Author Topic: Rope  (Read 1481 times)

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
Rope
« on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Already reading about tragedies this year and season is only beginning.
I am wondering, how many of you carry a rope in an event someone falls through? 
I carry mine underneath the bucket seat lid, attached with velcro so i can get to it quick.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Rope
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:37 AM »
50 foot throw rope in a bag in the sled. Front corner can't miss it.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:49 AM »
I always have a rope handy first and last ice :afro:
AW

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I've got 100ft in the sled with loop on each end and 50 ft tied to the end of the spud bar with loop on loose end. (besides the life jacket I'll have on if its very early/late ice.)

Offline W-Cbeast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I keep one of my old Lariat ropes in my sled, the stay coiled up nice, and when/if you need it, its ready to throw.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:08 PM »
I pull the throwable and 50' rope out of my boat every year. You have to have some weight on it to ge the rope any distance!

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:26 PM »
rope is good if you have some one with you. also think a small air horn from a boat to get attention if needed. if not a flotation suit then a good life jacket to keep your head up waiting for help. lets not forget the ice picks. if your life is not precious to you it will be to family and friends. don't forget the person in the water will need that rope really close to them or they will most likely not be able to reach out and get it.

Offline mike 123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:21 PM »
i always have rope on hand 1 of the most important pieces of equi,never had to use it and hopefully never will

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:36 PM »
I keep some rope (probably around 30 feet) in my sled that I pull by hand. I figure if I'm out in the flip over behind the snowmobile, no one will fall through

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2012, 04:31 PM »
I keep a 100 ft rope in the sled with a substantial "monkey's fist" tied into one end to make it easy to throw.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2012, 05:09 PM »
I keep a 50ft 1/2" rope and flotation cushion always. if you only carry a rope, someone that's been in the water for awhile most likely will have a hard time holding on to it. might be too weak and need a flotation device. Don' t get me wrong rope is much better than no rope. we pulled a guy out once and ice was so bad we did not want to get close to him. luckily someone had a throwable cushion and we could throw it out 30 40 feet and save him.
paul

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:12 PM »
We keep 50 Ft. of 1/2" rope tied to a floatation cushion in the sled.  Saved my a$$ about 5 years ago !!!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:28 PM »
The thing about a rope is someone has to be there to throw it to you, most of the people that perish going through the ice are alone... or the people that are with them go through too.

Ropes and ice pics are second and third on the safety list...
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Well put GCD...common sense is the best
AW

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2012, 08:22 PM »
The thing about a rope is someone has to be there to throw it to you, most of the people that perish going through the ice are alone... or the people that are with them go through too.

Ropes and ice pics are second and third on the safety list...

I agree, this is why i dont venture out alone especially on sketchy ice.
I know not everyone have buddies to go with but is it really worth the risk going alone on first ice.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:03 AM »
I keep rope in my sled just in case I need to help someone.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:16 AM »
We were out on the ice and we brought a rope with us.  not very often do I or we carry one.  The one thing that bothered me was that out of 5 guys on crap thin sinking ice was that I was the only one that was carrying spikes around my neck.  I think those are as important if not more important then a rope.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:53 AM »
We were out on the ice and we brought a rope with us.  not very often do I or we carry one.  The one thing that bothered me was that out of 5 guys on crap thin sinking ice was that I was the only one that was carrying spikes around my neck.  I think those are as important if not more important then a rope.

I have the spikes too, hope to never use them.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:38 AM »
early ice I carry a rope and spikes,over 10" not on me but in the box.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:50 AM »
I have a rope any time I'm taking the shanty. I don't fish on thin ice or real late ice so I've never really ran the risk of falling through. But in the event that it ever happens I have a rope in the shanty. Once I've sent a buddy out with a rope around his waste to check a new lake after a heavy rainfall. Otherwise I use the rope to haul the sleds up hills mostly.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Carrying extra rope (min 50ft) is part of my Ice Gear ESSENTIALSALWAYS... NO MATTER THE ICE THICKNESS! Won't go on the ice without it.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I made something like this:

50' 3/8" Rope with a slip not in each end. I then used part of a kids splash pool toys. My thoughts are if anyone ever falls in the pool toy will float and help them find the rope easier. I could be wrong, hope I never have to find out :icefish:

A first aid kit is always necessary I picked this Coleman 200 piece kit up at Menards for $8 after Thanksgiving. Also the Life Gear flashlight flasher whistle combo is nice

g
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I never have but how stupid not to. I will start carrying a rope just in case someone gets in trouble.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:55 PM »
Dont know how far you could toss if you had too.  Some kind of weight might help, I would rather get hit in the head rather than not have the rope get there.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:00 PM »
My throe rope has a loop about 3' in diameter on the end with a boat fender attached. Enough weight to throw, yet won't do damage if it hits the victim in the head. The loop is so the victim can slip it around them, under the arm pits making it easier to extract them from the water.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Great idea!

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Both snowmobiles have throw bag ropes and the gear sled has a throw bag rope attached to a float cushion. Plus we each carry small boat horns for signalling.

Offline DrowningTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:39 PM »
I just purchased an NRS 75' throw rope. They are a bit spendy but it will double as my ice fishing/kayaking/rafting throw rope.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wingnut19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Always a rope and always ice picks... no matter how good the ice is

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:00 PM »
I have same setup as JerryOfWNY.  50' rope with large loop and boat fender for floatation and throwing weight.  Picks around neck and Arctic Armor suit.  I also carry a "loud" whistle but might add the airhorn.

Stay Safe!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.