Author Topic: Ford F150 2.7 ltr Eco Boost & fish house towing  (Read 2884 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ford F150 2.7 ltr Eco Boost & fish house towing
« on: Mar 25, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Is it crazy to think a 2.7 will tow a 5000 lb fish house without problems? Reviews are great on the 2,7's and I only tow the house a few times a year but I've heard they do well and that they don't. Any body have a 2.7 that can say for sure? I know they are available in 3 different frames with the LD being the most common. My house to Red Lake Mn is about 3 hours and I want to be safe.

I know the 3.5"s tow fantastically but I found a great deal on a 2.7.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ford F150 2.7 ltr & fish house towing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2019, 08:47 AM »
I don't know for sure, but I'd have a hard time comprehending how any full-size pickup like a F150 would be outfitted with a powertrain not capable of towing 5,000 lbs.  I'd have to think you'll be fine, but I'd check the owners manual for the specs. 

A quick Google search says it's rated for 8,500lbs.  Crazy the amount of power they get out of these small engines!  I say go for it.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Is it crazy to think a 2.7 will tow a 5000 lb fish house without problems? Reviews are great on the 2,7's and I only tow the house a few times a year but I've heard they do well and that they don't. Any body have a 2.7 that can say for sure? I know they are available in 3 different frames with the LD being the most common. My house to Red Lake Mn is about 3 hours and I want to be safe.

I know the 3.5"s tow fantastically but I found a great deal on a 2.7.

I have one. No Problem!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2019, 09:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQGYJCG65E

They're towing 7200lbs up a 7% grade with no problems.  Looks like you'll be fine. 

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Ford F150 2.7 ltr Eco Boost & fish house towing
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2019, 10:53 AM »
Theres no replacement for displacement. A little engine is just that, a little engine.
5k is not much to haul you should be fine.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:02 AM »
I have one as well. You will have on problem. I tow trailers and boats through the mountains all the time without issue.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:35 AM »
I think it would tow it with no problem. With a 5,000 load behind it stopping could be a problem unless the ice house has brakes.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I think it would tow it with no problem. With a 5,000 load behind it stopping could be a problem unless the ice house has brakes.
LOL that would be something to see coming at you in the rear view mirror!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:50 PM »
No experience with the 2.7. I have a transit 250 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. The engine is a straight beast. Always in the power curve. That said the 3.5 in my van is detuned to about the 2.7 power levels of the trucks so I can comment in that regard. I think you will be fine. I have a f250 with a 6.2 for towing. Low end the 6.2 feels like a dog compared to the 3.5. Once it is revved out the 6.2 comes to life and has plenty of power. I wouldn't be afraid to pull 5000lb with that 2.7.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2019, 01:01 PM »
LOL that would be something to see coming at you in the rear view mirror!
Keep it safe! JDL
I do my pulling with an F250. It has lots of braking power and will pass everything but a gas station.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2019, 03:07 PM »
I have the 2.7 eco and pull my 6000 lb boat and trailer you know it’s there  but it’s ok to do get about 12 mpg

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:40 PM »
 I’ve done quite a bit of research today and found there should be no problem with the towing. The one thing that does worry me a little bit is that I saw an awful lot of articles about the carbon buildup on the valves. Now that some of the eco’s are getting miles on them they’ve developed quite a problem with the turbos.  That all seems to be solved on the second generation Ecos On the new trucks. Thank you for your responses.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2019, 07:42 PM »
I’ve done quite a bit of research today and found there should be no problem with the towing. The one thing that does worry me a little bit is that I saw an awful lot of articles about the carbon buildup on the valves. Now that some of the eco’s are getting miles on them they’ve developed quite a problem with the turbos.  That all seems to be solved on the second generation Ecos On the new trucks. Thank you for your responses.

