Author Topic: CRACK!  (Read 1971 times)

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
CRACK!
« on: Nov 21, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Just reading through some of these safety threads and it reminded me of something...

Is there anything better than the look on a noobie's face when the ice lets out a loud CRRRRAAACK, the bucket/shelter jumps and a big crack runs right through the hole?!?!!?  No Way!  Priceless!   :woot:  :clap:  :roflmao:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: CRACK!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2013, 04:15 PM »
Or if they're sitting on a folding camp chair, the ice lets go and they jump up thinking the ice is falling, when it actually drops a fraction of an inch?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Actually I can think of something better.
Watching the look on the sports faces when the pilot runs a fuel tank dry while flying into one of our fly outs.  :whistle:
It gets real quiet when the engine isn't running anymore.
  ;D

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2013, 04:32 PM »
Just reading through some of these safety threads and it reminded me of something...

Is there anything better than the look on a noobie's face when the ice lets out a loud CRRRRAAACK, the bucket/shelter jumps and a big crack runs right through the hole?!?!!?  No Way!  Priceless!   :woot:  :clap:  :roflmao:

then the weeds start moving towards shore [lake St Clair] in the spearing hole  ;D

SnoHam13

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Actually I can think of something better.
Watching the look on the sports faces when the pilot runs a fuel tank dry while flying into one of our fly outs.  :whistle:
It gets real quiet when the engine isn't running anymore.
  ;D

There ever any "spots" on the seats when they leave??  :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:15 PM »
i seen that last year with college kids, ice was 3 1/2 to 4 inchs, clear.  They all were creaping out, thinking OH..Sh..  One was freaking a little.
Then all went into a hub style, 4 or 5 and fished????

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I remember being out on the ice once while in High School.
Across the lake was a foster home for kids. I don't suppose any of them had icefished before.
We had a bit of frozen over overflow on the lake that year maybe 3" of water then over 2' of solid good ice.
 A couple of these foster kids decided to cross the lake as it was a shortcut to the store that was visible from the lake.
They got 2/3 of the way across and they started breaking through the frozen crust of the overflow and freaked out. They thought they were falling through the ice and would drown.
They failed to ask us how thick the ice was as we were only 100' away from them.
It was hilarious to watch these kids freaking out and yelling out "were gonna drown" "run faster you idiot" etc. etc. all the while stumpling across the ice like a couple of drunk clowns.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Top of hole @ 32 seconds....

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Scotia_Hunter/media/004-8.mp4.html?sort=3&o=103

15 mins later it opened to 3in. wide....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:00 PM »
My wife was sitting in a chair and the ice cracked and it ended in her ice hole. She jumped up and was about to run when I told her it's OK.
<===Lefty===

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2013, 08:55 PM »

It's funny now but we were all at that stage before. Some never get over it!
Fish on!

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2013, 08:59 PM »
I'm an ice veteran and sometimes they can spook me. I spent the night in my shack on Upper Red Lake a couple years back. About 3 am, we could hear this sound coming across the ice. It got louder and louder and when it finally got to us it sounded like a freight train and shook like an earthquake. I had to step outside to see if my truck was still there, haha.

Then again maybe it was just the Budweiser?  ;)

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:41 PM »
Been one ice for thirty years and I good crack still makes me jump the first time or two out its just a reaction some people have and true it's funny especially when someone runs
Never to many short poles

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:47 PM »
It reminds me of last year on early ice we had a bunch of newbies fishing next to me in a big command post hub shelter and the wind was coming up a little and I screwed an anchor in the ice and it cracked right threw there shelter and I heard a big commotion and one guy ran and got in his truck and left I asked the others that were fishing with him and they said that they thought he had to go and change his pants LMAO  :roflmao:  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Never to many short poles

Offline Crappie slayer 36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Lol!! Love that. Reminds me of my girlfriend the first time she braved it out on the ice with me. It let out a big crack and she wouldn't let me go for a good minute lol!!!!!

Offline Swampstud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2013, 01:27 AM »
Ive ice fished for years but im always on edge up until 5-6inches or more. One year though we had great ice but a warm january brought rain. Once everything froze up good a buddy and I went out fishing. We hook up the jetsled to his honda big red, we both hop on and make our way around shoreline because of a big darkspot out in the center, all of a sudden the ice cracks, falls aparts and water comes up. Before the jetsled could slam into the back of the 3 wjeeler I was already off and running, probly crapping my pants to. I look back and its all floating in 7-8inches of water, I soon relized we hit a water pocket that froze over.   Even though there was plenty of ice below the water I still went runnin lol           

I do remember when I was 16 these guys were shooting a channel with sleds, a group of 10-12 people decided it was a good oppurtunity to all jump, the ice made a nice crack, dropped a bit and my buddies and I went runnin then too.     Haha           
Keep those hooks sharp, or watch em swim away!

