Author Topic: Wierd tactics  (Read 1737 times)

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wierd tactics
« on: Feb 24, 2007, 04:46 PM »
Whats out there for tactics some would consider really strange, and what have you tried when nobody was looking. I'll fess up. A wind up alarm clock in a mason canning jar on a line to the bottom. The tic tic is suppose to call em in! I was young. Can of catfood punched full of holes on the bottom for chum. Or, instant structure. Tie a bunch of small cedars together, weight  w/a stone, cut a large hole, send it to the bottom. I tried that at 14 years old, only thing I got was hung!

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
Re: Wierd tactics
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2007, 04:50 PM »
Back home a while back a guy would leave old beater cars on the ice to go through when it thawed in spring. Pretty good spot for gators now.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2007, 06:52 PM »
I once took a 1 gallon glass jar, attached a rope to the lid, and filled it with water, a dozen live minnows and a glow stick and then lowered it to the bottom and jigged next to it. I never got a bite. Does'nt this sound like it should work? I was sure it would, but it didn't.

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2007, 07:19 PM »
Back home a while back a guy would leave old beater cars on the ice to go through when it thawed in spring. Pretty good spot for gators now.

Pretty much terrible for the fish and the environment, a huge thumbs down on that one.  If I saw someone do that I would report it and hope for jail time.  If you do that in Canada you're either paying many thousands to retrieve them or going to jail, or both!  (BTW I realize it wasn't you)

>:(

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2007, 09:49 PM »

Theres several towns that do this and sell tickets for people to guess the date in which the car will fall through. The winner gets the money or a prize, the car is then pulled back out. Spirit Lake or Okoboji Iowa does this I know.

Offline titeline22

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I`am not back by sundown.... Just wait longer !
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:06 PM »
hey putback ,my friends dad did the same thing but with a ticking timer out of a safe(he`s a locksmith) with the same results , nothing. He was so sure it would work. it was all he talked about that day, and we haven't heard about it since.  ;DLOL

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:06 PM »
I would think the ticking thing would work well for smallmouth bass. I do know from 1st hand experience that while diving in smallmouth bass waters, if you bang 2 rocks together smallmouth will gather.
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:34 PM »
Oatmeal down the hole.

Not sure if it really works or not.  We catch fish all the time so it was difficult to say if the oatmeal worked.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:45 PM »
I used to know this old Japanese man pour a cup of hot tea into the hole before he started fishing. I think it was superstition of some sort. If I remember his explanation correctly he was sharing tea with the lady of the lake.  :-\
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:54 PM »
I once took a 1 gallon glass jar, attached a rope to the lid, and filled it with water, a dozen live minnows and a glow stick and then lowered it to the bottom and jigged next to it. I never got a bite. Does'nt this sound like it should work? I was sure it would, but it didn't.

When I was a kid we went to Fort Peak Montana and checked out the spear fishing.  They use a gallon mason jar with a huge sucker minnow in it as a decoy

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:22 PM »
i don't think theirs such a thing. as long as it works people will give it a shot. i know i wouldn't care how weird it seemed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.