Honestly how long do you plan on keeping it? I wouldnt sweat carbon build up unless you plan on running it for 10 years.
How often are you planning on towing 8-10 times per year?
Or just get the 5.0 and dont sweat if its going to be able to pull your trailer.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:53 AM »
I have a 2018 2.7L. I love that truck more than anything, it has been so awesome in the year I’ve had it. I don’t have a fish house but I do have a 21’ glass bass boat that I towed everywhere all summer and it didn’t even hesitate a beat. Good gas mileage for a truck as well, 20-22 highway and 15-16 towing.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:38 AM »
I had a half dozen of these trucks in the shop already with bent valves from carbon build up on the intake valves...  I had one in a couple a weeks ago that hung open a valve and stuffed a piston into it... 6 grand in damage on a truck with 70k miles. Ceramic bearing turbos is a whole other issue... if I were going to buy an f150 I would only consider the 5.0, the coyote motors are solid and handle abuse...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:01 AM »
800Stealth, how long/miles does Ford cover the turbos and valves under warranty? I can't afford newer than about 2015, maybe 16, so both will be the older engines with the exhaust and old turbo placements. This is going to be bigger news than people know as most are just getting up in miles. Ford has ALL their eggs in the gas turbo basket like Ram does on the diesel turbos, kind of makes you wonder why Chevy just stands pat on the V8's for the most part. I'm old school and do agree with the No Replacement For Displacement theory but times are changing. If the far left politicians get their way there will be ZERO fossil fuel sales after 2015.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:23 AM »
I don't know what Ford is covering... I'm an independent shop, but I've seen them as low as 70k in my shop for valvetrain problems and I've seen carbon related misfires as low as 40k... all these problems stem from being direct injected... the intake valves never see fuel so there's nothing cleaning them, some manufacturers are having better luck with direct injection.. mainly big v8s with big intake valves seem the least effected. The small engines with small 4 valve heads are taking the worst of it.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:25 AM »
They changed the injection process in Gen 2 too didn't they?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Most of their fixes have been bandaids in the form of computer reflashes... the big problem is in head design with direct injection. I wouldn't expect significant changes until a new motor is designed.  Chevy just went to a big inch 4 cylinder turbo for an option on the silverado, Ford and dodge will likely follow soon.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2019, 03:13 PM »
800-I have a dealers licence that allows me to buy vehicles at auction. Is there anyway to check the health of a turbo ford quickly for valve health? Any weird sounds?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Not really any quick checks, the problems will start with a random misfires at idle. The only way to really verify carbon concerns is to pull the intake manifold and get eyes on the intake valves. Around here the auction houses don't even let you start cars, let alone hook up scan equipment or start doing cylinder leak down tests.
If it runs smooth and quiet, you can always figure in $500 extra to have the intake pulled and the valves and intake ports cleaned once you've bought it to give yourself piece of mind for the next 40-50k miles.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:00 PM »
We can start and drive them, 1707 vehicles at the one tomorrow if I go but truck availability is the lowest I've ever seen it. This one is for me so I'm quite a bit pickier to get just what I want. Thank you for all the info.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2019, 01:57 AM »
I have a 2011 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost. First set of plugs (since I owned it) went out around 55k , just had a second set go at 80k both due to Carbon. I use it like a truck, I pull my Jeep and quads, JD tractor, and boats. I do construction and landscaping so tons of gravel and dirt, loads of plywood and concrete, handles it like a champ. I came from a 2500hd and it was a gas guzzling, rough riding turd compared to the F-150. I've never been accused of being gentle to a vehicle, and this thing has held up to everything without a complaint, will be upgrading to a new lariat sometime this year.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2019, 11:08 AM »
For pulling its real hard to beat a ford. Chassis are tough.
Tundras are good too, but horrible mileage and they seem to rust quicker than most.

Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
800stealth
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2019, 01:22 PM »
Hey 800 so what is the proactive way of dealing with carbon? I have a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 beast and
tow quite a bit boat etc. Do you spray the valves every 50k miles or ?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: 800stealth
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Hey 800 so what is the proactive way of dealing with carbon? I have a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 beast and
tow quite a bit boat etc. Do you spray the valves every 50k miles or ?

Seafoam through the intake works but it needs to be done right.  I also run it in my gas. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.