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:09 AM »
I must say I'm always on edge for loud noises after doing a bit of time in Iraq (Air Force), but not bad.
However, I took my buddy that was Army infantry out ice fishing one year and the forces of man and nature were against him.
We were fishing a lake near a ski resort that was setting off charges for avalanche control. They were distant but anyone who as served knows it hits you subconsciously.
About the second or third charge that went off coincided with the first sun hitting the ice and we were sure WW3 had kicked off right under our feet.
First time I've seen a full sprint and superman dive at the nearest rock protruding through the bank, but I more than understand why.

Cheers

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:11 AM »
i am from toronto Got confused wrong Topic here.  thought we were talking Mayor

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Even with years of ice experience behind me I still pay attention to the sounds of the ice.
Not out of fear or apprehension, but out of respect and admiration.
Knowing the freezing-thawing process makes it more enjoyable and just a little bit safer knowing that you "should" be safe on the ice.
That also means that I don't let my guard down, for complacency on the ice can be a really bad thing!

As for those hidden water pockets, I jump and run mainly because I hate getting wet feet if at all possible.
Most times you can predict if there will be any by look back at the past week's weather.
Doesn't it still bites the big one when you know what to expect but don't know where they will be????

Anyway, we will all have ample time to test our nerves (and those of friends and loved ones) soon enough.

Remember to stay safe and enjoy the outdoors!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:00 PM »

Post of the day! Well done.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:07 PM »
   Our fine elected officials at work for us!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Loved the really cold nights with thick ice, 2'+ and more on a big lake like Gull in my area. Would start hearing the rumble that started over a mile away and coming fast. The snow above the crack shooting 4' in the air, every one was attentive and aware. As it would pass between us the ice would rise a couple of inches on one side. Experienced anglers, eyes wide open would chuckle, call it a good one and eventually go back about their business. As for the newbies, I wish I'd had Fruit of the Loom stock, would have had a nice dividend that quarter. These were basically ice making more ice types, killed the Smelt fishing for awhile but shortly things went back to normal. Didn't think a 4.4sec 40yd sprint was possible in a snowsuit and boots pulling a sled full of gear.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Oh how my girlfriend loves the noise of the ice cracking.....priceless look on her face lol

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Gotta love lake st Clair with an east wind......

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2013, 05:28 PM »
My favorite when F-16 breaks sound barrier and ground shakes than the Ice cracks.
The sound of Freedom.Priceless

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2013, 05:37 PM »
My favorite when F-16 breaks sound barrier and ground shakes than the Ice cracks.
THE SOUND of FREEDOM.Priceless
:flex: :thumbsup:
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:08 PM »

You sir are a champion

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:16 PM »
I'm not new to the ice but it always gets my attention and reminds me to be safe besides I can't run.

Offline SD Ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:45 PM »
During a really cold overnight trip after a decently warm day is simply amazing!! The re-freezing is soooo loud and constant throughout the night! Had a few noobs out last year and after a few cold ones they went to sleep and woke up after some loud snaps and cracks, I think they filled their shorts!!
As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a more beautiful sound than a whole lake snapping and cracking!!

Can't wait!!
The Hooded Merganser strikes again!!

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Happened to me once on a Sunday morning on one of the Finger Lakes in NY.  Believe it or not a group of Jehovah Witnesses in suits. ties and oxford shoes came out on the ice to hand out copies of the Watch Tower to the fishermen.  They heard the rumble coming, then the crack ran right past them.  Their reaction was priceless!!!

By the way, water reaches it's maximum density at 39 degrees.  Colder than that and it begins to expand.  This is why ice floats and why lakes freeze from the top down, not from the bottom up.

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:32 PM »
I agree with the prev poster about it being a beautiful sound almost musical lol

now here is my first experience

it was 2007 and this Arizona boy had never seen a frozen lake let alone been on one. I was with a friend at a great lake called eleven mile here in Colorado over a 190ft of crystal clear water when I hear a sound coming across the lake and I am inside a flip down hut. well this sound like a locomotive pulling a mile of coal cars comes rippin across the ice right be hind the hut at the moment I look down the hoel and I take a face full of cold as he!! lake water and my friend starts laughing and says go out and look behind the hut. according to him I was a bit white so I go look and we have a pressure ridge about 3 ft tall 5 ft behind the hut all I wanted to do was get off the ice as fast as possible no matter how many times he told me it was ok

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.