer of the law requested anything from me without first showing his badge.  

flockshot

« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:09 PM »
lol flock, I dont mind showing my fishing license to anyone. I try to keep things legal

but if im ever suspicious ill give it a try
its completly legal...if you feel someone is giving an unusually hard time, like the guys said a few posts back about peta hounding people, then ask. its fully required to show proof if asked..if they cannot show you such proof..like a badge, card(they usually have bagde number and agency on them) tell them to take a hike..

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:11 PM »
Everytime we've been checked the CO will open his coat up like some cowboy to reveal his badge.

Actually the guy we have in our area is pretty cool ;D  
Never has an officer of the law requested anything from me without first showing his badge.  

the local guy up north is really cool too. Well talk for 45 minutes sometimes. He was voted the something like the best CO officer in the state last week.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:34 PM »
In Ontario the police cannot ask you to produce your fishing liscense. Only COs can ask you to produce it.  Now the cops could hold you there and call to have the COs come out to check.

You sure about that fish_boy?

I have been asked by the O.P.P for my fishing licence twice.  They even boarded or boat and checked out out livewell.  I would be interested in knowing if this was illegal or not.  I just assumed they were allowedsince they are law enforcement as are the CO's?

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:36 PM »
with the CO's cut budget alot of the OPP are giving them "tag along rides"  are you sure it wasnt a CO with an opp

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:51 PM »
with the CO's cut budget alot of the OPP are giving them "tag along rides"  are you sure it wasnt a CO with an opp

100% sure.

Both in OPP "boating" attire. One guy and one smokin' hot girl!

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2007, 04:01 PM »
I got hit up by an OPP officer during the opening week of pike/crappie on a lake in Kingston. I was the only guy on the lake and the OPP pulls up beside my canoe and it takes about 5 minutes to pull me over, he asked for all my saftey gear inspected the canoe for fish and or booze and asked for my license...It was two OPP officers in uniform in an OPP boat. All was fine they were polite just doing there job.

The only thing that bothered me was as they pulled away they told me to watch fishing near the shore becuase Bass was not open yet? I wonder what he would have said if I was fishing from the shore  ???

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2007, 04:42 PM »
one of the best ones was, my dad, my uncle and I were on our pontoon boat fishing peacfully anchored up in the weeds. CO officer comes over to us and checks our licenses while at the same time, a pontoon boat with about 12 drunks are driving by, the front of the boat was barely above the water. Nope he continued to check us for lifejackets :blink:

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2007, 04:49 PM »
I'm a transportation enforcement officer with the MTO, and if the provincial gov't mandated that the Ministry of Transport start enforcing the Fish and Game Act, then MTO officers would be checking fishing licences as well. MTO, MOE, and MNR are all provincial officers but CO's also enforce federal regulations, as do the police. The police do enforce federal regs as far as the Criminal Code of Canada is concerned, but I've yet to hear about a police officer in Ontario enforcing federal Wildlife regs. Perhaps the RCMP do since they're federal.

There's a fine line between federal and provincial regulations. Provincial regs include fishing licences in which case any provincial offences officer may enforce if so mandated by the government.

Federal regs are a different kettle of fish (pun intended), like poaching for example. CO's would enforce that.

Cheers, Rick.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:15 PM »
I got hit up by an OPP officer during the opening week of pike/crappie on a lake in Kingston. I was the only guy on the lake and the OPP pulls up beside my canoe and it takes about 5 minutes to pull me over, he asked for all my saftey gear inspected the canoe for fish and or booze and asked for my license...It was two OPP officers in uniform in an OPP boat. All was fine they were polite just doing there job.

The only thing that bothered me was as they pulled away they told me to watch fishing near the shore becuase Bass was not open yet? I wonder what he would have said if I was fishing from the shore  ???

So, basically, you're NOT down with OPP? I AM down with OPP, yeah, you know me. About 99% of the people on this site won't get that, but oh well.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2007, 05:09 AM »
So, basically, you're NOT down with OPP? I AM down with OPP, yeah, you know me. About 99% of the people on this site won't get that, but oh well.

munk? ???

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:02 AM »
munk? ???

It's a song. I can't remember the name of them but they're more of rap style group.

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2007, 07:30 AM »
munk? ???
Monk is OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) ;D ;D

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:04 AM »
In Michigan you are required to have it on your person at the time you are fishing.....it is the same idea behind having your drivers license in your possesion, its not just having the lic. but having it on you when you are engaging in that activity. and Yes, In Michigan Any Certified Police Officer can ask to see any type of Sportsman License, they just dont have the Experience of knowing the Limitations of say a fur trader...A CO in Michigan has Full Law enforcement Powers, Plus added Conservation knowledge and enforcement powers.  I know quite a bit about conservation laws being an avid sportsman, however, I generally will call on a CO for anything more than fishing w/o a lic as they know Exactly what can and cant be done...

btw...February 17th & 18th is Free Fishing weekend....take someone new fishing....and let them enjoy the outdoors

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:08 AM »
This past year out on Reeds Lake, I did that once..Not checking out someones Liecense..But, wanted to see if they were catching any fish..lol

I walked upto a couple of guys and said Directly to them..

" OK, LET'S SEE THE FISH".

They showed me...Usually you ask someone and they'll say.."Were not catching very many" or " Only Small Ones", etc..

They had some nice gills in their bucket, when one guy looked at me, he said...Are you the law? I said..." Nope..Just a LOUD Fisherman.." lol

They just laughed, and we all had a cup of coffee together.

Stan

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Monk is OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) ;D ;D

yea and the song at the begging says something like "whos down with OCD (rap version)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2007, 05:07 PM »
The song is OPP by Naughty By Nature. It was very popular in the early 90's. I graduated HS in 1993, I was one of those annoying HS kids that had subwoofers in my car. Rap and Country were my favorite thing to drive everyone in town crazy with.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:56 PM »
This past year out on Reeds Lake, I did that once..Not checking out someones Liecense..But, wanted to see if they were catching any fish..lol

They showed me...Usually you ask someone and they'll say.."Were not catching very many" or " Only Small Ones", etc..

They had some nice gills in their bucket, when one guy looked at me, he said...Are you the law? I said..." Nope..Just a LOUD Fisherman.." lol

Stan
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:57 PM »

Stan
lmao. The joys of ice fishing.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #50 on: Feb 28, 2007, 12:50 AM »
In Ontario the police cannot ask you to produce your fishing liscense. Only COs can ask you to produce it.  Now the cops could hold you there and call to have the COs come out to check.

yup agree with you... had it happen to me.... lost my license plate on my trailor... got pulled over in northern ontario  by the OPP and had to wait half an hour for the CO cuz the officer saw we had some fish

it was a couple of years ago so maybe that has changed

Offline d-iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:24 AM »
Here in Iowa you are required to show your license
to " any conservation or law enforcement officer or
the owner or person in legal control of the land or
water you may be fishing." I guess that would exclude
the peta whackos.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Hey I'am not hiding nothin, if they want to come out and check me for a licence, all the power to them.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:03 PM »
Hey I'am not hiding nothin, if they want to come out and check me for a licence, all the power to them.

right with you on that. I dont mind doing it the legal way

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:25 PM »
i got a liscensce so i don't care.... now about why my car seems to be sagging aound the wheel wellls thats another question :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.